The Nine Quarter Circle Ranch is a special place to our family. We've been coming nearly yearly since 1998 and regard it as our home in the west. We live in flat, land-locked, hot, and humid Indiana and our annual trips to the ranch are the highlight of our year. When we first visited in June, 1998 we had stayed at 2 other ranches in Colorado which we enjoyed but the NQCR blew them away. It differs from most other ranches in that it is literally 7 miles from the northwest corner of Yellowstone NP and therefore is in the midst of the Yellowstone ecosystem. As such, it affords opportunities to see elk, moose, deer, porcupine, eagles, coyotes, and occasionally bears. In addition, there are mountain lions and wolves in the area. We love the weather. The ranch is at ~7000 feet elevation and therefore the humidity is always low, the air crisp and clean, the mornings brisk, and the afternoons mild with the occasional showers. At night one can actually see millions of stars, the Milky Way, and occasionally the northern lights. (I must admit I don't see the night sky very often as after a day of riding and hiking we go to bed early and sleep deeply). The cabins are cozy and at night they are dark and quiet in a way one never experiences in a city. We're a family that goes to the ranch primarily to ride and the riding is just plain fun. The Kelseys have a herd of ~120 appaloosas, all the horses are born on the ranch, and their training begins at birth. The result is that guests are paired up with their own horse at the beginning of their stay and the partnership of horse and rider is a terrific way to see the beautiful country on reliable horses. The location on NQCR land and the Gallatin NF affords a variety of riding - open flat spaces for trotting and loping, up and down hillsides, through forested places for walking and bushwhacking, open meadows for spying wildlife and wildflowers. The rides range from 2 hour jaunts around the immediate vicinity of the ranch to 2 opportunities a week for all day rides that go further afield to some of the beautiful mountain scenery. The ranch caters to riders of all experience levels from those who've never been on a horse to life-long riders. Our kids are all grown now but when they were young we really liked the fact that they were being entertained and looked after by the ranch staff, doing their own activities, playing with the other kids, and eating together while my wife and I were having fun riding and interacting with the other adults. It's a great way for everybody in the family to do their own thing and have fun. I could go on and on as to why we love this place but I'll close by mentioning some of the other experiences we love - happy hour every night where we can socialize with the other guests and the Kelseys and relive the day's riding, wildlife viewing, Yellowstone visits, and fishing triumphs; terrific, plentiful food (including sack lunches if you spend a day away from the ranch for a Yellowstone visit); Monday night softball game; Tuesday night steak fry; Wednesday night happy hour at Martha's (the Kelsey's log home down the valley) which includes a ride in their vintage 40's Yellowstone motor coach, Thursday night hay ride; Friday night dinner ride; and Saturday square dance. If you're interested in place that delivers excellent scenery, terrific riding, fly fishing in some of the country's premier fly fishing territory, great food, great accommodations, and fun for the whole family you can't miss at NQCR!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lifelong memories and familial bonds are just two of the amazing “side-effects” to an All-Inclusive Dude Ranch vacation. While the deep rest and relaxation rejuvenate you, the awesome scenery will feed your soul. The many activities and sports that you can enjoy will provide you with experiences and memories that last a lifetime! Finally, and most long-lasting, are the strengthened ties that your family will experience. Adjacent to Yellowstone Park and surrounded by millions of acres of National Forest and the Taylor-Hilgard wilderness area, our family-oriented vacations feature riding for all ages and all levels of horsemanship, blue-ribbon fly-fishing, incredible scenery and traditional hand-crafted log cabins and furnishings – all served with the West’s best hospitality! You may also enjoy hiking the area, viewing wildlife and wildflowers in abundance and you can even bring a bike to explore some awesome mountain trails! In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to engage in many other traditional activities such as campfire, hayrides, square dance and more! In addition to all of these benefits, our on-site fly-fishing guide, the children’s programs, meals, and much more are all included in your stay! These all combine to create a unique and ideal location for your vacation. Owned and operated by the Kelsey family for over 60 years, the Nine Quarter Circle is “magical”. Come and experience the place “where time stands still”. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- 9 Quarter Circle Ranch
- Nine Quarter Circle Ranch Hotel Gallatin Gateway
- Nine Quarter Circle Hotel
- Nine Quarter Circle Ranch Montana/Gallatin Gateway