“Hidden Gem”
Review of The Brown House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Glacier Park
The Brown House
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in early August on our 25th Anniversary getaway. We didn't know what to expect and as we drove into the town of East Glacier we wondered if maybe we had made a bad decision. From the outside, the Brown House looked like nothing special. The "office" is the pottery shop of owners Terry & Suzanne. After chatting with them, we moved in to our room. What a pleasant surprise! The room was very nice; rustic looking but completely new looking. A steal for the price.

The town of East Glacier is about a 35 minute drive to the main entrance to Glacier National Park. But don't let that discourage you. We were there for 4 days and were awed by the sights on the drive each day. From rising mountains to free-range cattle, it was the most enjoyable 35 minutes in a car.

The town of East Glacier is quite small but also quite quaint. Nice places to eat and quiet at night. We especially liked the breakfasts at Luna's restaurant before our drive to the Park each morning.

We hope to make the trip to Glacier again and will definitely stay at the Brown House.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rick M
There are newer reviews for The Brown House

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Don't let the rather rickety appearance on driving up deter you. Although this isn't strictly a B&B (no breakfast) it was quirky, quaint and charming. We got room 3, which was located upstairs. Huge room with nice, big bathroom. Owners are artists (husband is potter) so many furnishings (lamps, trays) are his work and you can buy pottery and local paintings in the main room. Right "downtown" (which isn't much) and some good restaurants nearby. We walked under the train tracks and visited the huge lodge. There's not a lot to East Glacier but it really grew on me.

Room Tip: Didn't see any of the other rooms but room 3 was really charming.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JamieKay530
Reviewed September 12, 2013

If you are fortunate enough to have found this place and heeded the reviews, you already know. If you are looking for a special experience that cannot be duplicated, East Glacier Park is a unique place, but The Brown House is a stay that is something special.

Clean as a whistle and so charming, these wonderful rooms will leave a smile on your face from the minute you arrive till the moment you leave. Take a while to peruse the interesting shop while you check in, you will have time as no one up here is in a hurry. Don't let the cat in the room, he lives with the owners, but he thinks he owns the place.

The rooms are totally modern, but so rustically charming that the result is an experience you won't soon forget. Park your car and forget it if you need to eat, Serrano's is a few steps away and the Two Medicine Cafe will provide a breakfast that will last you through the day.

East Glacier Park is close to Two Medicine and not far from St. Mary's and the park entrance, so this is a great place to stay to see Glacier.

I cannot recommend this place enough, it is simply wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Goatesians
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We chose this place based on Trip Advisor reviews and were not sorry. We stayed for 1 night before we drove through Glacier Park on our way to Washington. When I walked into the room my feeling was that I wish I could stay here longer. It was very private, homey, and beautifully decorated. It was spotlessly clean. I would tell anybody who is looking for lodging in East Glacier Park to stay here. You won't be sorry. The town was charming - old west feeling, with unpaved streets and old buildings.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Margaret K
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed inside the park for a couple of nights, but since I was renting a car in East Glacier, moved over to the Brown House for my last two nights. It was fantastic--perfectly private, lovely, spotless room. My trip coincided with the major West Coast heat wave in late June/early July 2013, and most places in and around Glacier Park are not air conditioned, but my room here was, and very adequately so. Owners are lovely and knowledgeable about the area.

I rented my car in the tiny town of East Glacier, and also ate both my breakfasts and both my dinners there--walked to the Two Medicine Grill for breakfasts and to Serrano's for good Mexican eats both night. I don't usually do that--tend to try different places, but both were so good and so convenient, I just stayed put.

East Glacier is also a surprisingly convenient location near the park. I had spent the first couple of nights near Many Glacier, which was gorgeous, but East Glacier is near the Two Medicines part of the park, which I would also highly recommend.

I could not have been more pleased with choosing East Glacier and especially with The Brown House--there is not a better value anywhere. I was shocked they even had space (they only have 3 rooms to rent), when I called only about 5 weeks or so ahead, but I am so glad they did. I will definitely stay there again when I return to Glacier.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights this summer. The place is very cosy and confortable. It looks like a Bed&Breakfast but the owner doesn't cook and should be taken elswhere (and there are plently of opportunities in town).
The room (n°1) was large and the bathroom (with a shower) and also plenty of space and confort.
There was WI-FI and TV but no refrigerator.

The brown House is also a pottery shop which makes it very special and nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank M-voyageuse
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Brown House for one night in July as a kickoff to our visit to Glacier National Park. Every aspect of our stay was perfect, with the exception of a little glitch at the end.

We stayed in Room 3, which is the upstairs room, and as advertised it did have a nice view of the mountains. The room was very large and beautifully decorated, with a comfortable queen bed and a day bed by the window. The bathroom was clean and modern and the shower had plentiful hot water and great water pressure. There is a large flatscreen TV mounted on the wall with a wide selection of cable channels, which was nice for us because we had spent the previous four nights staying in lodges in Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks with no television. Our hosts provided everything we needed for our stay.

The Brown House is just a short 15 minute drive away from the Two Medicine area of Glacier National Park, and within walking distance of historic Glacier Park Lodge (which is worth a stop just to see the impressive lobby and the colorful flowers surrounding the lodge). It is not as convenient to other areas of the park, which is why we only stayed for one night. For $75, I thought the quality of our accommodations was exceptional, especially given the location and the time of year (peak vacation season). It has to be the best deal for a room near the park. It was the second nicest room we stayed in during our entire 16-night trip to the West, and also the second cheapest.

Our hosts, Terry and Suzanne, seemed like genuinely nice people. I talked to Suzanne two or three times on the phone prior to our arrival, and I talked to Terry when we checked in, and both of them were very pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Our room (unlike the other two rooms) had its own private entrance, so we didn't have occasion to speak with them again, but it would have been nice to get to know them a little better.

My only complaint was that we were ready to check out at 7:45 the next morning and we could not get anyone to answer the door or the phone. I did not know what to do with our room key, since I didn't see a box anywhere to put it in. After a few minutes of knocking and waiting, we ended up putting the key under the doormat and leaving a voicemail message. Even though it was not a big deal, it worried me a little because were heading into Glacier National Park where we would have no cell phone service in case the owners had a problem finding the key or needed to contact us for some reason connected with the check out. I could understand if we were leaving at 6:30 am, but it was almost 8:00 when we left and I would have thought that someone would have been available by that time to check us out, or alternatively that we would have been given some instructions at check in about what to do with the key.

Despite that small glitch, this is a wonderful place to stay and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: If you are planning to check out prior to 8:00, ask the owners at check in where to return your key...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 10 in East Glacier Park
Mountain Pine Motel
Mountain Pine Motel
#1 of 6 in East Glacier Park

Been to The Brown House? Share your experiences!