“Many deficiencies”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Gardiner
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Many deficiencies”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel from 10 - 12 September, 2013 as part of a group of 28 photographers from Australia. On the plus side, the rooms were spacious and comfortable. But what really lets this hotel down is the lack of a refrigerator and microwave in most rooms. There was more than adequate space in our room. And looking at the cost, with the buying power of such a chain, the cost of both items would probably be only $150. Compare this with a typical room rate of $250 per day!

When my wife asked to store some items in the main hotel cool room, she found staff non co-operative to the point of hostility and was reduced to tears as a result of one such encounter.

As for the breakfast provided, this was on a par with most of the hotels we stayed at in Montana and Wyoming, somewhat edible, but that's all. None of our group were impressed by the breakfast provided.

There are relatively few places of accommodation next to Yellowstone Park, and I believe the owners of this place figure that providing a bare minimum is all that is needed. Will certainly never go back to this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank charlesk1000
mt411, General Manager at Comfort Inn Yellowstone North, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would like to address the refrigerator comment. We do have several rooms with refrigerators. The group contact did not book those rooms however. I am sorry if the staff members responded badly when your wife asked to use our commercial walk-in. By our health laws, we are not to put guests items in the commercial walk-in. Our guests opinions mean a lot to us. I do hope you visit again, and give us a chance to improve your opinion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
North Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

it's quite convenient to the north entrance to yellowstone, the staff is very nice, and they serve chocolate chip cookies in the afternoons, but...there are many deficiencies in this old motel.

the walls between rooms are so thin, that not only can you hear people talking in both adjacent rooms, you can actually hear all the words in their conversations to the point that you want to join in.

you can hear all the plumbing from the adjacent rooms - showers, sinks, toilets. in addition, the exterior window allows lots of outside noise as well - cars beeping, people talking, wind, etc.

the decor is dated - carpet, draperies, and old heavy bedspreads. it seemed clean enough, but you still wonder when the bedspreads were laundered last. the lighting is adequate.

there are no modern electrical conveniences, so i had to plug in my laptop on the floor between the bed and the wall. and a pet peeve is that the old style under-window air conditioner had no air guard to direct the air into the room - it just blows up under the draperies. very inefficient.

there was no frig or microwave which we've become used to in other comfort inn's up to date locations.

of the 20 or so tv channels available, no PBS channel was included.

and if you don't like dead animals hanging on the walls, you won't want to eat breakfast here, even if it is 'free'.

last but not least, the place is expensive for what you get - you're definitely paying extra for the location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnelrog

Travelers are raving about these Gardiner hotels

Appleton, Wi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

In town just outside the North entrance to Yellowstone . No pool or hot tub, average room size, a bit pricey but they have a big hot breakfast so you can save money with that. Fun little town. Location is the best reason to stay.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had spent the day driving from Idaho Falls through the Grand Tetons and from the south entrance of Yellowstone all the way to the north entrance and then on to Gardiner. First let me say the room was very nice, very clean and the staff was very nice. We got the last room they had available for the night. Since there are very few hotels in Gardiner, or rather ones that we would even consider staying in we felt lucky just to have a room, however we did not feel lucky about having to pay $178.00 for one night for 2 people Sorry this is just a motel, and even though they did include a mediocre breakfast, the room was way overpriced. We just feel because you are tired from driving through Yellowstone and there are not many nice places to stay, they have you so naturally you are going to pay a premium price for a motel room. We have stayed in much nicer rooms for a whole lot less money, but then again, they were not in the middle of nowhere. My advise to anyone heading out west, be prepared to spend a lot for a room. We have stayed in Comfort Inn's all over the country, in fact they are usually our first choice, and have never paid this much for Comfort Inn room. Comfort Inn's usually run about $100 a night give or take two or three dollars and in some areas as low as in the $70's and $80.00 dollar range. So I feel that anyone who stays in Gardiner, MT is going to be charged big dollars simply because of Yellowstone park. Traveler beware of big motel bills in Wyoming.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We arrived after a long day in the park. The clerk was very friendly and our room was nice and clean. One issue we had was people in the room next to ours. It seemed it was a group of men who was having a good time even at midnight. We had turned off the a/c since it was cold but my husband got up and turned it back on so we could sleep. The laughing and loud talking just kept on going. At one point I thought I heard a dog barking. The hallway to our room also smelled like a wet dog so not sure if there was an actual dog that had been in the hallway that caused the smell or what caused the smell.
The breakfast was good and other than those issues out stay was good.

1 Thank Louisianagirl51
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

The normal procedure when you check into your room is to get your key, go into your room. If only this would have happened when we checked in here I would have had a much better day. After a day in Yellowstone, we were tired and hungry and just wanted to check in, go eat dinner, chill for a bit and get a good nights sleep. 1. The key did not work, so I went back down to the desk. The desk clerk ran them again and said now they will work. Great, back to the room, still did not work. 2. Go back down to the desk again and the clerk came back to the room with me, the keys still did not work, but her master key did work. Tells us to wait in the hall and she will be back. 3. After waiting a bit she does come back but the keys still do not work. We are told to wait in the hall again. 4. The "Manager" comes back the next time and keys still do not work. By this time we have been in the hall at least a half hour or more. I express that I am very upset at this point. She tells us that we can get our money back (room booked and paid for since December 2012) and go somewhere else. I was not going to do this because I strongly doubt we could find another room. She finally puts us in another room on the first floor, we go eat and when we come back keys do not work. The manager has to come and let us in again. In the morning keys still did not work so had to eat in shifts. When we went to eat in the evening after finally getting in a room I asked if they had a 100 percent satisfaction like Hampton Inn, she again told me I could leave if not satisfied. I told her I felt my room should be free. When checking out, no discount was gave, when I asked for it the day manager did give me 50 percent off. I just feel like this could have been handled so differently. Do not leave your guest standing in the hallway. They could have apologized and said hey go have dinner at our restaurant on us, while we get this matter corrected. I know things happen, but it is all in how it handled by the staff. I feel that the staff that evening failed to provide good service. You can not leave tired hungry people just standing around in a hallway with their luggage.
As far as the hotel itself, the room we had was nice and clean. Breakfast was nothing too special. I am not a hunter, so I cannot appreciate on the wildlife trophies hanging in the lobby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stingray600
mt411, General Manager at Comfort Inn Yellowstone North, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
As manager, again, I do apologize for this situation. The front desk staff thought the keys were going to work when they brought them back each time to try in the doors, so they didn't offer to have you bring your luggage back and forth to the lobby. I will say, they were very frustrated also, and did feel bad that they were unable to remedy the problem. Yes, we would have refunded your nights stay, if you had decided to stay at another location. I still don't know what happened with the locks. Maintenance looked at them, but couldn't find a problem. We haven't had a problem since, so I am just not sure. Again, I do apologize that this happened to you during your stay.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is our 3rd stay at this Comfort Inn and as always it was a great time. The rooms are clean the beds are great, and the breakfast is good. The breakfast area has lots of seating , which is really nice. The staff is also always so nice and friendly. I do want to apologize for another guest that was there while we were. For some reason her keys or lock on the door was not working. She was causing quite a scene in the hallway while the poor front desk girl was doing everything she could to get the door open. It would be great if everything worked the way it was suppose to all the time, but things happen. I was impressed with the calm the front desk girl had while being screamed at. Anyway, we had a great stay and we’ll be back next year.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Rodeway Inn and Suites
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#1 of 6 in Gardiner
Yellowstone Basin Inn
Yellowstone Basin Inn
#2 of 6 in Gardiner

Been to Comfort Inn Yellowstone North? Share your experiences!