“Destination Wedding at East Glacier Lodge”
Review of Glacier Park Lodge

Glacier Park Lodge
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Just returned from our daughter's wedding at the East Glacier Lodge. The event planning staff, especially Susie Roberts, bent over backwards to assure that all our concerns and needs were addressed...not an easy task when you're planning the wedding from Minnesota/Wisconsin! The wedding was held on the lawn, with beautiful trees and a natural birch arch framing the view of the mountains. The reception was held in the Feather Room in the lower level of the Lodge...at first glance a pretty uninspiring room, but we were able to add lights and decorations to add some ambiance. The dinner buffet was excellent. The food was all well-prepared and abundant. We especially enjoyed the chicken with red onion and huckleberry marmalade and the grilled salmon. The banquet staff couldn't have been more accommodating. None of our guests stayed at the Lodge, opting for cottages and houses in the immediate area instead, but we were definitely pleased with the wedding and reception. We would also recommend Serrano's Mexican Restaurant, which is always busy but worth the wait...try the Serrano's burrito! The Two Medicine Grill is also a great stop for breakfast or lunch, as is the Whistle Stop Cafe. Don't forget to pay a visit to the "Spoon Lady" while in East Glacier.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Bridesmom30
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed June 24, 2007

It was my first time staying in National Park lodging and had heard Park lodging was not so great. I admit I was dissappointed when I entered our overpriced room, but what made up for it a hundred times fold, was the atmosphere in the lobby during the evening hours. It was incredible. There were people reading, playing games and someone was playing a piano. It was busy, but not a hectic busy. It was relaxing, soothing and wonderful!!! We all loved it and the room was not so bad after all. I slept well, which was a feet in itself. It was quiet and the beds turned out to be very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Brutus07
Reviewed May 27, 2007

This is a late review, but having just read all of the terrible and unfair reviews of this grand old lodge, I felt compelled to try and balance the picture. First of all, this is a log structure built in the early 1900's which is located in the wilds of the Rocky Mountains. If you come here to be pampered, you are in the wrong place. But if you are looking for an architectual gem, a genuine piece of American history (not a manufactured Hollywood replica) all located in a wonderful mountain setting, then the Glacier Park Lodge is for you.

No elevators? We had a third floor room and tried something really novel: we found a healthy-looking worker and asked him to carry our bags up the stairs and then gave him a nice tip. Wow, I wonder if this will catch on?

No air conditioning? We stayed here in July and by opening the window our room was cool enough to require a heavy blanket. Plus we had the added advantage of breathing real mountain air.

No TV? Enough said.

Outdated plumbing? Even on the third floor, with a little fanagling and patience we had nice hot showers during our stay.

Ambiance? It doesn't get any better. Just walking around this masterpiece is a once in a lifetime experience. And that is before you even step outside and begin to enjoy the surrounding wilderness. In the early morning I would sit in one of the great old chairs in the hall that connects the main lodge to the annex and watch the mountains come alive outside the big glass windows.

Friendly staff? Most of the staff is made up of college students working here during the summer. We found almost all of them to be friendly, hard working and eager to please.

All things considered, it would be hard to find a better overall lodging experience than the Glacier Park Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Engineer111
Reviewed October 8, 2006

This isn't a typical hotel. A "grand lodge" built in 1912 by the railroad to promote Glacier as a new tourist destination, it's located in an area of unsurpassed natural beauty but limited "modern conveniences".

This hotel is for you if you are looking for a sense of history and convenience to the fantastic Glacier National park, and it's right next door to the Amtrak train station if you don't want to drive.

Quibbles? They are minor. They could have put a TV in the room and a fresh coat of paint on the halls, but the reality is I didn't come to this place to spend my time indoors - and when I *was* indoors, the lack of a TV (and all the comfy places in the amazing lobby) actually helped me read and unwind.

The only thing I really wasn't pleased with was the quality of the food at the restaurant in the hotel - we ordered a sausage sampler appetizer (I think it was odd things like Elk, Buffalo, etc.) and half the sausages arrived totally uncooked. But you that's not the only place to eat nearby - the two restaurants on the other side of the rail underpass (one Mexican, the other more typical but home-cooked fare) were very good and we just ate there the rest of the time.

By the way, although there is a lot of rail traffic near the hotel (trains seemed to go by at least 4-5 times a day), and our room was in the annex nearer the tracks, the trains never disturbed us. They don't screech or honk their horns and there's no clanging rail crossing.

For active types I recommend a hike - we did the Vista Point hike at Two Medicine lake and although it was pretty strenuous it was a fantastic view. For the less active (or heck everyone actually) I also recomend taking the "Red Bus" tour on Going to the Sun Road. It leaves right from the front of the hotel and you'll see the best mountain scenery in the USA.

