“Not customer friendly” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Gardiner
seattle
“Not customer friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

I've traveled a lot in the last 6 months and I've noticed that a lot of hotels are really hungry. They show it by being extremely customer friendly. However, I've also noticed hotels located near very popular places - like Yellowstone- are not quite as hungry and therefore not as customer friendly Here's what I'm talking about.

I booked through Expedia requesting a quiet, top floor room. When I showed up the people who checked me in said they were booked up and I couldn't have a top floor room. However, when I pursued it, the managers said they could have given me a top floor room, but it would have meant changing the room assignments (this was early in the afternoon- so that would not have meant bumping people out of their rooms). So, rather than changing room assignments- which hotels do all the time- the managers chose to inconvenience the customer rather than themselves.

Of course, the result was three nights of hell. The facility is new, but it is very noisy. I swear there was a herd of elephants trampling on my ceiling one night!

I guess I would have let all this pass if the hotel staff had not lied to me. They insisted that Expedia never sends them customers special requests. After calling Expedia, I confirmed that Expedia does indeed send the hotel special requests. That really ticked me off!

The hotel is just OK. I stayed in a handicapped room which was quite small- which surprised me. Everything was very spartan. No dresser, no drawers, limited storage.

If I ever come back here, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ysptravelodge, Manager at Rodeway Inn and Suites, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
Thank you for your input. We value all our guest's opinions. I am sorry your room assignment was not to your liking. Even though Expedia told you that they forward special requests they do not. We suggest your contact the hotel directly for your special requests so that you will not be disappointed in the future with any hotel. We would have been happy to change your room at time of check-in however the only other room type that was the same as your's was already checked into their room.

Thank you for your input. We value all our guests thoughts and opinions. Thank you for staying with us and hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Centennial
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

Travelodge, not the best, or that was what I though until I walked into the Yellowstone Park Travelodge. Beautiful hotel, clean rooms, friendly and welcoming staff and a great breakfast! The fried rice with scrambled eggs and bacon was wonderful, thanks for the recipe! A fresh clean room and a staff that made you feel welcome, what more can a tired traveler ask for? Thanks!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2010

I have travelled around US for 2,5 weeks and this place was definately the best so far. Clean, cosy room, great service and excellent breakfast! All the rooms have view facing mountains, so for this money you won't be disappointed. The only thing that I'd point out as a con was a noisy fan in bathroom, besides that A+.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Grafton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

My husband & I stayed at Travelodge for 3 nights. It was a very clean room & the view of the Rockies outside our window was beautiful. The staff was very gracious & the continental breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoanieGrafton_Ohio
kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2009

Pros-excellent friendly staff
elevator-its a long way to the top
clean rooms
view from balcony is great.

Cons-small rooms
full beds, no queens size.
internet is iffy
bathroom fan comes on whenever someone turns on the light.
(noisy and annoying at 2 am
breakfast not worth bring up.
plastic pass key had major problems, even the second one they made me.

Would I stay there again. Yes, but be aware of the shortcomings.

• Stayed June 2009
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ysptravelodge, owner at Rodeway Inn and Suites, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Dear Flatlander776,

Thank you for your review. All of our customer reviews are important to us. I regret that you were less than pleased in a few areas. Our double rooms do have full-sized beds but the single rooms are equipped with queen sized beds. Our continental breakfast was upgraded over the previous years...but it is still a 'continental' breakfast. I wish we had the space to offer you a full, hot breakfast!

Again, your comments are appreciated since we are always looking for ways we can improve in order to give our guests the best experience possible.

Tom Rapp
Owner
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2009

The only reason to stay in Gardiner is to visit the Yellowstone National Park. This hotel served that purpose. I booked it though Expedia about 2 weeks before I went. Some of the other hotels Expedia listed were already shown as full. I paid AU$336.88 including taxes for 2 nights.The light breakfast they served (well, self-served) was passable, just.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

That is to say, it is a little better than good enough to stay here. I stayed 3 nights in October 2009. The room was spartan but very clean. The lights are quite harsh, all fluorescent. No artwork. No sitting area or table in my room (it was a handicapped accessible room and the bathroom took up more area). The bathroom fan and light are on the same switch, and the bathroom fan was *VERY* noisy. Shower stall had a very short ceiling (I am 6'6" tall; it was 6'5" tall).

Gardiner is a very small town and I guess you take what you can get, both as customer and owner. The owners were nice, and the check-in/check-out experience was just fine. Very friendly folks and they gave me a choice of which room I checked into. I slept well and the hotel is back from the main road, so it is not very noisy.

The breakfast is very continental, just donuts and coffee, but it's also advertised as such so no foul there. Good quality.

I used the laundry facilities and also checked out the game room. Both were immaculately clean and in good order. There were 4 washers and dryers, which I appreciated since that means two people can reasonably use the facilities at once. Very unusual for a motel. The game room was also well laid out. I didn't use it, but it has video games and a table for playing cards or working a puzzle. Nice touch. They also have a meeting room if you're there on business. I think the owners are thoughtful, and with a little more effort on the rooms this would be a well above average place to stay.

A herd of elk wandered nearby each night and one morning.

The one real annoyance is that the website at travelodge.com did not say they would charge for one night's stay when I made the reservation. I understand this to be common practice in remote vacation destinations, but it still would have been more proper to be fully informed before I made the reservation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#1 of 6 in Gardiner
Yellowstone Basin Inn
Yellowstone Basin Inn
#2 of 6 in Gardiner

Been to Rodeway Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!