“Overlooking the river”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Rustic venue, good food. We stopped here after an afternoon drive into Yellowstone for drinks and appetizers. We had the fried shrimp, nachoes and hummus appetizers. All the food was well prepared. I tried two of the local beers and was well satisfied. The bad weather kept us from being able to sit outside and it was a little warm inside. No a/c. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Burgers, Nachos etc. Good waitress. Typical bar food, pricey for what it was. Very windy on outside porch.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

This out of the way place is worth eating at - if it's nice outside. If you're staying up at Mammoth Lodge - your choices for eats are very slim. It's about a 15 or 20 minute ride from Mammoth to Gardner MT. The restaurant is right ON THE YELLOWSTONE RIVER! You can eat out on the patio and enjoy the river and the great food. The food really is good. It's Pub style food - but very good!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were staying at Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel but we were looking for a unique experience other than what was offered on the premises. After doing a self-guided tour of Fort Yellowstone we learned of how soldiers in the late 1800's would walk the 5 miles into the nearest town of Gardiner, Montana to visit a 'house of ill-repute & to gamble.' We drove into town and were amazed at the length of that walk and hilly terrain these soldiers had to traverse for some entertainment. Gardiner is definitely a working Montana town. While crossing the Yellowstone River we spotted the Iron Horse Bar & Grill terrace with plenty of people enjoying the beautiful weather. It was a bit confusing finding our way to the restaurant since the posted signs pointing to where the restaurant is are on small but once we find it we were excited to experience this eclectic restaurant.
We ordered an appetizer: spiced elk topped nachos with pico de gallo salsa - outstanding!
My husband ordered a bison sirloin which was done to perfection. I ordered a bison burger with the fries. As others have commented; the fries were a delicacy! How can fries be a delicacy you ask? These fries were delicately fried mashed potato sticks. The inside of each fry was soft and delicious while the outside has a seasoning I couldn't quite place but it reminded me of Lawry's seasoned salt. Oh and yes, my bison burger was also amazing. I ordered the jalapeno topped bison burger and each bite was only just so spicy and wonderfully juicy.
The wait staff were friendly and willing to answer our questions regarding their selection of beer. We sat at the counter overlooking Yellowstone River and watched people rafting down the river. An excellent meal; an excellent selection of drinks and menu choices; an excellent view! You can't go wrong at this restaurant.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

During a recent stay in Yellowstone we had lunch here. The fries are to die for! They were so crispy and crunchy! I had the black bean burger and I can honestly say it was the best ever! People near us ordered a salad and they looked great as well. My husband had a elk burger that he enjoyed immensely. Friendly atmosphere as well.

1  Thank mirraFlorida