“This is the place to stay in Gardiner!!!”

Yellowstone Gateway Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Gardiner B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We arrived late into Gardiner that night and called the hotel and, great for us, they had just had a cancellation. When we arrived Micheal wanted us to see the room before he took our money. We were very impressed with the suite and the price. We had a large kitchen, fully stocked with all the pots, pans, silverware, etc. that we needed. The living room was large with two couches and a large flat screen. The 2 bedrooms and bath were equally impressive. The guest laundry they have was great and Micheal keeps plenty of quarters in the office so you don't have to worry about going out and getting change....also has free detergent and fabris softener to use. We will definately stay again next time we're in Gardiner!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Spencersdad

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and would have given it 5 stars/excellent except for some minor points....it was quite tricky to find, the vehicle entrance is tucked around the back as opposed to off the main street. However we could then park right outside our door. The guest self serve laundry was handy but had rather limited opening times. Our 1 bedroom apartment was really well kitted out, but the sofa was very uncomfortable to sit on for any length of time (maybe because it was a sofabed ?). However the bathroom & kitchen were really well equipped and the bed was comfy and nice. The man who checked us in and out was very chatty and helpful, with guidance for food and shopping in Gardiner. Overall we would highly recommend this place. Given the location & general good quality it represents pretty good value for money.

2  Thank samcat392
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was a little worried when I saw the outside of the hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised! They just finished remodeling all the interior rooms! We had a wonderful 2 BR suite suitable for my handicapped husband. The kitchen was complete, the dining table huge, and the living room was comfortable with a large screen tv and satellite television! One bedroom had a king sized bed and the second a queen, but the beds were so comfortable. The location is great as well. A short drive through town and you enter the north entrance to Yellowstone. We were surrounded by elk - we need only go outside to see the elk grazing in the yards next to the hotel. It was fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mary V
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I would have given this place 5 stars except for the goofy arrangement in unit 211 where a queen bed was added to the living room making viewing the TV awkward. I suspect this was done to add rentable headcount. Otherwise, this is a real find.

Room Tip: Try to avoid unit 211
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My sweetheart and I changed our plans to Yellowstone about 3 weeks before going, and our last weekend was on Labor Day weekend. So when calling from San Antonio, needing to find a room in Gardiner at that late date, I was getting nothing but, "Sorry, all full..." After maybe 5 calls I tried Yellowstone Gateway Inn. The man I spoke with was helpful and courteous and when I mentioned that the price was well over my budget (I was speaking truthfully, usually looking for rooms in the $80 to $125 range) he offered a 10% discount. It was still well above budget, but I was having no luck elsewhere, AND, most importantly, he was trying to help. Gardiner is a small, mountain town right outside of Yellowstone and I love the area, having been there before. But I wasn't certain how my sweetheart would see it... it is a little rough around the edges. We had just done a 4 day three night backpacking trip in the park and she loves quaint and rustic, so I had my hopes up. Also, she had booked a cabin on a buffalo ranch about an hour away, but since our plans changed we had to cancel those reservations (the owners were kind enough to refund us in full, and that cabin was only $100 per night!) so I was sort of concerned this place might not stack up. Anyway, upon driving up I became more worried. It is not that they look dumpy or anything, but most places in Gardiner are packed in tight, not a lot of landscaping or aesthetic appeal, and YGI is packed in as well. The place looked neat and clean though so I signed us in. From the parking lot you look out at the great BIG landscape and mountains south... and when we entered the room we were pleasantly SURPRISED. As the photos try to show on this site, the rooms are truly well appointed, clean, and actually like an apartment with a craftsman's touch. Excellent bed, full kitchen, big screen TV, couch, table, shower and tub with designer tile... my partner loved it and it made me feel good. I give it only a 4 because the price is still high for a night in a room (in my opinion hotel rates have gotten crazy!) and it is jammed into a tight space in a tightly laid out town... so if you like a country feel with wide open space around you, this is not it. But, truly, according to common prices nowadays... the quality of the room puts it's price in line.

By the way, there were many "Vacancy" signs out as we drove through town... so if you are a bargain hunter I'd say just go and take your chances... if there were rooms on Labor Day, there's be rooms most any time other than maybe heat of summer weekends.

Room Tip: Don't see where there would have been much difference between any of the room locations. Ask ab...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in a deluxe unit. It was very clean.The place is tastefully decorated. The bed is comfortable. The bed room is spacious. The kitchen is well-equipped and the bathroom is equipped with organic soap & shampoo. There is also a dining room area with table & chairs. The hotel is located about a mile from the north entrance. There is a grocery store nearby with a good selection of beer & wine. The value of the hotel is great as compared to staying inside the park. Did I mention the 40 inch flat screen TV & internet access ? One morning we were greeted by 3 elks right at our front door. They are also pet friendly which suits our needs.

1  Thank philartbrink
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The accomodation was clean,well appointed and spacious. The room had recently been renovated to a high standard.
The owner was friendly and helpful.
It was everything one would need as a base for visiting Yellowstone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Rodeway Inn and Suites
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge
Yellowstone Basin Inn
Yellowstone Basin Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardiner

Been to Yellowstone Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!