“Day tripped here but will come back for overnight stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Izaak Walton Inn

Izaak Walton Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Day tripped here but will come back for overnight stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We took Amtrak to Essex from Whitefish to spend the day here and then took the westbound train back to Whitefish that same evening. We spent the day cross country skiing on the many trails near the inn. Also we did some train watching and checked out the cabooses and locomotive that are available for lodging. The front desk let us go in the loco and it was very impressive for the most part but I'm not sure I'd spend over $300 a night. The cabooses on the other hand are on the other side of the tracks. They have more privacy and all have decks with scenic views of the tracks, inn, and the mountains. We plan on staying in a caboose on our next visit. We had time to have a couple of drinks in the bar downstairs and had a couple meals in the dining room. Everything was very good and service was fine. The most interesting part of the day was waiting for the train in the dark on the little platform that's about the length of one coach. The engineer has train attendants leaning out telling him when to stop.

Room Tip: The locomotive may be a little expensive and is not too privately located. the cabooses in my opin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We discovered this inn, once planned to become a southern entrance to Glacier Nat'l Park, years ago. If you like rail history, the lodge housed the workers who who built the rails over Marias Pass. If you like mountains, cross country skiing, historic buildings, a "tamed" wild west environment, this is the place to visit. We have stayed in lodge rooms and also in the GN441 renovated locomotive. It has always been a grand experience. The food was always good and is even better now. The renovations have respected history and updated the facility. BUT, if you need TV, radio, cell phones, even landlines (3 pay phones), or upscale modern glitz, this is NOT your place to visit. To get away from it all and "commune" with nature is why you should make the trip. Incidentally, the superb staff also meets Amtrak's Empire Builder twice daily.

Room Tip: Lots of choices. The lodge rooms have all been updated to include a private bath, and you have the a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Portland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is a hard review to write ... or perhaps I should say a hard place to rate. The pluses are very good, but the minuses are problems ... or worse.

The pros:
-- a great restaurant -- really superb food at decent prices with helpful, friendly servers. This is the strongest thing about the Inn and truly does make up for some of its ills.
-- a fun bar downstairs, which is the best place to get their somewhat limited wi-fi signal.
-- the trails near the lodge are plentiful and most of the time are groomed for cross-country skiing or snowshoeing.
-- the railroad theme at this former Great Northern Railway hotel is fun.

The cons:
-- the steam radiators for the entire lodge are controlled from a single thermostat behind the front desk, meaning it's often cold in your room.
-- the front desk is sometimes unstaffed and at other times staffed by unknowledgable people. In fact, the sense I got was that the Inn was a bit understaffed in general.
-- the lobby is surprisingly uncozy for a place like this. I never felt like I wanted to sit by the fire with a book, something I always do in such lodges.

The worst:
-- the Inn charges $65 for a "tour" of Glacier National Park. It consisted of being driven one mile in a van, being dropped off just inside Glacier, and then taken on a snowshoe trek by an Inn employee who, while very nice, didn't know the trail very well. And the trail wasn't that much different from the trails found just outside the Inn. $65 for a two-mile round trip? The most expensive taxi ride I've ever taken! Do not make this mistake -- avoid this "tour." You can snowshoe from the Inn to this Park Entrance for free in about 45 minutes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KommissarKen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in the locomotive. It had all the comforts of home including a gas fireplace and DVD player. The kitchen had all the basics and we cooked our meals there. The check out is at 11, but you can ski all day and there is another shower you can use. Mark the ski pro was great. I wish I had stayed longer. The swimming pool rating is for the sauna. We ate one dinner at the restaurant and I give it 4 stars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Laramie, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed over the holidays, and the hotel was quite full, but you'd never know it from the staff - always courteous, friendly, and helpful. We stayed in an Empire Builder room - a fine size for two people, but a bit crowded with our ski gear. Comfortable beds, beautiful environs. The groomed ski trails are fabulous, and, even with the busy holiday weekend, you felt like you were by yourself in the mountains. My husband really enjoyed the meals we ate there, while I found them to be okay.

