“Very good restaurant!!!”

Lighthouse Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Gardiner
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Lighthouse Restaurant is located in a large 6000 Square foot structure that was built in the 1920's. The main dining room is constructed with wood and logs and has a nice, warm and casual atmosphere.We are located 7 miles north of Gardiner off of highway 89 and the restaurant is surrounded by beautiful mountains and is located 1 mile away from the historic natural wonder (The Devil's Slide). We are open May 21 through September 21 each season.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Very good restaurant with several unique special dishes, we both ordered a different special and they were absolutely fantastic! It's not an expensive restaurant, I have been to more expensive fancy restaurants by accident which served far less tasty dishes and changed far more. The decoration was nice, sea orientated and atmosphere. The waiters were nice and helpful. In the winter the restaurant closes so be aware of that, if you're near this restaurant in summer time, go there it will be a very good experience!

1  Thank Skabobski

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The campgrounds in Yellowstone were full and we had to camp in the NF 16 miles north of the park. We kept driving by this intriguing little restaurant with a nautical theme that had signs out in front saying, "Fresh and Tasty" and "open late". Since I am not interested in fast food when I am on vacation, but since we also hike late into the day and often miss the open hours of natural food restaurants both these claims caught our eye, so I checked TripAdvisor and wouldn't you know they were rated #1 for the area, and for good reason. The front room where we ate was cozy and unpretentious but somehow felt 'special'. We were dressed for hiking and felt comfortable but several tables over were some women more dressed up and I thought no one looked out of place. The nautical theme was explained at the bottom of the menu - and despite some of the reviews that found this odd, I think it was a great branding considering how many 'western' themed restaurants there were in Gardiner already, and the reason for the unusual theme was, like everything else about the place - very personal and lovely. The waiter/owner read off the specials which included elk that they "caught ourselves". Now how one "catches" elk I do not know unless they shoot it first, but perhaps this euphemism intended for their patrons with more delicate sensibilities. They not only caught their own meat but they made their own cheese, ciabatti buns, dressings and dreamy hot cake for desert! I had the elk burger and my husband a curry and we both thought they were great. We paid in cash and because the total was over $30 (but not much over!) we got one free cake, as promised on the menu. If you have the chance do not miss this place but notice ...closed on Tuesdays.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We called from home to order take-out, as we had heard about some new menu items they had that we wanted to try.

The good? Food was ready right as I arrived and the cashier/host was very quick and pleasant.

The bad? First, even though we were getting take-out, I was standing inside long enough to look around and realize the everything looked much more worn than the last time I had been there (a little over a year ago), but unclean worn rather than shabby worn.

Second, not only were the new items we tried not very good at all, the old ones I used to enjoy were even worse. The crab cakes tasted fishy - we each had one bite and threw them away. The truffle mac and cheese tasted like any old mac and cheese I could have made a home, and was very dry. Entrees were not at all good - I had the Thai on the River with shrimp, which were cold, and that sauce was bland and so runny that it looked like I had noodle soup rather than a noodle dish. The others were the exact same way, and each of the other two entrees (I can't recall what they ordered) had pieces of chicken that were still very pink in the middle, so they stopped eating and discarded them right away not knowing if the entree had been contaminated by raw chicken tossed around in the noodles.

Maybe they didn't take as much time to do it right since it was to-go order? Regardless, definitely the icing on the cake that will keep us from every returning or recommending it.

2  Thank CinnamonGirlMT
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Montana Restaurant with Asian/Tai Menu...even though the strip steak we had was pretty good we were surprised it was marinated in Terriyaki Sauce. Poor/Disorganized/Dysfunctional Service. Not clean and rundown atmosphere. We would not go back.

3  Thank Michael D
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a little gem tucked away from it all. We were staying up the road and only made it here on our last night....which was a shame as we'd have loved to go back. Service was brilliant and we couldn't have felt more welcome. Food was good too, and a nice refreshing change for heavy fatty food we'd had on most of our trip....although the deserts may have redressed the balance. It was also a bargain!