“Great Lewis & Clark river tour”

Montana River Outfitters - Day Tours
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Montana River Outfitters is a first class company. They set up a day rafting trip for us on the Missouri River following the path of Lewis & Clark. Our boatman was Jay who expertly handled the raft while historian Don Peterson made the history books come alive as he pointed out the portage camps of Lewis & Clark. The river looks like it did in 1806 and we never saw another person during our float. They are nice people who do a great job! We can't wait to go back with our grand kids.

7  Thank Calistoga Grower

Reviewed July 16, 2012

One of the most anticipated aspects of my trip to MT was to fly fish one of the blue ribbon trout rivers with my son who is stationed out here.

While both of us have fished, neither of us had ever fly fished. In fact, the sum total of my fly fishing knowledge was gleaned from watching the movie, "River Runs Through It" ("fly fishing is done on a four count with the rod staying between 10 & 2").

Having never booked a fly trip, and not knowing we were in peak season, I called the guys at Montana River Outfitters (they have stores in both Great Falls and Wolf Creek but all the fishing is done out of Wolf Creek) on a Monday seeking to book a Thursday or Friday float trip. It never occurred to me that demand might outpace supply and that we might not be able to book a trip. The man on the phone, though, told me he'd see what he could do. I added, quickly, that my son and I had never held a fly rod in our hands.

Within a few hours I got a call back telling me that a float trip would be available and that our guide was experienced (and successful) in teaching beginners.

We arrived at the outfitters at 7 am and met our guide, Art Newman. After a casting lesson behind the building we were off. We put in at Holter Dam for a 10 hour float down river to Craig. The morning started with a very challenging wind making it difficult for us novices to cast. Art, the very patient guide, untangled the bird nests we made of our lines and patiently taught us how to adapt our cast to accommodate the wind. As the day went along the conditions changed. From strong winds to no winds and 100° full sun. For every condition Art coached us through the skill necessary. And, by the end of the day we were casting pretty well. Even better, Art put us on fish (that's the point, right?). And these two rookies had a blast fighting brownies and rainbows. Along the way we saw mulies (bucks in velvet), white pelicans (they're brown in my part of the world) bald eagles and golden eagles.

This father and his son had a great day.

What to know:
Call as far in advance as you can to book your trip. The Wolf Creek phone number is 406.235.4350
The cost is $450 per boat (two person boats - plus your guide)
The normal tip is $100 per boat (obviously, the guide's helpfulness, knowledge and your success are important factors).
You will need a MT fishing license (which they don't sell at the Outfitters, but they do just down the road at a local store).
Lunch, snacks and drinks are supplied by the guide. Art brought a floating feast. Also, we have nut allergies which we disclosed when we booked our trip and all the food he provided was nut free.
Bring a good sunscreen, a hat, polarized sunglasses, bug spray and a camera.
Ask for Art Newman to guide you - especially if you're a beginner. He's a good teacher, a good guide and was great to talk to over the course of the day.

3  Thank TreadingGrain
Reviewed September 1, 2011

we took a trip with 6 of us doing a float trip. it was about 1 hr out of great falls. they drove us there and got us back to the shop. our guide was great (vern) kept us interested with his stories and ran a safe trip. they run white water trips and multi day trips as well. if they are as well run as ours i would sign up any day.

10  Thank Kathleen S