“Uncomfortable visit...in many ways.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Emigrant
Paradise Gateway Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Emigrant B&B and Inns
New York
“Uncomfortable visit...in many ways.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

I was really looking forward to staying here, to the point where I cancelled a reservation we had made at the Murray in Livingston to stay here instead, because of the great reviews and the beautiful pictures of the property. In terms of the pictures, the property is indeed gorgeous. The rooms are exactly as promised. There is lots of room to walk and hike and roam. The surrounding area is beautiful.
We had a very warm welcome from Carol, with snacks and a lot of advice on where to go for dinner or just out. Another review here is right--there isn't anywhere really nice to eat close by except Chico, and it is very popular so you have to make reservations. Carol is always willing to make the reservations.

Unfortunately, the spacing of the b and b is not made for comfort. The "B and B" portion is the basement of the "main house", so you literally are living in someone else's basement for a night. The rooms aren't really furnished for relaxing, just for sleeping, so you are left with the common room, which is shared with other guests. That was fine, as the first night we stayed up talking to a couple from Kentucky for hours and hours. However, you start to get the sense that you are intruding on Pete and Carol, as they seem to want to get you out of the place as soon as possible in the morning, and the place is not really made for lounging. If that's what you're looking for, this isn't it. That would have been fine for us, except I got sick at Chico Hot Springs on the second day, and just wanted to eat burgers in front of the TV and not go out that night (not that there are many places to go except Chico), but I felt like I was at my prissy aunt's house and not at all comfortable.

When making my reservation, I had written about mine and my husband's various food restrictions. None were considered in the menu. I am lactose intolerant and everything was milk-based and covered in cheese. On the second day, when I reminded Carol of my allergy, she didn't say anything but seemed to sigh in exasperation. My husband also doesn't eat pork and every morning we were served pork. We have been to other B and B's where, when I have told them of our restrictions, they have been more than happy to provide alternatives. It's not hard and we're not picky otherwise. We didn't need fancy, oversized plates of things--some scrambled eggs and toast would have been fine.

Over the course of our visit, Pete and Carol made comments about groups of people that made us very uncomfortable. It was very unprofessional to express such thoughts in mixed company when you are running a business, in my opinion, and the almost constant, colorful commentary at the breakfast table really upset my husband. I hate putting it this way, but I can't, in good conscience, recommend this B and B to LGBT couples or people of color. I also could have done without Pete's chastising us on our choice of sightseeing spots. Helpful suggestions are always welcome, but criticism is a little far.

3 Thank erendiradali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hartselle, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

Due to flight delays, my wife and I had experienced a grueling 16 hour trip the day before we arrived at Paradise and were exhausted. We arrived in Emigrant an hour and a half before check in time (4:00pm), and thought we would see if we could have access to our room a little early. As I was getting out of the car a woman (Carol Reed) yelled from the house and asked if she could help me. I told her who we were and she replied "check in is not until 4:00". I instantly felt uneasy about our choice for a B&B. One of the employees from inside the house told her our room was ready, so she invited us to come into the office to check in. We checked in, and Carol spent about one minute with us to give us an information packet and to tell us that the upstairs was private and not to come up there until breakfast the next morning. Her husband Pete said hello from across the room and that was it from him.
The rest of our stay was delightful. One of the employees was a young lady who is a student from Jamaica and she was very gracious. We were treated to a wonderful breakfast and interesting conversation the next morning by a woman from Germany. It was joy to be able to meet both of these ladies and to spend that morning with them.
As for the Reed's we never saw them again after our arrival. Perhaps something is going on in their life that makes it dificult to deal with the public and if so I apologize for my crticism. Even if that is the case, then perhaps it should be left to their employees to be their face to the public.
It is a beautiful place that is very relaxing, just don't expect hospitality from the owners.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SWS1960
sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

