“Fabulous Paws Up!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenough
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Fabulous Paws Up!!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was my first trip to Paws Up (and to the state of Montana). We stayed in one of the Wilderness Estate homes which was beautifully furnished and extremely comfortable. The activities of the resort are so varied that everyone can find something of interest. I went horseback riding and hiking. The weekend was actually an event called "Upper Crust" with pie-making expert Kate McDermott teaching classes in "sweet" and "savory" pie-making. I made the first pie of my life which turned out unbelievably delicious (much to my surprise). We also had a class with noted New York Times food photographer, Andrew Scrivini, who gave us helpful tips on photography in general as well as shooting food. Since I am somewhat of a "foodie," the highlights of the stay were the dinners planned by Bravo "Top Chef" contestants, Robin Leventhal and Dale Levitski (a fellow Chicagoan who is the chef of two outstanding restaurants in the city) and Paws Up Executive Chef, Ben Jones (who baked our pies for us). Every staff member we were in contact with made every effort to help us enjoy the weekend. We also toured the property and saw the campsites, many of which have magnificent views of the rivers and mountains. I have been back for two weeks and am still raving about the stay to my friends as well as looking at the pictures I took.

Room Tip: Determine what kind of experience you want (camping or home-type arrangement) before selecting.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sondra R
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you very much for writing this review of your recent trip to Paws Up. There is not greater thrill for us to be instrumental in introducing guests for the first time to the beautiful state of Montana.

As you know, the Upper Crust event was a first for us too. We are very pleased with how well it was received by our guests, and while we have learned some things that we will probably do a little differently, we are planning on a repeat event in 2014. Stay tuned!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
San Jose, California
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was our first time to Paws Up and my husband and I had a wonderful trip. The Cliffside Camp was breathtaking and the staff we encountered on our trip was so thoughtful. Cassie our butler was very accommodating and helpful. Cory our morning chef shared his special omelets, made great hash browns and always had something new for us to try. Niffer our dinner chef always went above and beyond and made our dining experience special. Her culinary skills were fantastic. Every meal was enjoyable and her hospitality was outstanding. The staff at the Wilderness Outpost was also really accommodating. We didn't make any excursion plans prier to arriving but the staff was able to make things happen. From fitting us with mountain bike, to our ATV tour and ending with a fly fishing tour down the river. Our guide Eric for both tours was so knowledgeable and friendly. He made our trip even more special. It was hard to leave but we can't wait to be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful time here; Cliffside Camp really is special! We are delighted that you enjoyed the activities and that we were able to accommodate your requests.

We, too, look forward to your returning again to Paws Up for more Montana fun!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just got back from Paws Up with my family (my wife & I, parents & our 2 boys) and we all can't wait to go back. What an amazing family adventure! We stayed at one the Big Timber Homes and couldn’t believe how much space we had! It was one of those moments, when you walk in and everyone says, “Oh wow!” It was rustic mixed with elegance and it felt so comfortable.

Our 2 boys (ages 9 & 6) did archery and horseback riding. We also did the River Rafting activity (I recommend the riding on the Duckies...they were so fun). The food was incredible! It was like gourmet meals, 3 times a day. Now I'm hooked on Huckleberries.

I really can't say enough about the resort and the staff. They were so accommodating & nice. It really was the trip of a lifetime and ultimate family adventure. We can't wait to go back...maybe we'll try glamping!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for writing this review. I am so pleased that we were able to contribute to your family adventure and that it has gone down in your collective memory as a trip of a lifetime.

Perhaps we will be able to welcome you back at some time in the future. Huckleberries, in their many guises will be awating you together with many more Montana adventures!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 21, 2013

It is hard to put into words how amazing this place really is. The photos you see on their website do not do the place justice. My wife and I just got back from a 4 day weekend get away to Paws Up and we cannot stop talking about how great this place is. We stayed in a Big Timber home and had the best time. The resort was not crowded, but even if it was, you feel as if you have the whole place to yourself. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The activities that we did (Cattle Drive, Mountain Bike tour and couples massage) were all amazing. The views and scenery out there is like no other place you can imagine. The food was some of the best food we have ever had, all meals gourmet and presented beautifully. If you are looking to relax and get away, look no further than Paws Up. A bit pricey, but definitely worth every penny. We cannot wait to return!!

