“Helter Skelter”

Lighthouse Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Gardiner
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Lighthouse Restaurant is located in a large 6000 Square foot structure that was built in the 1920's. The main dining room is constructed with wood and logs and has a nice, warm and casual atmosphere.We are located 7 miles north of Gardiner off of highway 89 and the restaurant is surrounded by beautiful mountains and is located 1 mile away from the historic natural wonder (The Devil's Slide). We are open May 21 through September 21 each season.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Montana Restaurant with Asian/Tai Menu...even though the strip steak we had was pretty good we were surprised it was marinated in Terriyaki Sauce. Poor/Disorganized/Dysfunctional Service. Not clean and rundown atmosphere. We would not go back.

3  Thank Michael D

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a little gem tucked away from it all. We were staying up the road and only made it here on our last night....which was a shame as we'd have loved to go back. Service was brilliant and we couldn't have felt more welcome. Food was good too, and a nice refreshing change for heavy fatty food we'd had on most of our trip....although the deserts may have redressed the balance. It was also a bargain!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Just got back from this place which we visited based on the TripAdvisor reviews we read on here. The food was indeed good, I wouldn't say it was outstanding necessarily but given the plethora of steak and grill places around Gardiner, the Lighthouse's menu stood out due to their mix of Asian Influenced foods.

We were seated quickly enough and the guy who served us the most (as everyone seemed to at some point) took our orders for starters and mains. Within 5 minutes of starting the first course we were presented with our mains. I sent them back whilst we finished eating but within 2 minutes somebody else brought them back out to us. After returning them the second time the guy who took our order came out, said the chef was very quick at turning food out but they would be kept warm at our request despite a warning that they may spoil under the heatlamps. When I finished my starter about another 5 mins later we were then told that the chef had binned the food and was starting again. We allowed that that was fine and were happy to wait. Seconds later another waitress came and told us the exact same thing.

Anyway, I don't know if this is how they normally run things. We have spent 3 wks in the US so far and have mostly eaten out so we feel we have some experience with this sort of thing. Generally we are allowed to complete the first courses without the rest piling up somewhere.

Finally the billing process was odd as we had to queue at the front desk and wait for the waitress there to add the check up. Why it wasn't brought to our table already calculated I'm not sure. We did qualify for a free dessert as our bill exceeded $30 and we were paying cash and when I asked for the Oreo cake to go I was brought a warm chocolate pudding. I couldn't detect any Oreos in it and was going to check this but then decided we just wanted to leave. In all, a bewildering experience.

2  Thank Loungefly_Girl
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Went to the Lighthouse restaurant on the recommendation of the office guy at the Gateway Inn. This is one of the best meals we had in our 10 days so far in the USA. There was a lot of Asian influence on the menu and the meals were full of fresh vegetables and great flavours. Many restaurants in the US are fully of fatty foods but this restaurant offers a healthy and tasty alternative. But once you get to the dessert menu you can forget healthy. There is a list of home made cakes to die for. I had a choc fudge cake and my husband had the butterscotch. Both were absolutely delicious. They are also BYOB and don't charge corkage. The only down side is that they close mid September and don't reopen until May.

1  Thank Michelle D
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We visited the restaurant for dinner. The owner came over personally to greet us and let us know of the nightly specials. We placed our order and he advised our daughter that she might like to try a certain cheese on her macaroni and cheese. When it came out, she did not like it at all. The owner wasting no time scrambled to find something she would like. I have to say that the rest of us really liked that style of cheese!! The service and food quality were way above expectations and I would recommend this place to anyone that's in the area!