Izaak Walton Inn
$99
  • Restaurant
$99
Mountain Pine Motel(East Glacier Park)(Great Value!)
$80
Dancing Bears Inn(East Glacier Park)
$146
East Glacier Motel & Cabins(East Glacier Park)
$118
Mini Golden Inns Motel(Hungry Horse)(Great Value!)
$126
Glacier Guides Lodge(West Glacier)
$167
Orbitz.com
Belton Chalet(West Glacier)(Great Value!)
$155
$124
Vista Motel(West Glacier)(Great Value!)
$89
Official Site
  • Free Internet
All reviewsempire buildercross country skiingglacier national parkhuckleberry cobblerlove trainstrain buffdining cartrain tracksgroomed trailstrains passingrailroad workerswatch trainsred caboosedownstairs barrailroad historyrailroad hotelno cell phone coverage
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've stayed in hundreds of anonymously generic chain hotels. Each one as forgettable as the next. This is one of the ten percent of hotels where I will always remember my stay - in a very good way. A rustic railroad hotel beside the tracks, filled with railroad memorabilia. Don't expect air conditioners (the ceiling fans work nicely in the cool Montana summer nights), color television sets, in-room wifi, or bed-side speaker phones. Instead, check out the phone booth just off the lobby, the lace (and worn) curtains, and paintings and photos of trains passing through the Essex area. Wifi is available in the bar below the lobby.

I was not bothered by the sound of trains passing during the night. Maybe I was exhausted from hiking during the day, maybe the double paned glass was enough to muffle the noise.

I was amazed by the quality of food in the restaurant. I really wasn't expecting much, having been disappointed by most of the restaurants in East Glacier. The quality of food here was by far the best of the trip.

The only downside for me was the location - about 30 minutes drive to the West Glacier entrance and another 45 minutes to Logan Pass. Breakfast opens at 7AM so earlier morning hikers may have to plan accordingly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I hate traveling to a new area because I never know for sure what is the best way to go. I don't always trust reviews either. But I'm super happy with our decision to stay at the IWI. Now that we are here, it's clearly the exact place I wanted to be. The other inns in Glacier Park are huge: very congested and impersonal. The IWI is much smaller and gives you the feel of a living in a piece of history past. There is a wide range of rooms. We stayed in the lodge but the caboose's look like a fun way to go (although a walk to the lodge). The restaurant is outstanding. I wasn't expecting a small hotel to have such good food. Glacier is only 30 minutes away. We rented a car from the Inn for $75 to visit there. But there is good hiking around the Inn as well. Two thumbs up. I'd love to come back in the winter too. We arrived by train. Be aware, they always run late.

Room Tip: The lodge room was a little on the small side but was adequate. The bed was comfortable. On the rustic side but that's what I was looking for.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RemyWI2013
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Wonderful treat for kids and adults alike -- sleep inside a real train. We had the locomotive car and it was so much fun and so well-done. Beds were comfy, amenties were lovely. We ate dinner in the restaurant which far exceeded our expectations. Downstairs is a fun game room for kids. Helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed in three hotels during our August trip to Glacier National Park: the Prince of Wales Hotel in Walton, the Many Glacier Hotel in Many Glacier and this one. The Izaac Walton Inn was by far the best. I would gladly return here and have no desire whatsoever to stay at either of the other two. The service here was wonderful, the food was very good and they also had a good wine list. Although prior to arriving we had some concern about the proximity of the train tracks, we found that we really enjoyed seeing the trains and the train sounds themselves evoked wonderful old memories. The trains never disturbed our sleep, even though our room in the main hotel faced the tracks. The Inn is rustic of course, but quite comfortable. Staff were very helpful in describing day hikes.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David_Carmel
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in one of the cabins and thoroughly enjoyed it. Each cabin has a kitchen, picnic table, firepit, and front porch. My husband and I were traveling with our daughter and her partner and infant...we took the downstairs bedroom and they enjoyed sleeping in the loft bedroom. We prepared all of our meals in the cabin...breakfast, a picnic lunch and dinner. After dinner we walked across the bridge over the train track to enjoy some time at the fun bar. (We absolutely loved the antique Whirlitzer Juke Box! ) The best part about staying in the cabins is that they are situated in the woods, with several hiking trails right there, but you also have the choice of enjoying the dining room and bar at the hotel.

Room Tip: We requested and were given an end cabin...since they are close together in a row, that was a good choice, giving us more privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family