Izaak Walton Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Mountain Pine Motel(East Glacier Park)
View Hotel
Sears Motel and Campground(East Glacier Park)
  • Free Internet
Dancing Bears Inn(East Glacier Park)
View Hotel
East Glacier Motel & Cabins(East Glacier Park)
View Hotel
Circle R Motel(East Glacier Park)
View Hotel
Whistling Swan Motel(East Glacier Park)
View Hotel
All reviewsempire buildercross country skiingglacier national parkhuckleberry cobblerlove trainstrain buffdining cartrain tracksgroomed trailstrains passingrailroad workerswatch trainsred caboosedownstairs barrailroad historyrailroad hotelno cell phone coverage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Once again, the staff, especially chef Jason, created a magical weekend of fine dining, wine tasting and fun at the Inn. This past weekend was the final wine tasting weekend for the season. It was a marvelous end to a long winter....can't wait until next season! Thanks so much for a great time!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stayed 2 nights last weekend in the Orange Caboose - it was cozy and magical. The Caboose was across the tracks up on the hill, so the staff helped get our luggage and skis there in a Kubota utility rig. We loved our stay. The Caboose was small and rustic but clean, the bed was good and we enjoyed the trains going by. The x-country skiing was outstanding, fun, on well groomed trails with just enough hills to be interesting. A special treat was sharing the trail will a cow moose! We'll be back!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I got a groupon deal so rate was very reasonable. I would have been disappointed if I had paid the standard $139/night, but then I am pretty frugal. This is a historic hotel with steam heat- heat is louder than the trains- trains actually are not too bad. No insulation between rooms so you can hear conversation next door, person above running shower etc. I have had this experience in historic hotels before so knew to bring ear plugs which helped.
I booked this months in advance planning on XC skiing, however both my husband and I were injured and not able to ski- not much to do otherwise in winter, without driving at least a half hour.
There is a hot tub which is nice.
Restaurant is VERY overpriced. A cup of gumbo for $12? (and was the worst gumbo I have had). The salads and deserts were the best. Also had $32 Bison steak which we had to send back, ordered medium rare and it was bleeding, barely touched the skillet. On top of soggy fries. Not impressed, besides the salads and deserts.

Room Tip: Bring Earplugs anytime you visit a historic hotel Bring your own food and splurge on a salad for lunch, or desert, if you are touring park eat out. I enjoyed being on train side of hotel and did not find trains very loud. That might be different with open windows in summer. The trains rarely use their horns.
1  Thank Fearlessmsla
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Inn and its location are both very beautiful sites to see, but otherwise it was lacking in excitement and quality. I would not recommend staying more than two nights as there will be nothing more for you to do. In the late winter months, with no rafting or true hiking to be done there was little more than cross-country skiing. The restaurant service was abysmal as the servers were very rude. The front desk people seemed to have little knowledge of cross-country skiing or even the surrounding area. We had to drive a ways away to get a good hike in and with the winter conditions our options were limited. A beautiful area, a gorgeous drive, but a lack-luster experience altogether. If you are a younger couple, prepare to be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
IzaakWaltonInn, Manager at Izaak Walton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Colby, I am glad you found the Inn as beautiful as the location. I wanted to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced in our service. As the general manager of the Izaak Walton Inn I can assure you that these are not the type of experiences we want for our guests. Thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I took advantage of the Groupon deal the Izaac Walton had participated in. We had stayed here about six years ago and had always wanted to go back. Our experience was everything we were looking for and so much more. From our first encounter with an employee to the last; everybody was so welcoming and friendly. Even when asked questions that I'm sure they hear multiple times a day, they were eager to help and made our stay seamless. We ate at the in-house restaurant 4 times. Twice for dinner, once for breakfast, and once for lunch. Each meal was fantastic and the service superb! I definitely recommend the huckleberry cobbler for dessert.

We enjoyed everything about our stay; the clean and quiet room, the basement bar filled with history, games, and drinks ;), and the amazing staff. We even got out on some snowshoes (first time for both of us). Some helpful suggestions from a staff member brought us to a groomed path that took us down to the river. Our hike was such a great way to take in some of the beautiful Glacier scenery. Thank you, we will be back! A special shoutout to servers Ben and Sydney, and bartenders Kelly and Brian.

• Stayed: March 2014