“Great trip, with a few caveats”

and 1 more site!
The Resort at Paws Up
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenough
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I first want to say that my family and I had a wonderful time here. I also had really high expectations based on the website and their excellent pr efforts. I don't feel these expectations were entirely met.
The pros: the staff. Our camping butlers were great, the camp chefs were not only very skilled but super nice and accommodating. Most of the bell captains/drivers were very friendly although there was the occasional surliness. The activities instructors were all top notch, especially the cowboys who led the Ranching activity and our rafting and ATV guides.
Where they fall a little short is in over-promising in the luxury. They use the word very liberally here, and the very well-done and slick promotional materials and website would absolutely make you believe it. And it is really nice. The setting is nothing short of gorgeous. But my tent didn't look quite like the website...not as much furniture on the porch of the tent, not as clean, and the sheets were pilled. I realize this is pretty picky, but I feel like if any reader of this review moderates your housing expectation slightly, you will be a lot happier. If I could give Paws Up one recommendation, it would be better housekeeping. In the cabin as well we have had spotty cleaning.
This week we have also had staff ask us to post positive reviews here as there have been a few negative comments. I understand the request but it bothers me as well to be asked to do that. I hope they take this feedback into account to continue to improve this wonderful place.
All in all, a great trip. Just know that like many places, the marketing may make your expectations too high.

• Stayed: August 2011
7  Thank Periaqua
General M, General Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2011

Thank you for your letter and your valued feedback. We are so pleased to have had the opportunity to meet you during your stay with us this season. We truly enjoyed getting to know you and hope that your time spent with us in Montana provided you with breathtaking memories that will last a lifetime.

The Resort at Paws Up is dedicated to perfecting a unique luxury travel experience through impeccably appointed accommodations situated in the incomparable beauty of Montana’s unspoiled wilderness. The Resort at Paws Up strives to provide all of guests with the best possible service, and when you feel that we did not meet your expectations, it is very important for us to know. Again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

We are truly sorry that you received service that prompted you to post a review with a criticism. Be assured this will be reviewed with the staff. I do hope however that you will consider another stay with us so allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next visit. Please contact us anytime to discuss options.

Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention.

There are newer reviews for The Resort at Paws Up

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We LOVED this resort. We stayed in one of the Wilderness Estates and could not have liked it more. The decor was perfect, views from the house were beautiful, the bed and bathrooms luxurious, . . . . There was even a hot tub in the deck outside my room. And, a cool little electric car to get around in!

I was with a large group of family and friends and we all loved the activities too. We went horseback riding, chuck wagon riding to dinner, clay shooting, and atv riding just to name a few. There was something for everyone. The guides were really nice, actually, everyone at the resort was genuinely nice and incredibly helpful.

The gym is very cool with insane views, the restaurants were great, the kids who went to the kids camp had a wonderful time and always wanted to go back. My youngest daughter loved the petting zoo. Everyone we have met who has gone there raves about the place. We think it was worth every penny and we would definitely go back. We miss the s'mores around the campfire, what has got to be some of the best ice cream we have ever have, and sitting around the Tank & Trough at dinner discussing how much fun we had that day. It's a fantastic place.

Room Tip: All the houses and tents looked great, but the wilderness estates were truly lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Paws Up was a great resort! So many activites to do, like Fly Fishing, Horseback Riding, Hiking, Whitewater Rafting, Archery and much more. Activites were an A+ with a wide selection of choices aswell. The food was pretty good it needed just a little work, 2 restaurants and food service to your home. The food service to your room was a little slow but worked for how big Paws Up is. Our cabin was beautiful and like a custom built home. The Pinacle Tent Camps looked like a lot of fun from seeing them. Paws Up is extremly spread out actually it's 37,000 acres. All staff were aiming to please, but the service in the restaurants was slower then expected. On the other hand Paws Up is a great place for families and loads of fun for all ages.

Room Tip: There real is no bad home. Pinacle Tents and all cabins are to die for!
1  Thank WON2301
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I had never spent such a baffling amount of money on a four night stay before so I was expecting the ultimate resort experience. This place IS very exclusive, but still... overrated. I can't really think of anything bad to say, except that for this kind of money, more than $ 2.200 per night in a Big Timber Home, activities on the resort should be inclusive ( I have paid $ 3.500 EXTRA for 3 days of activities for 4 people) Horseback riding - on old and weary animals - was boring, woods, woods, woods... Paintball was amateuristicly organized, nice setting though. We had to pay $ 300 extra to bring us to a chuckwagon dinner - on a horse-and-carriage - of which the food was in our meal plan. They forgot to tell us when we signed in for it...
3 meals a day were inclusive. Food was good to very good, but one would expect at least 2 Michelin star quality at these rates, which it wasn't.

The Big Timber Home was superb, really exclusive, but we have stayed at these kinds of luxury lodges before at a third of this price.
The staff was overall very friendly and attentive.

To conclude: We had a good time and my family was very happy at the resort but ... I expected more.

5  Thank Marc-VdC

Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

We just returned from a family trip to Paws Up. We have mixed reviews on the resort. The property and views are stunning. We loved the activities: horseback riding, river rafting, hiking and the chuckwagon dinner on the river were unforgettable and our three children had the time of their lives. They loved kids camp and begged to go back. They have a cute petting zoo and a nice outdoor play structure for children.

The staff is perfectly pleasant but the service isn't quite were it should be for a resort charging these prices. We reserved a Wilderness Estate and after activities, spa treatments, etc were added, the total was around $5k a night. I don't mind paying these prices but the value just wasn't there. The quality/service/wow factor wasn't at the same level as an Aman Resort or Four Season. The homes felt a bit worn and dirty. SPA town had amazing views but my massage therapist reeked of cigarettes (covered up with mint) and my tent was overheated and didn't have proper ventilation so it was quite uncomfortable.

One of the biggest disappointments of Paws Up was the food. The breakfast service was the best offering of the day. The oatmeal and breakfast burrito were tasty. Lunch was similar to what you find in an airport (soggy salads, wraps, overcooked cheeseburger) and dinner was very meat heavy. I would have preferred some nice, local fish but the only options were 4 types of meat or veggie risotto which didn't seem appealing in the summer heat. The best part of the meal was s'mores by the fire after dinner. The menu changes weekly so fortunately we were only there for 4 nights. I can't imagine that same food for 7 days.

We had a great stay but we will try glamping at the Ranch at Rock Creek next summer.

1  Thank nmieke
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is not your typical camping trip. Paws Up offers glamping--the glamorous side of camping. The "tent" I stayed in had an attached bathroom with heated floors, the bed was heated and even had an electric fireplace. My tent butler was priceless, even taking me on a bit of a nature hunt while we were waiting for a ride. Hannah, the skeet shooting instructor, was phenomenal, and created a real fan out of me. The spa was terrific and the entire venue was phenomenal. It was a bit tough to get used to everything being so far apart, but it does sit on 37,000 acres. That's some wide open spaces!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the tents that have the attached bathrooms (not the community ones).
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I visited Paw's Up with a friend over the long July 4th weekend and stayed in one of the "tents". The property is magnificent, the accommodations luxurious and the activities were great - as strenuous (or not) as you want them. I found the staff to be helpful and knowledgeable and both staff and other guests were nice, smart and fun. I was hesitant at first because of the price tag, but it was worth every penny and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in a tent with bathroom. It was great
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Resort at Paws Up? Share your experiences!