Tripadvisor
Forsyth
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews next morning joe montana town motel train microwave
Selected filters
Reviewed September 13, 2019

My wife was flying back after visiting family, her flight was interrupted by severe thunderstorms and the airline put her up for the night in the Sundowner.

No big deal, right?

Unless you consider that "interruption" meant the plane (a twin-engine local commuter) landed at an airstrip normally used by cropdusters 30 miles West of the motel, the Manager came out to bring my wife along with everyone else on the plane back to the motel, rearranged existing reservations to aid those not able to handle stairs and then drove everybody the 100 miles back to Billings for their various medical appointments the next morning.

Guess it's a Montana thing. Make a problem with a flight into what my wife says was an adventure and then have the Sundowner turn running a motel into taking care of your neighbors.

Date of stay: August 2019
sundowner7_12, Owner at Sundowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2019

I moved to Montana 44 years ago, a transplant from South Dakota and Colorado. My original plan was to switch professions, get training in business., and move back to Colorado after a couple of years. About four years into that plan I thought: Why do I want to move back to Colorado?? Not that there aren't nice people there, or in South Dakota. But because living in Montana was a community affair, where, because of the distances involved and the people you meet, you feel like home could be anywhere.

Like others have done for me, we (my wife and I) decided that we should help where we could to make someone else's life a little better, and she was available to help. When I got the call from my wife to pick them up I asked my bank president friend who was also enjoying an after-golf get together if he would help me transport the passengers. That's the only way it was possible to pick them all up, and he deserves a lot of the credit.
I'm glad the pilots had the skill to land the plane in difficult circumstances, that everyone was safe, and they will have longer to live in Montana, the "last best place".

Reviewed June 2, 2019

Friendly staff, Misty made sure we were happy. The room was spacious and clean. Has a small frig and microwave. Table and 2 chairs. The continent breakfast was a nice addition. You won’t be disappointed here.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
sundowner7_12, Owner at Sundowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to let others in the community know about the Sundowner Inn. I'm glad that my staff was able to make your stay an enjoyable one. Misti is one good salesperson for me!! I hope the rest of your travels were enjoyable, and you will come see us again soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2018

A clean, quiet motel near the town main streets. Good breakfast for the traveler (not too heavy) and easy check in-check out. It is a railroad town, but the train traffic through the night is very limited. Frankly, I like the sound, but others might not, but in a small town like Forsyth, everybody hears the train.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

We have been travelling through the High Plains for just over two weeks and this motel certainly represents the poorest value for money so far. The room is adequate but the breakfast is just laughable; there is little choice and there is no room in the lobby to dine. This really is one to be avoided.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank tonyworobiec
sundowner7_12, Owner at Sundowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2018

Dear Tony, You were here for a week and said nothing about why you were unhappy. No, we don't have little biscuits to smother in leftover gravy that comes from a crock pot, if that's what you are looking for. We do have packaged pastries, apples, oranges, bananas, fresh hard boiled eggs (you've gotta peel them, they're not packed in salt brine in a jar), two kinds of bread, English muffins, three kinds of dry cereal and oatmeal if you want to make it, orange and cranberry juice, and coffee. The office only seats four at a time, but you can go out to an outside table by the office, or use the seating under the gazebo, which has room for 10 or 12. I'm glad the room was in your terms, "adequate". We actually sell rooms, not breakfasts, but sometimes people forget that.:) I never did want to be in the restaurant business, anyway. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 16, 2018

Caught by a winter storm during whiteout conditions, we pulled off I-94 into Forsyth while driving home to MA from Yellowstone. As we drove through town we passed other small hotels and motels, but the Sundowner Inn looked the most inviting and did not disappoint! Joe, the owner, was welcoming and friendly with colorful stories about the history and wildlife of the surrounding area. The nearby restaurant he recommended was a gem. Our room was clean, warm & cozy. The bed was very comfortable. We had everything we needed for the night - including good cable TV. The breakfast the next morning was more ample than the usual hotel "Continental Breakfast" with coffee/tea, juice, cereals, eggs, oatmeal, pastries, toast and assorted toppings. A very lucky "port in the storm"!

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
sundowner7_12, Owner at Sundowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2018

Thank you for your kind review of me and of our property. I really enjoyed talking with you that morning. I'm glad that we were able to take care of you to your obvious satisfaction. Although I was fortunate enough to talk with you, others on my desk staff would be able to furnish the information you needed. We were having a winter storm. My wife commented that after those winter storms get to Minnesota, the weather channel gives them a name! I hope that you had a safe trip back to Massachusetts, or to your airline connection. We're warmer now, You can see a lot more black on the parking lot. Come visit Montana in the summer or fall, and you can enjoy the other features of Montana that captured my heart 43 years ago!

Joe Wilson