“Great hotel: very, very close to Yellowstone!”

Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Gardiner
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We just spent four nights in this hotel. The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and the breakfast is great! We ate at the restaurant one night (it was a little funny, since it's in the same place as the breakfast area). The food at the restaurant was the best we had in town and the young waiter was so kind and efficient. The reason I marked it a 4 out of 5 is due to the cleaner that they must have been using. My son described it as smelling like "pepper." It was a strange smell, but we kept the fan/A/C on and that seemed to help. Otherwise, you can't beat it, being so close to the entrance and Mammoth.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate our guests feedback. We instantly went and investigated the strange "smell" in the room. Thank you, again.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We are big fans of Comfort Inns and this one was one of our favorites. When I found out what the Lodges in Yellowstone were charging, this one was a bargain. The Inn is all rust ic furniture and decor, but has all the modern conveniences. location is wonderful-1 mile to the North Entrance of Yellowstone. We had no trouble with the WiFi although it was a little slow. Given the locale, this did not seem all that surprising. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We arrived late the first night and ate at the restaurant in the Inn. Although the menu is limited, the chef was very good. We are from the Washington DC area so it is not like we have no means of comparison. We took the Yellowstone in One Day tour the next day through the Park services, which was also great. They picked us up at the Inn. Again, we were too tired to go out and had some good drinks and food in the restaurant again. Our experience was very good so I was surprised at some of the other reviews. Just one complaint-those rock hard sausage patties for breakfast have been replaced at other Comfort Inns with juicy sausages. Just sayin'.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our furnishings and decor are definitely different from most other Comfort Inns. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the compliment on our restaurant and pub. Also, thank you for the tip on the sausages. I will look into what other Comfort Inns are serving. I hope we can provide accomodations for you again in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Reserved on line and checked into hotel. Unpacked and tried to use WIFI. Called the front desk to find out if there was a code and they told me the code (most hotels ask at check in and provide for you). I then tried and ONLY then did I learn WHY they had not provided to me. The front desk employee told me they were having difficulty with their router in that part of the hotel and suggested I come down to the lobby?!! I told them that I paid for a room with WIFI and felt I should have been told earlier. They then told me they had rooms with WIFI towards the front of the hotel?!! So I needed to change rooms but they wanted me to trade in the keys to the old before a new would be given to me. When I finally convinced them to let me move my stuff first, they allowed me to have two different room keys. When I tried using the key, the desk employee had keyed in the wrong room (so down two floors AGAIN to get the key programmed correctly). The WIFI worked great when I got settled in . . . but just to make everything the most fun . . . it was DAY 2 I discovered that the front desk employee only programmed the new room for one night instead of the 3 nights I had reserved?!! So up and down I went again to deal with their incompetence!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank OffRoadJ
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you had problems with our internet provider. We now have another option for an internet provider and have switched to that company. Our password for the service is provided in our guest directory in each room, along with other important information. We understand that internet service is important to our guests and we try and provide the best service possible.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here two nights. Everything ok except the wifi and price. If I pay $165 a night I expect everything to work, if it doesn't, fix it when it's reported. I complained 4 times about the poor/no wifi. The response was, really no one else is having problems with it. Actually overheard a guy checking out that complained about poor wifi, he got the same answer I got!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank RZR1
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We spent the last night of our 11 day vacation here instead of driving back to Bozeman because we wanted one more day in Yellowstone. We called 4 N.Yellowstone motels before we came upon a vacancy at this one. We got the last room, a King, which is what we prefer. Expensive, but with no other choices we took it. Front desk is friendly. Hallways, room, bed, bathroom is clean. The ceiling fan is cleaner than the one in my own bedroom! There is a full restaurant and upstairs bar off the lobby. Very nice feature. Breakfast is served in this restaurant area. Scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits & gravy, cook your own waffles, cereals, yogurt, hardboiled eggs,apples,oranges, breads and sweet rolls....what else do you need? It was good, much better than other included lobby breakfasts I've encountered. The walls of this restaurant area are decorated with many animal trophy heads, elk,deer,prong horn, big horn sheep,moose, and a rather large fully upright bear. I believe I read the owner hunted all these. Point is if these types of areas aren't maintained with routine cleaning, they get dingy, dusty, tired and old looking. These trophies are pristine clean, museum quality and I see it as appropriate decor for a motel 5 miles outside of Yellowstone.
You can't blame the hotel for loud neighbors or a broken bathroom fixture. The judgement should be made after first letting the desk know of these issues and then seeing what they do or how quickly they resolve the issue. It's the subjective vs the objective.
The south facing porch is lined with benches facing the beautiful, grass covered, peaceful mountain range, a lovely place to sit and unwind after a day in the park.
We decided if we were to return to the area we would choose The Comfort Inn in Gardiner, MT as home base for the duration of our time at the park.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
mt411, Manager at Comfort Inn Yellowstone North, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your views are greatly appreciated. Each guest is very important to us, and we try to make each stay relaxed and enjoyable. We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We only stayed one night but the front desk was friendly and the room was good size and very clean. A very quite room with a typical breakfast served in the morning. We did have a drink at the bar upstairs which was pleasant with a very friendly bar tender.........not much on wine but very big on beer. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Comfort Inn Motel In Gardiner Was An Excellent Choice For A Place To Stay On Our Visit To The Park. Clean Room And Friendly Workers. I Was Very Pleased With The Pricing. Only 2-Minutes From The North Entrance To YELLOWSTONE PARK. If Ever In This Area Aagain I Will Stay Here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Rodeway Inn and Suites
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Gardiner/Yellowstone Park Area
Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge
Yellowstone Gateway Inn
Yellowstone Gateway Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardiner

Been to Comfort Inn Yellowstone North? Share your experiences!