“West-Mex”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Me and my husband are from Chicago and where looking for an authentic mexican restaurant. Needless to say El Comendor is not authentic Mexican food, I would say it is West Mex. So if your looking for West -Mex this is your place. So expect a kind of Taco-bell and Taco-John type of food for a bigger price. We had the appetizer called "salsa con queso" with is much like velveta melted cheese with some salsa from a jar. What was really good was there boysenberry daiquiri which was made with fresh fruit (best i have ever had). Me and my husband never did find an authentic Mexican food restaurant. Service was quick and friendly

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I first ate at El Comedor in the 70's when it was part of the Pin and Cue across town, and still refer to their current address as "the new location". When in Great Falls, I always find a time to swing by for lunch. I've had their homemade sauce (which you can buy and take with you) shipped to me around the country.

So what kind of food does a restaurant have to have to command 40 years of loyalty? Simply the very best. And El Comedor is the very best.

Their "Famous Fluffy" taco is their hallmark, and you won't find another taco like it anywhere in the country. Their homemade Chili Rellenos are as good as I've ever found. So are their homemade beans.

The only thing I tend to steer clear of is their nachos, which uses American nacho cheese. They'd do better melting cheddar over the chips in the oven. Other than that, though, you won't go wrong.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We travel several hundred miles out of our way to visit El Comedor. I have been going there since I was in high school, and the quality of the food is top notch. Ambiance is great and service is good. We talk to other friends from Great Falls that live in Oregon, and we all talk about El Comedor as a place to visit. I haven't been able to get there for a couple years and miss it. It is probably not what I'd consider authentic Mexican, but the nachos, "Fluffy Tacos", and Chili Rellenos are outa this world!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

El Comedor is famous for the fluffy taco for a reason. If you can't decide on the hard or soft shell, this is the taco for you. It is hard to describe - you will just have to try one. We go for a fluffy taco all most every time we go to Great Falls. They are great. The rest of the food is good and typical of american style mexican restaurants. The service is hit and miss but good most of the time. The hot sauce is really hot so be careful the first time. The salsa is mild.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We decided to try out some Authentic Mexican while in Great Falls recently. We basically just picked this place from other trip advisor reviews. The restaurant is basic looking but the service isn't great. Our waitress seemed angry for no reason at all. When we asked what she would recommend it seemed like a real inconvenience for her. Too bad.
We enjoyed the chips and salsa. We both had the fluffy tacos and the Fat Albertos. I don't really get what the hype is about these fluffy tacos. It was just 'ok. The Fat Alberto was really good though. And we went for the fried ice cream for dessert and it was pretty good. Will I go back? Maybe. Maybe not. I'll probably try some of the other Mexican restaurants first!

1  Thank Roadtrips2012