“If you have a drinking problem this place is for you!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Moonshine Grill - CLOSED

Moonshine Grill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“If you have a drinking problem this place is for you!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Trying to find a decent restaurant in Great Falls, Montana is a challenge and this one does nothing to improve the culinary landscape. While the service is very good and the prices moderate the executive chef needs to taste the items on the menu. The addition of alcohol to sauces and some recipes can enhance and provide a subtle layer of flavour. The addition of too much or to the wrong food is just a waste of the alcohol and the food. The latter is unfortunately the case here. Starting with bourbon in the butter which accompanies the slightly warm small loaf of bread at the start, through to its overpowering presence in the spaghetti sauce, "moonshine" would be something best left out of the recipe. From the over abundance of the whisky in the pasta sauce, to the lack of any other moisture (i.e tomato sauce) and excessive amount of ground meat this was one of the worst spaghetti bologneses I have ever tried to eat. The diner next to us did recommend the rib eye but she was taking half of it home in a "doggie bag".

• Visited April 2013

“Tried it twice, won't be a third time.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

First try : ordered stuffed chicken, it was incredibly dry & over cooked, my husband had very dry chicken as well. The side of green beans was really good though. Second try : order fettuccine alfredo and it was so overloaded with garlic that I had to send it back - and I like garlic a lot. Second serving of it was just bland & a huge disappointment. My friend ordered the French dip and it had an overpowering taste of soy sauce, just weird & awful. We left very dissatisfied.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Mrsturk
“Great Steak”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Did not realize this was no longer Macaroni Grill, but decided it would be fun to try something new. We were told all of the Macaroni Grill's in Montana were changed to this Moonshine Grill.

We were there early, which turned out to our advantage. By the time we were leaving they were getting busy and service went downhill fast. The server had no idea about any of the items we had questions on, neither from the kitchen nor the bar. The steak came with 2 sides, but if you wanted one of them to be a salad, it was extra. Extra, you have to be kidding for the 1 cup serving of lettuce with dressing. On top of that it was bad lettuce and mostly core. Ok, thats the down side. Had a strip with bourbon sauce. That was the best steak I have had in years! The mushrooms were good also. My better half had the same as I, said the steak was awesome. Had the salad too and rice pilaf. I tasted his rice, gummy and boring. But the steak was so very good and guess that is what you want out of a steak house.

I am pretty sure the only thing they changed were the pictures on the walls. Still have butcher paper on the tables with the crayons. Said they kept the house wine from before, but bar and bar menu is trying to be upscale whiskey bar and recipes. Good concept I guess, just doesn't fit with the vibe of the restaurant.

But did I mention that the steak was great? So that gets a 5, but the rest was just an average 3, so they get 4.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank FortPeck
liberty112
“Service was good, until the tables filled up... Menu had some fun choices”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I were in Great Falls, MT for work and after scouring the Trip Advisor reviews for "good eats" we just decided to "give up" looking and we picked the Moonshine Grill because it was close to our hotel.

I had never heard of or been to a Moonshine Grill before, but upon entry I knew we had picked a good fit for us. The decor was "upscale" in a southern kind of way. As southern as Great Falls, Montana can probably get. We were seated right in front of the amazing fireplace which was a nice treat.

I ordered the burger with a hint of cinnamon in the sauce. While it was good, I would have prefered a bit more "sweet" and a bit more generous in the toppings. It was only the burger, the sauce, and the bun. No cheese or veggies. My husband had a macaroni pasta dish with a hint of tabasco sauce. It was tasty!

My only complaint with this place is our service started off as excellent! However, as the place filled up and our waiter was given in my opinion an excessive amount of tables to serve, our service disappeared. To the point that we didn't get refills on our drinks and we had to wait an extremely long time to have our empty plates cleared and then to get our check. Had this not happened, the Moonshine Grill would have received a 5 star rating from me. However, I give them a 3 overall because of the lack of attention we were given after the place filled up.

• Visited February 2013
Great Falls, Montana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We frequented the Macaroni Grill, disappointed that the owners changed venues but decided to give it a chance. No friendly people here now. The hostess practically snarled at us when she finally noticed we were standing at the front of the restaurant. We definitely did not feel welcome or that they were pleased to see us. It comtinued with the rest of the dinner. It was a very average experience including including poor service, average food, and cold overpriced coffee. These folks have made a big mistake. There is good reason why franchised restaurants are successful. This one is not on our list anymore!

Visited March 2013