“Delicious food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Izaak Walton Inn

Izaak Walton Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
East Glacier, Montana
“Delicious food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

This review is for the Restaurant. The food is delicious and creative, and the wait-staff is very professional and friendly. My husband and I had their Easter Sunday special: shrimp eggs Benedict, and it was superb. We also had the Mother's Day buffet, and it was bountiful. The dishes were scrumptious and freshly-prepared, the view from the enclosed patio was so pretty, and the service was excellent (Michael gets special credit here.) The Chef really knows his business. And the mimosas were perfect.

I look forward to dining here regularly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IzaakWaltonInn, General Manager at Izaak Walton Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Hello MarisFolsom,

I am so pleased to read you really love our food and service. Our Chefs and wait team enjoy making memorable moments and I'm so glad you have had multiple great experiences here! Thank you for taking the to time to review us and I hope to see you back again soon.

Julia Garvey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Hebrew first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

Not at all friendly. Stayed two days and left. Cold and snow but never built a fire. Would not serve us at restaurant on first night because of a gp of 17 there. Sent us to a horrible roadhouse 25 miles away as only option.
Room was ice cold and staff did not respond to repair it.
They made a big deal about their restaurant. It had a B- health dept rating.
Expensive, but not worth it

Room Tip: Don't select second floor
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob D
Hello Rob D,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review us. I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and you encountered problems while you were here. I would love the opportunity to talk about this further. Please contact me directly at 406-888-5700 if you would like. Our team would really like the chance to make a positive impression in the future so I hope to see you again!

Julia Garvey
Helena, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed here for our 15th anniversary because the year before we had dinner in the restaurant and it was very good. Unfortunately, things changed greatly over the year.

I will start with the rudeness of our server. There were no chicken dishes on the menu other than a salad. I asked if a chicken dish could be made. The server tried 3 times to push the pheasant on me even after I explained I do not eat pheasant. She acted as those I was being unreasonable but would “ask” the chef. When she came back, she said the chef would swap the pheasant for the chicken but that was all he was willing to do. He was unwilling to alter anything else with the meal. Since I am from Montana, I know not everyone here eats game food and my request was not unreasonable. We decided not to stay for dinner. As we were leaving, we noticed the posted grade from the health department which was a B-.This grade was given the day of our arrival, April 11th. We looked up the survey and just one of the things was month old expired milk in the refrigerator. Again that was just one item.

We rented the luxury locomotive GN441. In the description online it says there is a tv and skylights. What it does not say is the tv is only useable for dvds and the skylights are covered in winter; not with snow, but with actual covers.

This locomotive comes with a full kitchen. There were dishes, silverware and pots that were put away with food still on them. There was a folded dishtowel in the drawer that had food stains on it. It was disgusting.

There were 2 thermostats in the locomotive. We turned off both but heat stayed on in the bedroom. We had to open a window in order to sleep.

There are 2 porthole windows in the bedroom and one in the living room but there are no window coverings. How do you not have window coverings in the bedroom?

It is an area which gets a lot of snow which is why we went. The main parking area and the road to the Inn were completely cleared. However, the driveway for the locomotive had about 4-6 inches of packed snow which was now ice. This went up to the bottom step of the stairs to our locomotive. There were 2 entrances but we couldn’t even use the other because snow went up about 3 steps of the stairs. This made walking to the car and down the driveway when we went for walks very dangerous. We had been watching the webcams for the area and at the Inn. The roads were all clear so we did not drive with our studded snow tires. Getting in and out of the driveway was difficult. There are trees you need to get around and we slid many times. We were not driving fast, just trying to park and leave.

The mattress was awful. Definitely not something you would expect to find in a room that cost so much. One side caved in so bad it was as though they were storing things on it. Once you were in it, it was difficult to get out.

I asked for a substantial refund for the problems we had. This is the response I received:

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback. I will look at each situation accordingly and take necessary action, but at this time cannot offer a refund for your stay.

If you read the other poor reviews, you will see they got the same types of responses. The locomotives rate was $259 a night for an off season stay. There are many other places you can stay that are better and less expensive.

All 3 nights we drove to Columbia Falls and had dinner at the Three Forks Grille. They scored an A and everyone was pleasant.

It was a special occasion for us and they ruined that.

Michele

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Michele S
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Don't stay here if you want TV, phones in the room and a Holiday Inn type of stay. Do stay if you like railroad history, outstanding service and great food. This place is really fun, it isn't like a sterile city hotel and while expensive the food is superb.

The staff is friendly and professional.

Room Tip: The Empire Builder rooms in the Main lodge are rustic and fun. The steam radiators can be a bit nois...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Helena
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Once again, the staff, especially chef Jason, created a magical weekend of fine dining, wine tasting and fun at the Inn. This past weekend was the final wine tasting weekend for the season. It was a marvelous end to a long winter....can't wait until next season! Thanks so much for a great time!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kalispell, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stayed 2 nights last weekend in the Orange Caboose - it was cozy and magical. The Caboose was across the tracks up on the hill, so the staff helped get our luggage and skis there in a Kubota utility rig. We loved our stay. The Caboose was small and rustic but clean, the bed was good and we enjoyed the trains going by. The x-country skiing was outstanding, fun, on well groomed trails with just enough hills to be interesting. A special treat was sharing the trail will a cow moose! We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Missoula
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

I got a groupon deal so rate was very reasonable. I would have been disappointed if I had paid the standard $139/night, but then I am pretty frugal. This is a historic hotel with steam heat- heat is louder than the trains- trains actually are not too bad. No insulation between rooms so you can hear conversation next door, person above running shower etc. I have had this experience in historic hotels before so knew to bring ear plugs which helped.
I booked this months in advance planning on XC skiing, however both my husband and I were injured and not able to ski- not much to do otherwise in winter, without driving at least a half hour.
There is a hot tub which is nice.
Restaurant is VERY overpriced. A cup of gumbo for $12? (and was the worst gumbo I have had). The salads and deserts were the best. Also had $32 Bison steak which we had to send back, ordered medium rare and it was bleeding, barely touched the skillet. On top of soggy fries. Not impressed, besides the salads and deserts.

Room Tip: Bring Earplugs anytime you visit a historic hotel Bring your own food and splurge on a salad for lu...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fearlessmsla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Belton Chalet
#2 of 5 in Essex
Silverwolf Log Chalet Resort
Silverwolf Log Chalet Resort
#9 of 13 in West Glacier

Been to Izaak Walton Inn? Share your experiences!