“Great value, great location”

Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge
Melbourne, Australia
“Great value, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

While the decor on the inside is nothing special, the queen bedroom and bathroom was spacious enough for us. The rooms are clean and the beds are extremely comfortable. The lodge is well located on the main road in town near restaurants and close to the Yellowstone entrance. The nearby Cowboy bar and grill just over the bridge is a good bet for dinner and breakfast. Each room has a balcony overlooking the river with a couple chairs and a table - perhaps better to use when the temperature is a bit higher than -7 C in the storm which occurred during our stay. At $50 a night for a double, it represents excellent value compared to the chain motels in town.

Room Tip: If you want to self cater or pop a bit of corn, choose a room with a kitchenette, rather than the st...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wilandale
Chris H, Owner at Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay especially since you traveled all the way from Down Under. Thank you for the kind review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Muscadine, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here and had the best time. We sat on the balcony at night listening to the river and sipped on a nice local brewed beer purchased from the local store. We had the best family time ever. The feller that runs the place was awesome. Great customer service and he put us in rooms next to each other. It was so nice sharing balconies with my mom. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Bigcat12
Chris H, Owner at Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thanks for staying with us on your trip to Yellowstone. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and can't wait to have you back.
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

I just stayed here for a work trip to Yellowstone. The rates were below government rates, so that was a plus right away. There were five others in our party and they took standard rooms. Jokingly, I asked if they had other rooms available, and they did but at a higher rate, $15 more, still $15 below government rate. I took the room and it had a full kitchen, separate clean and roomy bathroom, and a balcony overlooking the river and the surrounding mountains in the park. The kitchen had a large dorm size fridge, stove top with 4 burners and large microwave. This was a corner unit, room 121, which I recommend. The only issue was the snow plows going by at night, hence 4 stars rather than 5 stars. With a small kitchen table with four chairs, my room became the hangout. The wifi worked great, but expect to have a 1990s TV in the room. You can walk to all the restaurants, and it's only 2 minutes to the park entrance and another 5 min to Warm Springs. I'm not sure what the prices are during the high season, but if you're visiting the park during the off season, you can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: Room 121 is at the top of the stairs on the corner on the second floor. Great spot for views of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NPSTraveler
Chris H, Owner at Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your business and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We'll be updating those 1990 TV's very soon:) We've been busy doing a lot of updating and that's next on the list.
Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

After staying 6 nights in small rooms in the Parks, our room at Absaroka was a welcome surprise. We reserved a suite with full kitchen and that's what we got. It was on the second floor of the building set farthest back on the property; private and quiet. We really recommend this lodge.

Room Tip: suite with full kitchen, farthest building on property.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gloriabb
Chris H, Owner at Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. You're right staying outside the Park in hotels like ours are definitely the way to visit Yellowstone.
Butte, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Very nice Hotel on the river and next to the Bridge. Easy to walk to restaurants. River is beautiful and it's an easy drive into the park. Beautiful view of Montana's and fair price. Great place to visit every season

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank philosopherkingtomas
Thank you so much for your business and we're glad you enjoyed your stay.
Clinton Township, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

A whole lot of good, A little bit of disappointment, A little suggestion.

I came to Gardiner for a friend's wedding. She lives in the area/works at Yellowstone so she suggested Absaroka because of their winter rates. Their winter rates were SO reasonable! I was really excited that after coming so far we wouldn't spend an arm and a leg on a place to stay.

When I made my reservation online, I had written in the special request area that we were coming a really long way and would love a top floor room with a view. I was really excited after looking at the pictures because of the beautiful view of the mountains and river. Also, which I will mention a little later, I believe the site tells you that you should call if you're going to arrive later than 7pm.

5 days before arriving I found out that our dates would have to change so I called and spoke with someone who told me they would make a note of arriving and leaving 1 day earlier. I also called twice before so they knew we would be arriving after 7pm.

When we arrived it was a tad after 9 and the woman behind the desk told me she had been calling me (we drove through the south of the park so I didn't have reception) because she wasn't sure when I was coming. She told me there was a note I would be coming in 1 day earlier but she wasn't sure... I think it was just because we had a 12+ hour drive that it was a little frustrating to hear. Luckily, she hadn't closed the office for the evening and we were still able to get our room.

When she handed us our key she told me that there weren't any top floors available. I was okay with that because I figured we would still have a view. When we woke up in the morning, I walked out onto our little balcony (which was so great to have!) and saw a beautiful view of the bridge (we were the first room off of the road) and thankfully a mountain! When we looked to the left, we saw a big tree. I was so disappointed. I found myself telling everyone how disappointed I was because I kept seeing pictures online of such a great panoramic view and was really looking forward to being spoiled with it. It was a little more frustrating to hear our friends staying in the second building didn't have neighbors on either side of them and their view was great. Unfortunately while laying in bed we could hear all the cars/trucks passing on the bridge. It was just an eye roll that's all. I didn't want to be difficult so I didn't ask them to move out room. I figured if they knew I would have really liked a view and I didn't get it, I wasn't going to bother them with it.

The staff was wonderful! We got a knock on the door asking if we wanted room service/wanted our towels replaced, etc. They have a beautiful friendly dog that lays around the property and lets you pet it :) The staff gave us suggestions as to where to get breakfast since they don't offer it on location, etc (my own opinion: choose the Town Cafe over the Two Bit Saloon!).

When I walked outside on our first morning there was an elk standing next to me car :) So, the view and the wildlife are all around you!

My biggest suggestion would be to include a mini fridge in the room. I have special dietary needs so it was really inconvenient. Luckily, it was super cold in the morning so we were able to put some of our drinks and food outside on the balcony overnight.

If we ever come back to Gardiner/Yellowstone, I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the far away building, away from the road, on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Heather G
We're glad to hear you would recommend our hotel and we appreciate your business. Sorry for a little confusion you may have encountered upon check in.
Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Room OK but could truly use some updating. Nice thing about this place is the sitting area in front of the room, but as we only stayed one night could not make good use of it unfortunately. Hotel choices are very limited in this small town and could use some competition to force all these places and restaurants to do some updating as years go by.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris H, Owner at Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Just wanted to point out that we've done lots of updating this year making a big investment back in the property. Since early Spring, new beds in every room, new high profile toilets, new carpet in lobby and hallways, new lamps, new in room coffee makers and new deck chairs. Coming soon, new flat screen tv's, new room chairs. With the beautiful view this is one of the top hotels near Yellowstone. Thanks for your review and come back and see us to enjoy all of the new upgrades.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Rodeway Inn and Suites
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,936 reviews
Super 8 Gardiner/Yellowstone Park Area
Yellowstone Gateway Inn
Yellowstone Gateway Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardiner

Been to Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge? Share your experiences!