Room Tip: Couldn't hear the trains on the opposite side of the building - the track-side rooms are markete...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Skamania, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed in the BN441 (the locomotive) and it was perfect for the two of us. I will say that their website says that it can sleep 4, but I think you could really be cramped for space. The bathroom is SMALL and I have no idea how they can make it look so big on their website! There are no towel bars and no where to put the soap for the sink except on the side of the tub. There is no place next to the sink for toiletries. The only shelves are above the toilet. There are no drawers in the bedroom and a very, very small armoire to hang up your things and a few unique horse shoe hooks in the little cubby hole next to the bedroom. The king sized bed (the BEST bed we have ever had in any hotel, by the way) took up 90% of the bedroom. They say that there is a fireplace, but it is really just for show.
The kitchen was great. Toaster, coffee maker, tea pot and plenty of plates, bowls, and utensils including a very nice wine bottle opener.
The cab part of the BN441 is AWESOME and I think I spent a great deal of time up there watching everything.
The view from the BN441 is perfect for watching the train yard and the skiers going over the pedestrian walkway to go up to the skiing areas. Be aware that when the big window in the living room is open, it is like being in a fishbowl and a lot of people will stop to take photos. Um....same goes for the big window in the bedroom.
There are three "porthole" windows that have NO window coverings. Two are in the bedroom and one is by the front door.
The trains do not blow their horns going through the train yard and there is a little rattle of them as they go by. Not bad though. I think I can hear and feel the trains more where I live and I live miles from the tracks. Then again, if trains bother you, then why would you go to vacation with a train yard?
It was awesome to get off of the Amtrak and be greeted by the wonderful workers at the Inn! They will greet the train no matter how late it is as they monitor it.
The workers at the Inn were very good. We did not have any complaints about how we were treated.
The check out time is 11:00 a.m. and they mean it. Our train was due to arrive at 7:41 p.m. so we asked if we may stay in the room a couple more hours (they didn't have anyone coming in until the evening train). They said that we could stay until 1:00 p.m. for an additional $50.00. We didn't do this, but I mention it just the same.
They are very nice about holding onto your luggage and allowing you access to it while you wait.
The open area is very nice with a big fireplace. The downstairs bar where you can access internet is very comfortable with nice furniture and interesting railroad photos.
They state on their website that there is no cell phone coverage. This is true. They state that there are two pay phones. Yes, this is true. Watch out for PrePaid phone cards. They automatically eat 35 minutes with ONE phone call as a "fee" for using a pay phone. (It shows you how long since I have used a pay phone or a phone card)
The restaurant is very nice, but I have to agree that it is very spendy. $5.00 for a bowl of soup. Good soup, but I am not use to one salad and two bowls of soup costing $24 or so. Dinners average $22 per person and then appetizers and drinks and dessert on top of that.
No pool, no fitness center. (doesn't matter to me, just mentioning it)
Would I do it again? Oh, yes! It was worth every penny!

Room Tip: Personally, I thought the BN441 was perfect for me as I love, love, love trains. It really was wort...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zada W
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I first want to say that I really enjoyed our stay at the Inn. We were a family group of 15 and the Inn was all we hoped it would be. Members of our party stayed in the Luxury Locomotive, Red Caboose, and Main Lodge. It was perfect for our group but there are some important things that people should know that aren't necessarily advertised. First, the Inn is very rustic and the main lodge is an old building that hasn't been updated with many modern amenities. It does not have AC (neither do the cabooses) and it has no elevator. If climbing stairs is a problem, this isn't the place for you. The lounge, bar, game room, and interesting memorabilia in the basement aren't accessible if you can't negotiate stairs. There are a handful of rooms on the first floor, otherwise, you have to take the stairs to the 2nd and 3rd floors. Help with luggage wasn't readily available and we didn't ask, so I don't know if the staff is expected to provide "bell man service". Also, there are no phones with exception of the front desk and cell phone service wasn't available, at least for my carrier. The caboose was fun for kids but be prepared to climb a ladder to reach the upper berths and the bathroom and shower are tiny. The luxury locomotive was truly luxurious but requires climbing lots of stairs to reach the entrance. Hotel staff are not on duty 24 hours/day. Once the front desk staff leave for the night, you are on your own. The doors are locked for protection and you are only allowed access inside with your room key. There is only one dining room for meals. The food was good but a little pricey, especially for families. It is a working railroad yard, so trains pass through all night. It is exciting if you are a train enthusiast, not so much if you are a light sleeper trying to rest!
We loved our stay at the Inn. It was something very different than anything we had ever experienced. We took a Red Bus Tour through Glacier via the Going To The Sun Road which was great.
My advice to anyone thinking of staying at the Inn would be to call and express any special requests before booking. Although this was perfect for us and was a great experience, it may not be for everyone. I would stay again if my travels ever bring me back to that part of country. It was part of a great family vacation that we all enjoyed.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $$ if you can and book the Luxury Locomotive.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Corinne F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Belton Chalet
#2 of 5 in Essex
Glacier Park Lodge
Glacier Park Lodge
#3 of 10 in East Glacier Park

Been to Izaak Walton Inn? Share your experiences!