This property is listed "mainly" as a B & B with cabins. We booked from a B & B brochure. When we phoned to price the accommodation we were told what a huge discount we received. We are a couple and placed in lodgings suitable for a family with at least 2 children. In other words, the accommodation was inappropriate. We were given this place as it was not rented by the correct number. We did not think to ask a B & B property whether breakfast would be included and it wasn't. So be very careful when booking that you ask if breakfast is included.
Further, there were excellent cooking facilities in the cabin if one is staying for several days. We were told coffee was available- true, but no sugar and stale milk.
If you are lucky enough to get into the B&B side, apparently it will be a more positive experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gopha1
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed at this B&B for the first time this year to attend a family reunion in Paradise Valley. Carol and Pete made it into a home away from home for us. They were delightful, informative, full of resources for Paradise Valley and Yellowstone Park, and helpful beyond all expectations. The location on the Yellowstone River below Emigrant Peak is stunning, and it is within easy reach of the Park, Chico Hot Springs, Livingston and Bozeman. Ideal for hiking, fishing and Osprey watching. Carol cooks a huge, tasty breakfast that will last you all day. We hope to return next year. Dick and Antje Shadoan

Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

From the moment we arrived at Paradise Gateway B&B, we knew our western adventure was going to go well. The owners greeted us with an ice cold "smoothie", just the perfect thing after a long days travel from Philadelphia. The room was cozy and comfortable, the bed just the right firmness (and we're pretty fussy about beds). The view from the front porch overlooking the Gallatan River with the mountains beyond was simply breathtaking. It was a joy to sit around the campfire at night and see the beautiful Montana sky (although there was a full moon which cast it's own surreal glow). The breakfast the next morning was probably the best we ever had at a B&B. We were sad to move on, but we had reservations at a ranch, which we also loved. But we would head back to Paradise Gateway B&B in a heartbeat.

Bozeman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

This cabin had everything we needed. Clean, comfortable spaces to be together and enough room to be alone to read etc. Beds and bedding were extremely comfortable and clean. Showers/bathrooms very tastefully set up. Three couples had a wonderful time. The views of the Yellowstone River and the mountains of Paradise Valley were breathtaking. Everything was just right! Wished we were staying for at least one more day!! We had reservations for dinner at Chico, just a few miles away. We brought our own food for breakfast .... their coffee pot/coffee/utensils etc. were just right for our needs.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

Carol is a lovely hostess, but without the delightful company of the other couple staying there, Paradise Gateway would have been a big disappointment.

Our room was small and its decor had not been re-thought in a long, long time. It was not a comfortable place to hang out, and I was not inspired to take a photo of it.

Our bathroom was private, but we had to go down a hallway to use it.

There was a large, pleasant common room where we enjoyed lively conversation with a delightful couple from Phoenix, AZ.

Carol prepared an amazing breakfast--Dutch babies and loads of other goodies. We ate everything, but the effort was largely wasted on us because we would have much more preferred a poached egg and a piece of wholewheat toast.

Another boo-boo was that we weren't warned that Calico Hot Springs is the only decent place to eat within twenty-five miles and that advance reservations are essential. As a result our only dinner option was a third-rate meal in a gloomy saloon on the highway.

The B&B's setting on Yellowstone River is delightful and there, in the evening, we were treated to something I had never seen before--a double rainbow. We also enjoyed the ducks in the pond and the rabbits hopping around.

The Paradise Gateway web site states the B&B has four rooms, but I was told there are only two--the Wildflower room and Blueberry Parch, in which we stayed. We were not shown the Floral Garden room. The Tulip room must be the little room across the hall from our bathroom that appeared to have no window.

Our host, Pete Reed, made a brief appearance at breakfast. He seemed to be very knowledgeable about what to see, but he was such a big rush to get away that he didn't have time to share much of it. He also did not seem to understand that people older than him who live at sea level cannot enjoy hikes of the kind he takes having lived at a high elevation for many years.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emigrant
Yellowstone Valley Lodge
Yellowstone Valley Lodge
#1 of 10 in Livingston
Buck's T-4 Lodge
Buck's T-4 Lodge
#2 of 13 in Big Sky
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Yellowstone Basin Inn
Yellowstone Basin Inn
#2 of 6 in Gardiner

Been to Paradise Gateway Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!