“owner was a no-show”

Circle R Motel
Oviedo, Florida
“owner was a no-show”
Reviewed September 13, 2007

I would like to be able to give a proper review of this property, but to be honest, I never stayed there! Here's my sad story.
I booked a room for two nights over the phone and confirmed the reservation a week before arrival in September. I took the train to Glacier NP and chose this motel because it was an easy walk from the railroad station. The train arrived right on time, 6:45 P.M. on a cold and rainy evening. I buttoned up and made the 1/4 dash to the motel only to find the office locked up tight. A little card tacked to the door read: "We have gone to a Bar-B-Q, be back at 8:30." After a 22 hour train ride and a walk in a rain storm all I wanted was shelter. I walked through the cold, driving rain to one of two restaurants in town and had dinner. Walked back to the Circle R at 8:30 and waited on the porch for a while before taking another wet walk to the only bar in town where I shot pool for a while with a great group of Blackfeet Indian guys, the nicest folks I met on the whole trip! Then it was back to the Circle R and more waiting in the rain. Finally went to the only place open in town, the second restaurant and asked the manager if he knew where I could spend the night. He directed me out back where I saw a row of tiny ramshackle looking cabins with a sign that said "Backpacker cabins $12." I said I'd take one. He said "That will be $25." I spent the night on a lumpy bed in a cold shelter with a sign over the sink that said "boil water before drinking." Went back over to the Circle R the next morning and confronted the owner who told me not to worry, he would take the charge off my credit card! Well! - Thanks a lot Buddy!
If you are visiting Glacier NP I would suggest that you skip East Glacier all together and make your base in the beautiful Flathead Valley about 30 miles west. The train stops in Whitefish, MT where you will find lots of accommodations and restaurants and lots to do, like river rafting, hiking and boating on beautiful Flathead Lake.

• Disliked — it was closed!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank geomon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
chicago suburb, il
Reviewed August 15, 2007

My husband and I took the train from Chicago to East Glacier. We needed an inexpensive place to stay overnite and Circle R was just that! Unfortunately we lost the key to our suitcases and the owner was right there with the tools to open it. We stayed in the newer section of the hotel and we were very happy with our room. The convenience of getting off the train and having your hotel right there was great! We rented a car (two doors down from the hotel) and we were on our way the next day. I thought it was a great convenient alternative to East Glacier Lodge.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank midwestmam
Oregon
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I made a reservation for 4 nights. When I arrived, I was told by the teenager running the entire place that I had been placed in a different room each night (meaning I'd have to switch rooms every day). I asked him how that happened and he didn't know. No one else was there to ask.

I told him that I'd need to contact the chamber of commerce to find another place to stay because of their error. He wouldn't let me use the phone, told me I had to drive to the gas station to use the pay phone (my cell couldn't pick up a signal).

How can you mess up someone's reservation that bad and then not allow them to make one local call???

I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank shelneu

Travelers are raving about these East Glacier Park hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 10, 2006

stayed here for a few days to go to glacier national park. it was thw lowest priced motel, around $34 a night. they have a newer section which is much more expensive. i stayed in the older section. the walls are thin, the motel has no ice machine or laundry, and they advertise having cable tv but only 6 channels. it was an ok place to stay if your main criteria is low price. the owners were nice and approachable if you have questions.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
#1 of 6 in East Glacier Park
Sears Motel and Campground
Sears Motel and Campground
#4 of 6 in East Glacier Park

Been to Circle R Motel? Share your experiences!