Rainbow Valley Lodge
The Lodge at Big Sky(Big Sky)(Great Value!)
$159
Buck's T-4 Lodge(Big Sky)(Great Value!)
$208
$189
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfly shopdonutsfishknotty pineswimming poolclean roomsplace catersnice continental breakfastmid summermadison riverhomemade pastrieslewis clarktwo room suitefarm to tablewould love to come backgrounds are well maintainedbeautiful montana
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were on the road from Virginia and Nevada City and need a place to stay on the way to West Yellowstone. This quaint log motel has large rooms witn comfortable beds. There is no a/c but in the beginning of September it was cool at night. They have a heated pool but the evening was too cold. The owners Ed and Jeanne Williams are very convivial. The place caters to fisherman. There is a small included contionental breakfast served in the office/fishing store. The stay was a very a refreshing break from chain motels.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My family has stayed here numerous times and love it here! :) Such a delight. The grounds are immaculate, so clean and beautifully landscaped. The owners take such pride in their place and are so friendly. The rooms are clean and always properly stocked with everything you need. We highly recommend this place when traveling. :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

For this area, this is an excellent low to mid range value. We had a room for 2 with separate sleeping areas and full kitchen at just about $100 / night. My first impression was how the rooms and grounds were meticulously cleaned and well maintained. We were 2 guys visiting for a week of fly fishing. First time in Montana. The owners were always present and available to help with anything that came up. They were very pleasant and genuinely interested in making sure we had a pleasant stay. Well equipped fly shop and with in-depth knowledge of the area. You can tell that they enjoyed being with their guests as evidenced by the many repeat visitors that we met. Also a very comfortable common area to hang out and relax at the start and end of each day. Nothing fancy or fussy, but has everything you need for a great Montana vacation. Will definitely come on back. Y'all.

Room Tip: Rooms with the higher numbers (30s) are in the newer section with accommodations that are more modern than the other rooms. The kitchen units are well stocked and well worth the slightly higher rate for your snacks, beverages, and days when you just don't feel like dining out. Coffee, juice, pastries, toast, and sometimes fruit available at the free breakfast. Rooms that have sleeping areas in the back (West) are very quiet at night and daytime.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at the Rainbow Valley Lodge this past weekend with my two sons. We were doing a quick day trip to Virginia City/Nevada City and Ennis seemed like the most convenient place to stay. There were a lot of similar lodges/cabins in the area. I chose Rainbow because it has a pool.

The Good:

# of beds. It was nice to have a place with enough beds. My boys are too old to be willing to share a bed. Our room had 2 queens & 1 twin.
Reasonably priced.
The landscaping was lovely. The owners were friendly.
The location was perfect for a trip to Virginia City and was super easy to find.
The room was really clean.

The Not So Good, but not completely Awful:

Lack of lighting. This seems to be a normal thing in hotels, but it drives me crazy anyway. The room had three lamps. It was still really dark.
No air conditioning. I knew that going in, but I was still unprepared for how stuffy it would get.
No bathroom fan.
The beds were really firm, which I thought was going to be great until I actually tried to sleep. This is a subjective thing, though, so a lot of people may prefer the firm beds.
The continental breakfast was: coffee, orange juice, doughnuts, toast & muffins. Meh. The area to eat inside is really small, so we took it to our room.
Only one television, but our room actually had two rooms. It would have been nice to have had a television in the other room.

I think if you're in Montana to fly fish (which is really who this lodge is aimed at), this would be a great place. If you're there for a lot of comfort and amenities, then this is not the place for you. We only needed one night, so it was sufficient for us. I would consider another stay there in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jusacuz
Reviewed August 9, 2012

If you are used to staying in 4 or 5 star hotels this place is not for you. It is clean but I wish they didn't use bedspreads and blankets that probably aren't washed between guests. The external property is well maintained and charming.
It's nice that they provide a continental breakfast but, it would be better if they would provide some fruit and more healthy options. If sugary Donuts is your thing this is your type of place.

F.Y.I. There is no air conditioning

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family