“Amazing adventure!”

Yellowstone Raft Company
More attraction details
Owner description: The Yellowstone Raft Co. pioneered rafting on the Yellowstone River in 1978 and continue to provide exciting, fun, and safe trips for families and visitors to Yellowstone National Park. We offer a variety of whitewater, scenic, kayaking, horseback, and hiking trips that can accommodate all ability levels and acquaint you with the greater Yellowstone area. Offering trips May-September, call about group discounts.
Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

Family of 4, and did a full day with YRC. Awesome rafting experience, such beautiful scenery and very nice guides.
Then we did Hourse back riding through the absaroka, very easy ride, also such great scenery! And very knowledgeable Wranglers, and amazing horses, my family all enjoyed our trip with YRC!

All reviews
"raft company"
"yankee jim canyon"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed June 13, 2018

My family opted for the Paddle and Saddle Deluxe Combo. The first "issue" was we had to drive to the horse stables which meant driving on a dirt road with several potholes. Then as we were mounting the horses there were several horses that seemed like they did not want to be ridden. My horse happened to be one of them. I have ridden several times before so I thought it would be fine once we got started.

However, I mounted my horse about midway through my group so as we were waiting for the others to get on their horses my horse and three others started to walk away or act skittish, so much so one of the trial guides had to hold the three horses by their bridle to keep them calm.

The guide holding our horses told us the horses "were new to them" but assured us that they would calm down once on the trial. Once we got on the trail, I thought there would be a problem. The trail was extremely rocky and the horse in front of me and my horse were stumbling slightly while going up the hills on the way out. I was able to control my horse "Manitoba" until the last downgrade of the trail less than 1/4 mile from the stables. That is when my horse lost its footing and both of its front feet went out from under him. Once the horse recovered, it bolted and I was thrown off the horse. I subsequently fell down the ridge about 30 feet.

Luckily, I did not break any bones. I was extremely sore and scraped up on my back shoulder and head. The "lead guide" was already walking another problem horse on the trail so my son had to jump off his horse to assist me. I lost my prescription glasses and a lens cap for my camera.

Once back at the stable the guide asked me if I was OK. I guess my adrenaline was still pumping because I seemed OK. But as the day went on I started to hurt more.

I do not recommend the horse riding part of this package. If I were litigious I would sue this place for negligence.

I gave this place 2 stars because the rafting trip was great. The rafting guide was great, the river was great. The ice cold water helped my swollen ankle. And the rest of my party had a great time.

One last thing I will mention. At no time did the horse stable or Yellowstone Raft Company offer to refund at least my part of the event because of the accident. The acted like this was normal.

Be aware of who you are dealing with.

Date of experience: June 2018
YRCfamily, Owner at Yellowstone Raft Company, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2018

Hello Yeaholden,

First and foremost, we are very happy you enjoyed your rafting experience! I am SO very sorry you did not have a good ride. We have worked with this Wrangler for 17 years and this is absolutely NOT typical of the rides they provide. Horses sometimes do start to walk once the Rider is on. This very typical, whether you are riding privately or commercially. Our rides are real Backcountry Rides and there are rocks, which is typical for this geography and a horse may stumble, just like we would if we stepped wrong on a rock.

As far as the road, that is completely normal for Montana! We are a state the size of Germany with only about 1 million people so funding is limited of road maintenance and we have harsh Winters here.

We hope you feel better!

All the best from Yellowstone!
Sarah

Reviewed June 1, 2018 via mobile

Excellent guide! Instructions were complete. Safety rules outlined. Knowledge of the area and local stories shared. Very fun!

Hello BunnyM54!

Thank you very much for your review! We are a locally owned Family Business and safety and fun are top priorities! We love what we do and we are very happy your loved your experience!

Enjoy the rest of Your Summer!
Sarah

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

Husband and I have rafted several times with other companies. I highly recommend this group!! The guides were very friendly and knowledgeable about the river and history of the area.

Date of experience: May 2018

Hello Jeanna H!

Thank you for the fantastic compliment! You made our day! We love what we do and we always hope it shows.

Have a great rest of Your Summer!
Sarah and Crew