“A taste of a Dude Ranch”
Review of 320 Guest Ranch

and 1 more site!
320 Guest Ranch
Boston, Massachusetts
“A taste of a Dude Ranch”
Reviewed September 12, 2008

For some time we have wanted to visit a dude ranch in Montana but were put off by the high per person pricing and the requirement that you spend an entire week, which is the norm at so many of the ranches. I am not a horse lover (although other members of my family are) and it just did not make sense to me to pay up to $3,000 per person for a week at a ranch.So, the 320 was a perfect compromise for us.

Recently we stayed at the 320 Ranch after a week in Jackson Hole, and it really worked out well and we had a good time. We only stayed for three days, and were able to do fly fishing and horse riding on an "a la carte" basis which suited us fine.

We stayed in one of the two bedroom riverfront cabins, and there was plenty of space and clean, somewhat basic but comfortable furnishings. We had a very good time on the trail rides (it's true, the horses only walk but that's all I could manage anyway - my kids did a private lesson wherein they trotted and did more but that is way more than I wanted from a horse!) - All of the staff was friendly and nice and it felt very comfortable and not too fake or overly commercial. It's in a beautiful setting (although right off the road) and gave us just what we were looking for.

• Liked — Lovely setting, nice people
  • Disliked — Beds could be more comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Galena, Illinois
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Loved it! My husband,18 year old son, 20 year old daughter(now living in Missoula) and I went there for 3 nights. Great place and great people, from the trail guides(Becky was very good)to our fly fishing guide(David)and all the staff in between, They all seem to genuinely love this place(can't blame them)and have a personal interest in making it suceed. Nice breakfast with some hot food in the morning included in the price, one morning it was eggs bacon and sausage along with the usual fruit and cereals and the food was wonderful altho only open for breakfast and dinner. Had a great sandwich for dinner one night in the bar area and a fantastic steak another. Our lodge was beautiful, with a full kitchen and plenty of room for all(rams head lodge, I think was the name)and included a grill which we made some fantastic steaks we picked up in West Yellowstone one night. We did the half day trail ride and it was beautiful!!!Also fly fishing on the pond was perfect for us beginners, especailly as the Gallentin was too rough and high for good fishing. Great whitewater rafting tho.Good luck to the 320 and the staff(Annie you were great, and Daniel in the bar is a very nice guy)you would be hard-pressed to find a nicer place with a nicer bunch.

Stayed June 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 22, 2008

The 320 Ranch is a ranch-like motel. There are horses on site, but you have to pay additional fees to ride them. They run the horses through the middle of the ranch 2x/day which is pretty cooI. I went on a "ride" which was a REALLY boring slow walk with REALLY grumpy trail guides. We saw some moose and the views were amazing, but I would have preferred to have an opportunity to canter or trot during the ride. There is a fishing shack on site, but you have to pay additional fees to rent fishing gear. I wound up using a different outfit off site that was cheaper AND willing to pick me up & drop me back off. The food was good at the ranch, but expensive. The bar is small and totally filled with the ranch staff and their friends at night. The cabins are duplex-style and very roomy and comfortable. Lots of extra room and I loved the additional vanity provided next to the closet. The bed was super comfortable and the views from the front porch were gorgeous. The housekeeping staff only comes around every two days, unless you call and make a specific request. There is a hot tub, but it was totally out of commission the whole time we were there. They have a great website and I think this property has a lot of potential, due to its' proximity to Yellowstone National Park and Big Sky Ski Resort. Before you book with The 320, make sure to ask what is included with the room rate. Make sure to go to Yellowstone. That park is one of the most magnificent, incredible, spectacular, beautiful places on Mother Earth. No joke. Take your time and plan your visit over a series of days. Once you get back from Yellowstone, there is nothing to do at the ranch at night, so be prepared to create your own entertainment. There are some local bars & resturants that are fun, but you will need your own car to get there.

• Liked — Proximity to Yellowstone National Park
  • Disliked — Kind of boring
  • Stayed June 2007
3 Thank BostonFabulous
007girl2
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I've been on cowboy trails and unique western camping trips and recently stayed at the 320 Guest Ranch. We stayed for one weekend in October as autumn is my favorite season although it is beautiful in Montana every season. The log cabins are rustic and beautifully construsted. The rooms have fireplaces that made for a warm, cozy night after all the fun activities which consisted mainly of horse back riding which is the main reason we went. We did a 2 hour ride and thoroughly enjoyed it along with the excellent cowboy food. The whole experience was a "TEN". 320 Guest Ranch rules and so do the cowboys and cowgirls there. Great bunch of people and I plan to do it again.

YD

• Liked — The staff, the scenery and the horsback riding
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything. I never expect perfection when I plan to be in the wilderness, but it was comfortable and very pleasant.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
alexandria, va
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I decided to take a late fall vacation and opted to stay between Big Sky and Yellowstone National Park. The 320 was perfect, a little scarce on people during that time, but the weather and space was terrific.

The one thing people need to remember is this if OFF Season in this part of Montana and the ranch's restaurant was not open, nor was much of anything else. But the staff at the ranch were very helpful and my 2-bedroom river front cabin had a full kitchen, so I made breakfast and was on the road most of the day. Dinner at local joints worked out just fine.

I spent most of my time in Yellowstone, which was actually cold during that time of year. The rooms at the 320 are comfortable, but not luxurious, clean and accommodating. And who wants to be in a room anyway. the fireplaces in each cabin were very cozy and the views from the cabins are spectacular. I slept with the curtain open to wake up to the mountains. This is really a great place!

• Liked — the view and location
  • Disliked — restaurant was not open
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank kate010
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Had 4 great nights at this ranch, the staff were great and the location was fantastic. The restaurant was very good quality and very inexpensive.
We went horse riding twice and you can do 1,2,4,or 8 hour rides. All the Cowboys and Cowgirls were fantastic, and the accomadation was rustic but very acceptable.

If you want the real "cowboy" experience this is the place for you.

Nick & Teresa

4 Thank jubbytub
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed October 19, 2007

The 320 Guest Ranch was our fifth ranch vacation, and was a big disappointment. When my husband called to make reservations for our October 1-4 stay, he specifically asked if riding would still be available that late in the year, as that is the reason we go to a ranch. We were assured it would be.

We called the ranch the day before our arrival with a question about riding equipment, and were again assured riding was available, but food, however was not. They suggested we could go to a cafe 7 miles down the road for meals. They had closed their kitchen, but had not informed us when we made our reservation that this was a possibility, nor had they contacted us about the closure when it happened. We were unable to change our plans at the last minute, so we proceeded to the ranch. They apparently have room for 230 guests, but we saw only one other couple the entire time. Our cabin was very dark, and there was no lodge or other common area in which to spend time.

We had a 2 hour trail ride with wrangler Andy on our first full day there. Andy did a great job. When I spoke with someone in the main office to schedule a ride the next day, I was told riding wouldn't be available. As I wandered about the ranch, I noticed numerous employees, including wrangler Andy, engaged in other chores.

We spoke with the office staff to express our disappointment about the unexpected inconvenience of driving 7 miles for each meal, and the unavailability of promised trail riding . They offered meager apology and no price adjustment. Three nights and one 2-hour trail ride for my husband and I came to $533.

We felt we were more of an inconvenience to the staff, than guests at this "guest ranch". We couldn't wait to leave. If you want an outstanding, real ranch vacation, we would recommend the 63 Ranch outside of Livingston, Montana.

Stayed October 2007
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
River Rock Lodge
River Rock Lodge
#7 of 13 in Big Sky

Been to 320 Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!