“Best deal near Glacier”
Review of The Brown House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Glacier Park
The Brown House
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best deal near Glacier”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed inside the park for a couple of nights, but since I was renting a car in East Glacier, moved over to the Brown House for my last two nights. It was fantastic--perfectly private, lovely, spotless room. My trip coincided with the major West Coast heat wave in late June/early July 2013, and most places in and around Glacier Park are not air conditioned, but my room here was, and very adequately so. Owners are lovely and knowledgeable about the area.

I rented my car in the tiny town of East Glacier, and also ate both my breakfasts and both my dinners there--walked to the Two Medicine Grill for breakfasts and to Serrano's for good Mexican eats both night. I don't usually do that--tend to try different places, but both were so good and so convenient, I just stayed put.

East Glacier is also a surprisingly convenient location near the park. I had spent the first couple of nights near Many Glacier, which was gorgeous, but East Glacier is near the Two Medicines part of the park, which I would also highly recommend.

I could not have been more pleased with choosing East Glacier and especially with The Brown House--there is not a better value anywhere. I was shocked they even had space (they only have 3 rooms to rent), when I called only about 5 weeks or so ahead, but I am so glad they did. I will definitely stay there again when I return to Glacier.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Gournay sur marne
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights this summer. The place is very cosy and confortable. It looks like a Bed&Breakfast but the owner doesn't cook and should be taken elswhere (and there are plently of opportunities in town).
The room (n°1) was large and the bathroom (with a shower) and also plenty of space and confort.
There was WI-FI and TV but no refrigerator.

The brown House is also a pottery shop which makes it very special and nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank M-voyageuse
Damascus, MD
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Brown House for one night in July as a kickoff to our visit to Glacier National Park. Every aspect of our stay was perfect, with the exception of a little glitch at the end.

We stayed in Room 3, which is the upstairs room, and as advertised it did have a nice view of the mountains. The room was very large and beautifully decorated, with a comfortable queen bed and a day bed by the window. The bathroom was clean and modern and the shower had plentiful hot water and great water pressure. There is a large flatscreen TV mounted on the wall with a wide selection of cable channels, which was nice for us because we had spent the previous four nights staying in lodges in Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks with no television. Our hosts provided everything we needed for our stay.

The Brown House is just a short 15 minute drive away from the Two Medicine area of Glacier National Park, and within walking distance of historic Glacier Park Lodge (which is worth a stop just to see the impressive lobby and the colorful flowers surrounding the lodge). It is not as convenient to other areas of the park, which is why we only stayed for one night. For $75, I thought the quality of our accommodations was exceptional, especially given the location and the time of year (peak vacation season). It has to be the best deal for a room near the park. It was the second nicest room we stayed in during our entire 16-night trip to the West, and also the second cheapest.

Our hosts, Terry and Suzanne, seemed like genuinely nice people. I talked to Suzanne two or three times on the phone prior to our arrival, and I talked to Terry when we checked in, and both of them were very pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Our room (unlike the other two rooms) had its own private entrance, so we didn't have occasion to speak with them again, but it would have been nice to get to know them a little better.

My only complaint was that we were ready to check out at 7:45 the next morning and we could not get anyone to answer the door or the phone. I did not know what to do with our room key, since I didn't see a box anywhere to put it in. After a few minutes of knocking and waiting, we ended up putting the key under the doormat and leaving a voicemail message. Even though it was not a big deal, it worried me a little because were heading into Glacier National Park where we would have no cell phone service in case the owners had a problem finding the key or needed to contact us for some reason connected with the check out. I could understand if we were leaving at 6:30 am, but it was almost 8:00 when we left and I would have thought that someone would have been available by that time to check us out, or alternatively that we would have been given some instructions at check in about what to do with the key.

Despite that small glitch, this is a wonderful place to stay and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: If you are planning to check out prior to 8:00, ask the owners at check in where to return your key...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheDawg89
Dagsboro, Delaware
Reviewed September 3, 2012

After driving through Glacier National Park us old folks needed to rest and get a good night sleep. The Brown House is a few blocks east of the Amtrak station which is just enough to allow for a quiet nights sleep in a comfortable room. The "office" for this place is more like a museum and gift shop. The Inn keepers take special care to make your stay comfortable and delightful. There is no internet access (except down the street at the grocery store). When you first drive up you might experience a moment of concern as it looks "run down" but that's really another way to say "quaint". Inside where it counts you have the comforts of home. A few dogs began a night serenade but that stopped soon enough. East Glacier is a classic western town.

Room Tip: We especially liked room 2 as it was on the first floor and nestled among some trees.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ted S
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were lucky to find this place for the days we needed (August 2012, AKA the busy season). The decor was superb with quilts and handmade pottery done by the manager. The room was clean and the bathroom was huge! The TV came in great, I was glad because I got to see a little of the Olympics while I was there. There are many great restaurants within walking distance. Terry was so helpful and accommodating. I left cash and credit cards to dry on the bedside table and nothing was stolen, in fact, I left a pearl earring in the room and they emailed us asking if we would like them to send it to us so they are very trustworthy. :)

I got a great nights sleep and didn't hear anything that would keep me awake. It is about 20 minutes from hiking in Two Medicine.

Gem of a place! Would definitely recommend :)

Room Tip: We were in room #2 and it was great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kelly D
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This unusual lodging is an extension of the owners’ pottery studio and sales room. Rooms are squeaky clean with shiny hardwood floors and frilly bedcovers. Soap is provided but no shampoo and no Wifi. Satellite TV has dozens of channels. Tap water is delicious. Good location for visiting Glacier National Park’s east side. WiFi is available for a fee ($4/hour) at the small town market about ½ block down the street. Open hours don't always match the posted sign on the door. The market has a special counter inside where they make/serve pizza.
The only place open when we arrived at 9 p.m. was Serrano’s. This is an Auto Club recommendation but everything is super spicy and almost inedible. (see separate review). Several diners on the main street near the motel offer pretty much the same pricey breakfast menu.
Because this motel is located on the Indian reservation there is a special 13% tax applied to the nightly rate. This was a surprise when we checked in. Normal MT hotel tax is 8%.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ArthritisDoc
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Terry & Suzie were awesome. I have traveled all over the world and this was the best experience I ever had. Polite, accommodating, quiet and quaint. Room #2 was awesome. Clean, clean, clean. Terry did awesome work building the rooms. This is the only place I will stay while in Glacier. Sooooooooo cozy and affordable.

Room Tip: Ask for Room #2
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 10 in East Glacier Park
Mountain Pine Motel
Mountain Pine Motel
#1 of 6 in East Glacier Park

Been to The Brown House? Share your experiences!