Room Tip: Big Timber homes are great!! Tents looked cool also, but are on the opposite end of the property awa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to write this review.

I am delighted that you had such a great time at Paws Up and that you are still talking about your vacation here. It is a special place at any time of the year but right now, as the foliage is changing color and the fields take on a beautiful golden hue, I think it is one of the most spectacular.

We, too, cannot wait for you to return for more Montana adventures!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Travelling all the way from Australia to Paws Up with 2 teenagers is quite a mission, especially driving on the wrong side of the road from Jackson Hole to Missoula. The people at Paws Up really are fantastic. If fact all of the people we met from Montana are amazing. What a wonderful place. There is so much do do at Paws Up it really needs a full week to give yourself the chance to experience all that they have to offer. A special thanks to the fishing guides who successfully taught 4 first time fly fishers to catch more fish than we could have imagined. At trip to the lake is like stepping back to the 80's in a very good way. It was a blast.

The only downside would be the tented accommodation. If you don't have a great Butler, and you are fully aware of what to expect from the tents they can be a bit disappointing. We experienced that, but the manager quickly solved our issues and was more than generous in his approach.

We loved it, you get to feel what it could be like to live in such a wonderful part of the planet when you stay at Paws Up and that is just what we want from a holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I think you may be in the running for the guests who traveled the furthest to experience Paws Up and its many charms!

One of our biggest thrills is to be able to teach complete novices how to be successful in activities such as fishing, horseback riding and shooting, and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time here and we helped create lasting memories. I'm also pleased that we were able to sort out the little challenges you had with your tent and that you enjoyed the vacation as much as you did.

I know it's a long way to come, but I hope we may be able to welcome you back again in the future!
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This is our 6th time to Paws Up for a culinary experience. And again they were better than ever. The chefs prepared beautiful delicious food and the wine was awesome as well. The staff really pulled out the stops for a wonderfully awesome time

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Carmen M
Thank you so much for writing this review. As a very regular guest of Paws Up for our culinary events you are able to bring great perspective and I feel that this last Montana Master Chefs weekend was indeed one of our best to date.

Thanks also for your generosity in the auction during the Master Chef Cook Off in helping us make such a wonderful donation to the Missoula Food Bank.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon!
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My bucket-list trip to Montana started at the Resort at Paws Up. The location, ambiance, amenities, great staff, comfort and exceptional food created the benchmark for the remainder of my trip. Needless to say, nothing compared.

We opted for the tent in Pinnacle Camp so I could truthfully state I went camping and stayed in a tent. (No one would ever believe this of me.) The tent was AMAZING! (If I had known camping could be this luxurious I would have done it decades ago.) The tent's amenities were incredible; King bed with nice linens, bathrobes, a bottle of wine, heat/air conditioning, lights, as well as a spacious bathroom complete with heated tile. There was even a laundry facility in camp. We fell asleep to the sound of the rushing water of the Blackfoot River and awoke to the cries of the bald eagles. We found a little slice of heaven in Greenough, MT.

The camp has a pavilion on the banks of the Blackfoot River where meals and drinks are served. We were the only ones in camp one night and had the entire place to ourselves. Katherine, our butler, and Justin, our chef, did an amazing job of making sure all of our needs were met. We dined while watching a couple of bald eagles across the river. After dinner we sat by the huge fireplace with our after dinner drinks.

The beauty of the location, the customer-focused staff, the gourmet food and the luxurious accommodations all made for the BEST, most unique, travel experience my husband and I have had. I just wish we could have stayed a month. And, we met the CEO of Paws Up at breakfast the next morning. He personally traveled to each site on the property, which is huge, to meet the guests. Impressive. We highly recommend Resort at Paws Up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
We are very grateful to you for taking the time to write this comprehensive review of your recent stay at Paws Up. I think you have touched on the very things that make the resort so special. Thank you!

It was a pleasure to meet you and next time you come, feel free to stay for a month! Even in that time, you will find that you will have left many parts of this expansive property completely unexplored! But please return again for as long as you can and to enjoy more Montana adventures. You will always be very welcome at this Last Best Place!

Been to The Resort at Paws Up? Share your experiences!