Riverside Cottages
$180
ComfortInn
$113
Hotwire.com
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs(Gardiner)(Great Value!)
$220
$179
BestWestern.com
Yellowstone Valley Lodge(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$169
No availability for your dates from our partners
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins(Yellowstone National Park)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewshot tubgrocery storethe rivermoose cottageosprey suitetrouttour of the propertydeluxe efficiencyroosevelt archbunk bedsmontana whitewaterplace to staynice deckdeck overlookingcookie cuttertwo nightsafter a long day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Road trip. 11 days, 5,500 miles, 10 states, 3 provinces . Best Hotel? Riverside Cottages ,hands down. The owners are so friendly and helpful. You can tell that their hearts are invested in this place and they want you to enjoy your stay. A little quirky, and very charming. Stayed 2 nights,and would have loved to stay a week.

Room Tip: Stayed in main building. Lots of room for 2 adults and 2 teens
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Melinda013
Reviewed July 8, 2011

This was my 2nd most HORRIBLE travel experience in 50+ years of traveling throughout the world. Upon checking in late around 8:30 p.m. at Riverside Cottages overlooking the Yellowstone River on Rt. 89 in Gardiner, Montana, we were greeted by the owner, Edie Cox, who informed us that he and his wife were from Texas. Rather than simply hand us the keys to our ‘cottage,’ he gave us a very thorough walking orientation tour of his property, entering our room and showing us how to use the Dish TV remote and informing us about all of the wildlife that frequent their property, etc….He was very proud of how well they were doing, informed us of how many potential customers they turn away each night, and were building more cabins. My first impression was that this guy was a bit over-bearing when all we wanted to do was get showered and go to bed, but thought, well, perhaps this was simply Texas hospitality in Montana. That is, until the nightmare began. My husband and I had spent a very long day in Yellowstone National Park photographing scenery and writing travel journals. We were sunburned and very tired. I was second to hop into the shower and was soaking wet when the water went cold. Yes, I was miffed, as any of you would have been, after paying $140 for the room. So after taking my cold shower, drying off, and trying to get warmed up whilst watching the shocking news of the Casey Anthony trial on TV, I got up to blow dry my hair and there was no dryer in the room. So, I reluctantly called the owner at 10:00 p.m., ask him how he justified charging $140 for a room that was unable to deliver two consecutive hot showers and requested a hair dryer per their ‘hospitality’ guest card. He immediately became defensive and shouted into the phone, “I haven’t had a complaint in 6 years! I don’t care who you are, nobody talks to me like that! Why didn’t you just call me and I would have come down to take care of the hot water! (I guess I was supposed to have hopped out of the shower soaking wet, find the number to call him, and meet him at the door naked) - I’ll refund your money and you can get out of here!!!” First, I didn’t appreciate being completely disregarded as though my complaint was invalid by his thoughtless reply, “nobody else has ever complained!” Frankly, I consider such an idiotic statement defensive and immature. Rather than simply apologizing, acting in a civil manner, and having his wife deliver a blow dryer, this guy goes off on me! Then the nightmare escalates by this large looming man coming down to our room without a blow dryer, insisting on entering our room to see if the water was hot, while I am standing there in a nighty with my husband already in bed half asleep!!! Upon entering the room, the owner insists on us packing up our things and getting out stating, “Do you have any idea how many times I could have rented this room tonight?!” Here I am, 5’1” tall, facing off with a very intimidating 6'4" man who is verbally assaulting me because he refused to believe his ‘cottage’ didn’t have enough hot water, and was apparently offended that I would dare raise a complaint! I was in no way rude, just succinct and to the point, so it’s not like I was cursing him out or using inappropriate language! My husband, who is older than me, wasn’t about to hop up out of bed in his underwear, face off with an irrational mad man, escalate the situation, and end up in the hospital, so there I was holding my own, a woman of nearly 60 years old, being bullied by the cocky Texan! He was so out of control that I honestly felt threatened as he was shouting at us to vacate the premises. Just then his wife, Laura Cox, enters our room with the blow dryer and goes back to the shower with her hubby and turns on the shower to test the temperature of the water as though neither of them believed me! This is now almost 30 minutes since I was in the shower, so I simply said, “the water heater may have recovered by now.” The hulk spun on his Texas spurs and again repeated he "didn’t care who we were and we had to leave immediately!" I refused to back down and told him we had no place to go out in the middle of nowhere when all the properties near Yellowstone, this time of the year, were booked solid. He didn’t care one iota and kept insisting on refunding our money while attempting to throw us out on our ears! I told him we were too tired to go anywhere, would NOT vacate the room, but I would call the local sheriff instead because we had not done anything wrong to merit being treated in such an abusive manner. Believe me, this nightmare is exactly depicted as it happened – or should I call it a night terror?!?! But alas, the never ending story continues….about 30 minutes later, around 10:45 p.m., when my hair is dried and I am ready to collapse into bed, the hulk came back down to our ‘cottage’ and informed us he had found us a room at the Gardiner Comfort Inn and he would transfer our funds. I repeated, with a very stern tone, that we were too tired to pack up our things and move and would remain in our room for the night. Just as I am about to call 911 for help, he walked off saying, “I hope you are able to sleep tonight!” Well, guess what, after such a shocking and downright abusive experience, I was UNable to sleep at all because I was so emotionally distraught wondering if he would again return! Our grand journey through the West from Arizona through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana was greatly diminished by this travel terror that left me traumatized and feeling quite ill from lack of rest. So the moral of this story is: don’t dare step out of line at Riverside Cottages or open your mouth about anything whatsoever, or the owner may throw you over the rails into the Yellowstone River or feed you to the foraging bears they are so proud of, and you may never be heard from again….travelers BEWARE of the ‘Wild-life’ in Gardiner, Montana!

Room Tip: Try to get a room @ Mammouth Hot Springs or Roosevelt Lodge and AVOID Gardiner, Montana!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
45  Thank WorldSprinter18
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We arrived in Gardiner at 11:00 PM, but our host, Eddie, was waiting to show us our parking spot, help us with luggage, and acquaint us with "our" home and property. We entered the family cottage through a covered patio, complete with table, chairs, and a grill. Inside, the cottage was newly painted and sparkling clean. We had ample room to prepare and eat meals, store food and belongings, and room for our two-year-old grandson to scatter his toys. We found enough electrical outlets to charge DVD's, cameras, phones and i pods and to plug in hair dryers and curling irons. My husband and I had a bedroom and our daughter and grandson were quite comfortable on the living room sofa bed. Best of all, our knowledgable hosts told us the best places for adventures, activities, and finding wildlife. They even loaned us beach towels for a dip in the Boiling River. This is the perfect place for exploring YNP. We did not want to leave.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank curysue
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed here over the labor day long weekend 2010. We had a very pleasant stay at the Riverside cottage. We flew to Bozeman by a late flight and reached Gardiner around 1 am in the night. Even at that time the owner Eddie welcomed us with a smile on his face. After that he showed us the cottage and told us about some of the recent wildlife sightings around the cottage.
The cottage we stayed in was pretty big with 2 queen beds. It also had a small but well equipped with dishes, utensils, refrigerator, gas stove, etc.
The bedroom had an A.C. as well as heater.
Gardiner is a nice town with a grocery store and a few restaurants and is located right near the North Entrance of the Yellowstone National park so is ideal for exploring the park.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank suyog82
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The efficiency was the perfect size for two people. We were very comfortable and in walking distance of everything in town. Eddie, the owner, was totally awesome with his great knowledge of the town and Yellowstone! I even lost an ear ring and they are sending it to me! Great place!
Buster and Mona