“What a great place to stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Emigrant
Paradise Gateway Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Emigrant B&B and Inns
Henderson, Nevada
“What a great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at this B&B. I wish I stayed longer than one night. Carol and Pete are gracious hosts and make you feel special. The property is cozy and clean. The view of the Emigrant Mountains from the deck is amazing. The Yellowstone river is right out the front door. I saw many birds and deer right outside. I highly recommend this place if you are in the Paradise Valley area.

Room Tip: Both rooms I saw were great
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

We stayed here during their off season and it was beautiful and quiet, just what the doctor ordered. My husband enjoyed only having to walk about 20 yards away from the room to wet his line and I could enjoyed relaxing and reading on the deck with the sound of the river going by, absolute paradise. It was also quite convenient to have a kitchen in the room so that we didn't have to go out every night as it is about a 20-30 minute drive to the nearest restaurants--a bonus in our book. The only thing I would change would be the mattress. Anytime either of us moved the bed jiggled for a little bit, which generally woke the other one up. Other than that, I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

If you like being treated in a rude and condescending manner, this is the place for you. Otherwise, do not stay here. The owners of Paradise Gateway really should not be in the business of running a B&B. Usually, people in the service industry are expected to offer a certain amount of tact and courtesy. They do not seem to understand either concept here.

Of our two hosts, Carol is much, much more unpleasant than her husband Pete. When we checked in, I asked for some ice to ice a knee injury. Carol offered to lend me a fancy knee contraption from Belgium that was supposed to work many times better than an ice pack. That in and of itself was a kind gesture, but the way she lent the item was not. "Whatever you do," she said to me, "do not walk away with this. It cost me over $200." It was a really nasty thing to say. What did she think I was? A thief? I told her even if the stupid thing was $2, I would not walk away with it.

Later in the evening, she tried to show us how to work her TV. It wasn't that fancy and would have been self-explanatory. But out of courtesy, we listened. Before she ended her lecture, she said, "Be care and don't break this, because if you did, there would be no one here to fix it." That was something you'd say to children whom you think might be irresponsible, stupid or both, not to guests who are paying you close to $200 a night.

It gets worse. Upon finding out that my friend had a three-year-old son, Carol asked her in a somewhat accusatory manner, "And the baby...is with his father?" This is offensive for two reasons. First, it made my friend feel as if Carol was accusing her of neglecting her child. Second, my friend was sporting a really, really short haircut, and it's not uncommon for people to think that she's a lesbian (she's not) or that she and I are a lesbian couple (we're not). Regardless, it was quite likely that Carol thought that my friend was a lesbian and did not approve of the thought of a lesbian having a kid, and her question was her way of making sure. It was kind of nasty and unnecessary. I mean, just imagine how that would have made us feel we were really a lesbian couple.

On top of everything else, Carol also changed the breakfast time from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. without directly asking for our opinion. She made the decision while talking to two other guests who were staying with her and just told one of them to come inform us of her edict. Our preference would have been to stick with 8:00 a.m., but we did not get a say in this matter. The next morning, I realized that Carol and Pete were in a mad rush to make it to church in the morning and this was the real reason why she changed the time for breakfast.

Then there's Pete, who's much, much more endearing, but he insists on sitting down with his guests for 20 minutes or so to tell you where to go and what to see in Yellowstone. He doesn't offer, he insists, and it's really annoying. We were only staying here for one night and just wasn't that interested in spending that kind of time with him. To avoid being rude, we sat through Pete's session, but as we expected, he didn't tell us anything that we didn't already know or couldn't otherwise learn on our own at a visitor's center. The only thing that he told us that was new was that we could go swimming at Firehole Falls, and that though it was quite chilly outside (note: it snowed at Yellowstone that night), the water would be warm. Well, my friend got all excited and put on a bathing suit and we drove out to the swimming hole. The water was in no way warm enough for a swim on a chilly day. Water temperature was 70 degrees, not even warm enough for lap swim, let alone to soak in. Anyway, it was really annoying and the drive to the swimming hole kind of took us out of our way.

All in all, there were numerous breaches of hospitality at this place. Do not subject yourself to this kind of treatment. I don't think that Pete and Carol are bad people or that they intentionally wish to make their guests feel bad, but this is what they do. It was extremely unpleasant to stay here and it was not cheap.

Also, this place is not that close to Yellowstone. It's about 45 minutes away. You'd be better off staying inside the park. For instance, the cabins at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, where we stayed a couple of nights later, were much more pleasant. There was good food, good view, good music and GREAT service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank canyonskies
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

Paradise Gateway was recommended to us by another B&B in Missoula. It turned out to be the best place ever!

I had no idea what the location was like or the view. I just knew that it was close to Yellowstone. My friend and I arrived after it had just snowed and was foggy. We heard others talking about "the mountain" as we checked in. We were clueless due to the fog.

While getting settled in the Trout House Cabin, I heard my friend yell from the porch "OMG look at this mountain!" The fog had lifted to reveal what looked similar in size to the Grand Tetons out our back door!! What a great surprise!

The cabin was nicely decorated in more modern West Elm/Pottery Barn type furniture. It was fabuluos! I could live here :)

I don't fly fish but this place is a fly fisherman's dream! You can fish out your back door with the beautiful mountain as the backdrop.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

We picked the Paradise Gateway B&B for our visit staying outside of Yellowstone National Park. We were looking for accommodations that would not break the bank, but would give us great comfort and the chance to have one night where my son could have his own room. The Paradise Gateway manages rentals for multiple nearby properties - we did not stay at the B&B itself, but at the Trout Tourist Home Cuttbow Suite, nearby. It was like being home, but with the beauty of the Yellowstone river passing right in front of our accommodations. Absolutely modern amenities, clean and convenient. Decor is Modern Mountain style, which we loved (rustic but modern). Our only complaints: 1) This is not the Inn's fault, but there are VERY few places nearby for dining. 2) I don't believe I have ever slept on a squeakier bed! :-( That said, we enjoyed everything else about it, and would definitely stay there again. Without question it was the nicest place we stayed at during our entire vacation (4 hotels in all).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We rented the cabins and did not stay at the B&B. The views from the back were of mountains (snow capped during our visit) and the yellowstone river. The rooms were clean. The owners were very friendly and even gave us some free home made ice-cream. They suggested that we do the Beartooth Pass if we had time. It ended up being an amazing drive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

The 3 bedroom, 4 bath home was on the Yellowstone River, looking across to the magnificent Emigrant peaks. Everything was new, beautifully decorated, with a kitchen to suit the most demanding gourmet chef. The owners, Carol and Jim Reed, were extremely helpful in guiding us to the best sits in nearby Yellowstone Nat. Park, and trails, museums and restaurants in the area. Plus the fly fishing was excellent!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emigrant
Yellowstone Valley Lodge
Yellowstone Valley Lodge
#1 of 10 in Livingston
Buck's T-4 Lodge
Buck's T-4 Lodge
#2 of 13 in Big Sky
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Yellowstone Basin Inn
Yellowstone Basin Inn
#2 of 6 in Gardiner

Been to Paradise Gateway Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!