“Historic hotel with great food”
Review of Grand Union Hotel

Grand Union Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Benton
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Some wonderful 19th century opulence in the heart of Montana next to the Missouri River. Surprisingly comfortable rooms (try to get one with a view of the river), creaking floors, and a generally spooky atmosphere (all of which I enjoy) adds up to one of the great hotel experiences available.
The jewel-in-the-crown is the Union Grill restaurant; one of the better dining establishments I've ever entered. Weather permitting, dine on the riverside patio.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband surprised me with a peaceful and romantic stay at the Grand Union. Our first stay. Hotel, room and dinning were simply exceptional! We walked hand in hand next to the Missouri in the crisp air with the sun gently warming our faces. This town is bursting with history. You can almost hear and feel the hustle and bustle of times long past. So exciting to us. The icing on the cake was seeing, once again, our instant friend from years ago, Dorothy! My husband did not tell me where we were going, once there and already in awe of the hotel, out from behind the desk appears Dorothy! I almost cried. With Dorothy's help, there was wine and flowers waiting for me in the room. Very touched. Thank you staff for an amazing stay. Dorothy, you rock girl!

The Sittons

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I have been going to the Grand Union for years, it is our number one choice for date nights! The rooms are so romantic and beautiful it is a wonderful place to go and order a bottle of champagne and relax and rejuvenate. The Union Grill has never disappointed us and we defiantly have never left hungry. The staff is top notch and the food is absolutely AMAZING, the new Chef Nick has taken the food to the next level, the heart and soul he puts into his cooking shows. Since we ate there last we haven't stopped raving about how great our meal was! We are counting the days till we can go again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Union for their 130th anniversary and it was one of the most memoriable experiences we have ever had in our travels. The hotel is wonderful and the people who work there are outstanding! Dorothy Meyer at the front desk helped to make our stay fun, relaxing and most enjoyable. She is exceptionally hospitable and goes above and beyond in making people feel welcome. Combined with her warmth and efficiency she is alot of fun!! My husband and I will definitely be visiting again!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Grand Union Hotel in Fort Benton is a marvelous time travel into the past. As you enter the front doors of the hotel, you walk into a lobby that congers up images of the Wild West. The hotel has a lovely dining room with a dinner menu that is most appetizing. The staff are most courteous and helpful. There is an array of rooms to chose from, each with its own personality. My wife and I enjoyed staying in those rooms that overlook the mighty Missouri river. The scenery is beautiful. We give the Grand Union a thumbs up recommendation.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the south side overlooking the Missouri River. A beautiful view! You will not be di...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The new chef, Benjamin, is a great addition to this historically renovated hotel situated in Fort Benton. The rooms are nicely refurbished with historic character and charm that is hard to find. The chef, on short notice, prepared a five course chef tasting menu for our group. The wait staff is excellent and assisted in wine parrings to compliment each course. Dorothy at the front desk accomodated all of our needs. We took advantage of a winter getaway special that included a nights stay and breakfast the next morning. Don't miss out on this place or the fine dining experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the river!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Grand Union is a great historical htel to stay at during your stay at Fort Benton. Found the staff friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable. The complimentary breakfast ample and delicious. Great dinnner menu. The walk along the Missouri River always enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try for a river view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gerry r

Been to Grand Union Hotel? Share your experiences!