All reviews perfect family vacation dining hall rec hall family rides swimming hole rocky mountain extended family many years horseback riding kids and adults year after year yellowstone national park square dance linda independence generations west
Reviewed August 20, 2016 via mobile

A dream vacation. Loved every minute of our 7 day trip. Such personalized service. Clean cabins, clean grounds., amazing food! Friendly and personable staff. You can tell that it is a great work environment, too...low employee turnover and previous employees taking vacations to this ranch. Will definitely return with family. Can't wait to go again. Truly magical!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank tonyandam
Reviewed August 10, 2016

Location is great, but not overly impressed with the staff, and accommodations. We are a Familly of 4, and love spending time with our Kids. They make kids and adults ride separately. I Was told I couldn't ride a horse unless I tied a string to my baseball cap and wrapped it around my neck (due to if it fell it may spook a horse and hurt someone) only to watch every wrangler wear a hat without a string. (My guess is they were to sorry to get off a horse to pick it up if a guest dropped their hat). The cabins are very primitive, no a/c and if it was cold in the mornings someone would come into you cabin and start a fire while you were laying in bad 10ft away. At every meal, we were not able to sit down as a familly, they had adults only tables and kids tables. I would spend most afternoons with my son fishing, one afternoon we were back late for dinner. Everyone had finished eating and all the tables were empty. Sure enough we walked in to have our place settings at too different tables and we were the only ones there!! They are so set in a routine that they can't handle anything that is out of the ordinary. Simple request like my wife would like to ride with our daughter on the last day of our vacation. She was told that they couldn't arrange that!!
We did enjoy our vacation, and the ranch, but this was our second guest ranch and only had the Gros Ventre River ranch to compare it to. Needless to say we would return to the Gros Ventre ranch again without hesitation. This place, we would not return to. The setting and ranch are great, the food is good, and so were some of the wranglers and staff, but it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch. I guess the Gros Ventre ranch spoiled us.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
5  Thank Tommy J
Reviewed July 24, 2016

This is by far the best dude ranch I could ever imagine. The horses were top notch, the staff were incredible. With a maximum of 45 guests and 24 staff there was always someone around. The food was wonderful and plentiful. The cabins were roomy and very homey. Every staff member was friendly and committed to making sure your stay was the best you could have. The other guests were great to visit with. The kids have their own programs so that made it even better for me. This is a place where 3 generations have been coming for years. That speaks volumes. And the Ranch has just been placed on the National Historic Registry.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2015

My visit to Elkhorn Ranch was 1.5 years ago but I still have such fond memories of this very special place. My husband, kids and I thoroughly enjoyed our time on and off the ranch (off, because we took a day trip to Yellowstone, and half-days white-water rafting and visiting nearby Old West ghost towns.) The location is ideal, with riding trails providing stunning scenery and the occasional glimpse of wildlife. The staff treats you like family, welcoming you into the unique way of ranch life. The food was delicious, much better than we were expecting. The accommodations are comfortable and cozy...rustic chic. Spending time at the Elkhorn Ranch is a perfect summer vacation - I highly recommend!

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2015

We spent a week in late June at Elkhorn with 10 family members within a wide age range (10 - 74), and each & everyone of us had a fabulous time. This is a classic Western family experience, and provides the opportunity to spend a week in the stunningly beautiful outdoors, totally undistracted by modern technology or the outside world. Our family has visited the ranch over 4 generations, starting with my grandparents back in the 40's, then my father when he was a child, myself as a teenager, and now with my own children. The essence of the experience has not changed, in the best possible way. Days are spent mostly on the trail, and the cowboys & ranch hands do an incredible job of ensuring the everyone is well matched to their horse and comfortable on the trail. The youngest riders are soon at ease up on their horses, and even adult beginners become relaxed very quickly. Other activities are readily available, and on most days you can opt to do a half day ride followed by an afternoon activity (white water rafting, hiking, etc.) The lodgings, food & amenities are just right for the experience - all very comfortable, but nothing too fancy. High maintenance types who want things like room service & modern technology would probably not be suited for Elkhorn, which is I think deliberate on the part of the ranch - high stress people would impair the relaxed, friendly vibe so important with less than 40 guests per week. We really enjoyed the other guests - mostly extended family groups like ourselves. And the office staff - Gail, Linda and their colleagues are just terrific - so welcoming, helpful & relaxed that they feel like family be the end of the week. This is a very special place in an extraordinarily beautiful location - perfect for a truly memorable get-away.

Date of stay: June 2015