10  Thank Sashazur
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We wanted to stay in the historic lodges at Yellowstone and Glacier Parks.
OK, the lobby here is awesome!! Relaxing and inspiring. And, the views are dramatic. I enjoyed reading in the front of the fire.
The bathrooms will never confused with any big name chain operation.
We stayed two nights -in the final week prior to winter closure. It was like the set of the "the Shining" (very few guests).
The food was not great, in fact, the breakfast- buffet eggs were barely warm.
Have a glass of wine in the lobby, watch the sunset from the bar, but avoid eating or staying at this lodge until it is refurbished and the the food service is improved.

5  Thank grandcanyondave
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I didn't read the reviews of the Lodge until I returned from my stay. I have to say I was surprised. My husband and I spent four days/3 nights at the Lodge in mid-Sept. We had a great time. We came by train, and loved being picked up by a stretch Checker cab. It was a pleasant surpirse. We had expected to walk the couple of blocks to the front door of the lodge. The driver was pleasant and helpful. Checking in was a breeze. We joked about the stairs to the 3rd floor (which because of the height of the 1st floor is more like walking up to the 4th floor) but we knew in advance that there were no elevators. We also knew that the rooms were rustic, no TV, hair dryer, etc. Because we have stayed at other properties built in the early part of the 20th century, we expected that the bathroom conversions would be small, and they were. We have also been quite comfortable staying at properties that have not added private baths but are still using the "bathroom down the hall" system. The rooms were very simple but the carpeting and bedspread were new. I would have been very disappointed to arrive at the lodge only to discover that rooms were like the Holiday Inn at home. And besides I didn't come to the Glacier National Park area to sit in my hotel room.

As for the room rate, who doesn't know that taxes aren't included when you are quoted a price? I thought the price was a bit high but so high that I would avoid staying here again.

We enjoyed the restaurant and lounge. Although the food is pricey, it was of good quality and the service was excellent. Maybe if you stay here in the early season the staff is still learning their jobs. We did not run into a single staff person that was a disappointment. In fact we received stellar service from the concierge desk, wait staff (both restaurant and lounge), and the attendant in the convenience store.

We also enjoyed the quiet time sitting by the fireplace reading, visiting with new friends or playing cards. This is the sort of vacation that people sought out in the past. A place to relax and the time to do it.

The highlight of the stay was the Circle Tour that we took with the Red Bus Touring Company. Tom, our "jammer", (also known as the driver and guide) was outstanding. We were having such a good time, that with our blessing he extended the trip by an hour and half at no extra charge.

Would I stay there again? In a heartbeat. Maybe you need to be a certain kind of traveller to enjoy this lodge. We loved it.

10  Thank PJ77
Reviewed September 11, 2006

An embarassment to the National Parks System! We made the road trip loop from Banff down to Waterton, Glacier, up to Kootenay, Lake Louise, Jasper staying thoroughout American and Canadian parks and this was the worst.

I gambled on booking a 2 night stay in a "renovated" family room because I wanted to experience the lodge pole pine construction, romantic wild west lodges written about in books. The exterior and lobby live up to the scenic rustic beauty of wilderness lodges, but they disguise horribly trained staff, poorly maintained facilities and absent management. I expected no elevators, air conditioning or TVs, but what we got was worse. Our @$225/ nt 3rd floor room was tired, the undersized bathroom had rusting metal panels on the ceiling and walls, an RV-sized prefab shower stall with an 8" band of disgusting gooey soap-scum at the base of the shower curtains and an incessant drippy faucet. The only spot for a toieltry bag or toothbrush was on the back of the toilet - no counter and a mini-sized sink. Poor facilities and poorly cleaned.

To top it off, at 10p.m. one evening other guests were given the key to our room and they walked in on us! The front desk was puzzled but not sympathetic-they offered us nothing to correct the situation. We felt totally violated and both times we brought it up we were told we'd have to call back, the management wasn't there. Nor could they comment on points of interest in the area or the best routes to Going -to-the-Sun Road- they didn't know!! (It happens to be the #1 attraction in the park, but they didnt know about the 3 road choices to get there???? Poorly trained staff!

The restaurant was also pathetic. I asked the hostess what she would recommend from the menu and she didnt know- I'd have to ask the server. Our server was a female version of Lurch from the Aadams family. She had no menu favorites and was annoyed by my asking. She rolled her eyes when I handed her a dirty wine glass which had someone else's lipstick on it. One of my kids ordered a "pasta with butter- no cheese" and it came with- you guessed it- cheese. The $30 chicken was hard and dry and it still had more personality than our server. Try eating in town where the warmth of Montana hospitality shines through and people are actually happy to see customers.

The one amazing exception was an evening program where a Blackfoot Native American speaker came and spoke by the fireplace. He was honest, genuine and charming in open discussions about the state of the Blackfeet nation and their painful struggle to recover from the collapse of their dessimated buffalo-based infrastructure. I was fascinated by the dichotomy between his deep love for America and the pain the Blackfeet suffered at America's hands. It's a story worth hearing.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
#2 of 10 in East Glacier Park
Whistling Swan Motel
Whistling Swan Motel
#2 of 6 in East Glacier Park

Been to Glacier Park Lodge? Share your experiences!