“320 is the JAM”

320 Guest Ranch
Baltimore, Maryland
“320 is the JAM”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This was my second trip to the 320; my family has gone 4 times in the past 3 years. The staff is fabulous, the food is awesome, the activities are great...and there's really nothing that can speak to the ranch's beautiful location in the gateway. I would highly recommend the 320 for anyone looking for a relaxing retreat of a vacation. No cell service, Internet available only in the Saloon...and about 30 minutes to Big Sky where I got a massage and a facial at the resort.

Make sure to go for the 4 hour trail ride - ask Marce and his gang to take up the path across 191; the view of the Madison range from the top will take your breath away. My dad recommends Wild Trout Fly Shop for float trips and guided wades; he went out with guide Nate (and my boyfriend and cousin) and they caught a ton of fish and had a great day. (I wasn't on the trip, but did 3 days of fishing and caught a 16" B-E-A-utiful rainbow trout on the Gallatin River, under the ranch's bridge. No need to travel far for world class waters when you stay at the 320).

The 320's accommodations are not extravagant. The cabins are neat and tidy and just enough for your stay. We stayed in River Cabin 10 the first time I went, and then in cabin Yellowstone this last time. I'd say River Cabins are the way to go. Each cabin, most importantly, has a grill, so you don't have to eat out every night. I'd recommend doing the pig pickin' on Monday, the BBQ at the point on Wednesday, and dinner at the saloon on Friday. Eat in every other night...but always head down to the bar for a drink after dinner. Steve, the bartender, is awesome and the kitchen staff will usually come out for a drink after they're done their shift. What a crowd! Make sure to try the Stoli Doli (pineapple infused vodka), but only have a couple. They'll creep up on you for sure!

Please feel free to message me with any questions.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TheAceOfSpates

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the 320 Ranch. We had cabin #25, one of the single bedrooms with kitchenette in a duplex. The furnishings and kitchen appliances were basic, nothing fancy. The bathroom was also just basic, but had everything we needed, The cabin was very spacious - we fit ourselves and a toddler in a pack-n-play very easily.

In the duplex cabins, you can hear your neighbors. We were lucky to have neighbors on the same sleep schedule as us, and we were not bothered at all. If you got stuck next to a loud family, it may be slightly noisy. But probably no worse than what you'd find at a basic hotel.

The ranch is GREAT! Horse rides, a hayride/BBQ on Wednesday evenings, fantastic staff, laundry services, etc. Breakfast is complimentary and really good also. Eggs, potatoes, bacon/sausage, cereal, coffee, etc.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JKJK1234
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 17, 2010

This was the second stop on our roadie from Houston/Rapid City/Yellowstone/Houston and the stay my family looked forward to the most. A working ranch with all kinds of great amenities and activities available for the family and kids to do. Unfortunately, it is a tale of what was versus what could have been. It started somewhat strangely enough when we booked after the advice of the Big Sky Chamber of Commerce. Upon calling and getting all the details, I was told that if we booked, it was payment up front and non-refundable. That gave me pause as I have never booked anywhere under those circumstances, but with all that the place had to offer and with the recommendation of the CC, why not?
I was told the restaurant would not be open due to it still being the off season, so no breakfast. Okay, I understand, but other places I called didn't have the restaurant up to full speed, but were serving the guests breakfast. A little frustrated, but we were going to accept that fact with all the other opportunities they offered.

We arrived late, due to a trip to Devil's Tower. It was a little after nine and there was a note on the office door with our key informing us to check in the next day at the office. The room was very nice and very comfortable. It really was a nice facility. Upon checking in the next morning, I was not greeted by the most unfriendly person from Montana that I met. She made certain to get my credit card again after I had already paid and I signed the registration. She didn't tell me about anything going on at the ranch, what events were happening that day, or where the amenities on the ranch were located.

After talking to a seasonal employee, we learned that nothing was going on yet, because they were in the "off season" and things were going to start the next week. They had just brought in horses and had an employee group meeting scheduled later in the week. No horse rides, no bonfire, no fishing, no food, no hayrides, no food. Again, I was told the restaurant would be closed when we got there, but the whole place seemed like a ghost town.

The bottom line for us, it was a disappointment. The service wasn't friendly and we didn't feel welcomed by the staff. We could have (should have) stayed elsewhere, but we chose to stay there and they could have been more gracious. Now, with that said, I am certain that it is a great place at peak season with everything going on.

If you want to use it as a base for Yellowstone, it is about an hour (tourist time) from the park. The locals don't seem to mind all the wildlife at the edge of the road. I had fears about ending up with an elk attached to my Honda, so your time may be less.

I wish I could rave about this place as my family was really excited to stay here, but I would choose differently in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ddstb
Myrtle Beach,SC
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Without a doubt my stay at the 320 was the best time my wife and I and friends from Canada and Texas have ever had.Marce,the ranch manager and his wranglers were the most helpful and friendly people I've ever encountered on a vacation(IT was yes sir ,no sir,my I help you,thank you at every turn).There isn't enough to say how fine of a staff that John Ricardson has.THE restaurant staff was excellent and the food was fantastic.If you haven't tried the elk you, don't know what your'e missing.If you partake,the infused pineapple/vodka is SO GOOD! It was so much like family,we hated to have to leave.I've ridden horses for 40 years in South Carolina,but I've never encountered the beauty and sites that we saw on our day ride.Thanks Jick for the ride.The joy of catchin my first trout(1 out of 6)was unbelieveable but the JOY of seeing my wife catch her first out of 3 is framed on our wall of memories forever.Thanks again Jick!THANK ALL OF THE 320 RANCH FOR THE MEMORIES OF A LIFTIME.We are already planning on coming back in March on our way to Canada.See Ya'll in March.Jon,Janis,Luann,Wally

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Lou, KY
Reviewed October 8, 2009

After we week spent touring around all of Yellowstone, we finished our trip at the 320 Ranch. Wow! We had an amazing time. There's so much to do, both at the Ranch and nearby, and the food was incredible. While known for fly fishing, we ended up passing on that activity, instead enjoying a 2 hour trail ride one day, hiking around the Ranch another, and found great white water rafting and biking trips nearby. In the evenings, we would sit on the deck, under the trees, and enjoy a night of cards and stories. The food was both elegant and approachable. My kids loved it, and always found plenty of options, including terrific Cesar salads! All in all, we had a super time, and would recommend this as a destination for families and couples.

Seattle
Reviewed September 19, 2009

What had a great time at 320 Ranch. We went hiking, horseback riding, fly fishing and had fabulous meals at the restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful and we got a bit of the 'cowboy' feeling. We were just missing the stetsons and boots! The area is very scenic and peaceful and the cabins were just right

Ohio
Reviewed September 1, 2009

First off I want to say I have never written a review before, but this place implressed me. I travel a great deal for work (30 out of 52 weeks) so my family vacation is important. The family does not want to just stay hoe, but I do not like getting back on the plane. Well the 320 makes me change my mind. I will go there anytime I can. and my 5 and 8 year old want to as well. My 5 year old daughter said she would even rather go there over Disney. Ofcourse I asked while she was on a horseback ride. FYI, try fly fishing and at Big Sky they have a zip line. My 8 year old told me that was the best thing we ever did. Get reservations for the zip line at least a week ahead. Great job 320 we will be back. thanks. If you want to see my picture search "320 Ranch" on Photosynth.net

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gallatin Gateway
#2 of 13 in Big Sky
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Big Sky Resort Village Center

Been to 320 Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!