“A good place, but not for everyone”
Review of Glacier Park Lodge

Glacier Park Lodge
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a unique hotel, where you must appreciate the quirkiness to enjoy. True to its 100 year heritage, it is very much an old-style hotel. The building itself and the lobby are magnificent and impressive. The room was adequate in size and furnishings, but being an old hotel the bathroom was small.

There was very much a lack of privacy between rooms. My room was part of what could be a multiple room suite in the annex with connecting doors to adjacent rooms. Though I'm sure a nice feature for large families, the doors themselves were paper thin. It seems to me they could greatly improve the sound insulation just by installing some more solid doors.

Very few amenities. I was fine with no phone or TV as I went to Glacier to get away from the world for a few days. No A/C, but I don't think it generally gets too hot there. My room opened onto a balcony, shared with adjacent rooms, that had a nice view of the mountains. It was nice to sit there and relax for a while. Wi-Fi coverage was very spotty. You could only really get signal in common areas. I don't think it would destroy the ambiance of the hotel to add some wireless hotspots closer to the rooms.

This is a good place to use as a jumping off spot for Glacier. I my first day at Glacier at Two Medicine, then spent the night here. I drove Going-To-The-Sun the next day, and stayed the next night in West Glacier.

I was not disappointed with my stay at Glacier Park Lodge. I would have rated it higher, but I do think the rooms are slightly overpriced for what you get even when you consider the location and the history.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Reviewed August 18, 2013 NEW

Of all the lodges I have stayed at in our beautiful national parks, Glacier Park Lodge, is my least favorite. I don't expect much from one of our historic treasures, don't need television in room, nor wifi but a small coffee pot would have been nice. For what you are charged for a room, they leave a lot to be desired. Rooms are dated, beds not comfortable (headboard rattled everytime you moved). The bathroom is extremely small - the sink was very tiny with a glass shelf right above it that overhung part of the sink so that it was very difficult to use without getting water everywhere. Faucet leaked. The shower was extremely small. I didn't have a problem with no A/C as evenings cooled down into the 40's so you could sleep comfortably. The food in the restaurant was reasonably adequate. Luna's down the street is also a great casual place to eat. They also were one of the few businesses in the area that had wifi for those who have a difficult time being logged off while on vacation. :0) My recomendation would be visit the lodge for its historical signifiance in the area and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cordelia1849
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is our second stay at Glacier Park Lodge which is celebrating its 100th birthday this year and much of its charm is owed to its historic significance to the Park. The lobby is imposing with large fireplace, which even in summer, feels very nice during the cool evenings. Most of the guests enjoy congregating here after dinner, listening to live music, reading or just relaxing after a long day of outdoor activity. Connecting the main lodge to another wing, there is also a long loggia with big windows allowing nice views and overlooking the outdoor pool and front lawn on opposite sides. Comfortable chairs and tables are arranged here for reading, playing cards, or morning coffee. I was able to log onto wifi in the main lodge only after many tries and assistance from the front desk clerk. There are two golf courses; an executive par 3 and a regular 9-hole layout with some great views of the mountains. Breakfasts and dinners in the main dining room were quite good, well-prepared and nicely presented. The fruit on the breakfast buffet was quite fresh and delicious. The wait staff is extremely friendly and anxious to please. The Lodge is perfectly located for access to many excellent hikes, horseback riding and Going-To-The-Sun Road. You do have to drive a few miles to get to Two Medicine Lake hikes, which are the closest ones to the hotel. These are beautiful trails, so well-worth the time to get to them. Amtrak delivers guests right to the front door. There are a couple of rental car agencies in East Glacier if you arrive by train and need transportation. The famous Red Buses are also available for tours of the Park. Tours and activities can be easily arranged at the front desk. The general atmosphere of the Lodge is quite inviting.

Rooms are, of course, quite dated. Our double queen room was on the 3rd level....no elevators...felt sorry for our bellboy who had to hustle our heavy luggage (several weeks on the road does not permit traveling light) all the way up. Our double queen room was spacious, but had small ribbon windows and no balcony. Small closet and super small bathrooms, so limited laydown space, making it necessary to work out of your suitcase with a minimum of unpacking.
The biggest negative is the lack of sound-proofing. The walls are paper thin and it is impossible to talk at a normal tone without your neighbors hearing you. In fact, we returned from downstairs one evening around 9:30, and as soon as we unlocked our door and walked into the room, we had a knock on the adjoining door telling us to get quiet because they were trying to sleep! Then someone on the other side of us must have dropped a pocketful of change on the floor and we could have sworn they were in our room. If the Lodge remodels, we do hope that they find a way to provide a bit more privacy for their guests.

The experience of staying at any of the lodges in the Park is worth some inconvenience. Just be prepared for basic accommodations, but enjoy a lovely time in one of the most beautiful parks in the U. S. We never tire of the majesty of the scenery here in Glacier.

Room Tip: For those of you who cannot manage stairs, be aware that there is no elevator in this Lodge. There...
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at 3 different Glacier Park Inc. properties while we were in Glacier, this being the last one. When we pulled up to it, we were in awe. It looks gorgeous, and seemed well worth the VERY high price. Then we got inside. There was one person working at the front desk, and 7 people in line to check in, so it was a VERY slow check in. The main part of the lodge is nice, but not as nice as Many Glacier. The rooms are horrible. They are dated, cramped, and uncomfortable. The beds are horrible, but the rooms are so nosiy you can't sleep anyway! We went downstairs to listen to some music, only to find 2 bats flying around the gift shop/great room area. I know that some new company just won the contract for all the Glacier Park properties, so I hope they make some BIG changes, because this place turned out to be a dump.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't get a room here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MerrylandMama
Cassandra S, Guest Relations Manager at Glacier Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear MerrylandMama,

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Glacier Park Lodge. We were glad to read that you enjoyed the grounds of the property, however, we were disappointed to read of your unpleasant experience inside. It is unusual for there to be only one person during check-in and and apologize for the long wait. We understand that our guests enjoy a quick check-in process, so they can carry on with their plans during their trip. It is also very unusual to hear of the bats flying around the gift shop. We apologize for the distraction. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Cassandra Sunell
Glacier Park, Inc.
Guest Relations Manager
406-863-4715
csunell@glacierparkinc.com

Reviewed August 19, 2013

100 year anniversary, so must give it something for what that means - why it was built, where it was built - golf course on front lawn, beautiful lodge from the outside, view of Glacier out back - all good. I thought I did my homework, but there's not a lot of choices on East side of Glacier, that I could find which is why I chose. I didn't realize there was no TV and no AC - maybe that should be a given - but there was a window fan in the closet, so we took advantage of that. Service was poor - check in was 3pm, we arrived at 3:15 and room wasn't ready until 4pm. Desk clerk didn't seem to care very much - of course I had to prepay the room when I booked months ago, so why should she care. I asked for a room as high as possible - got 108, hmm. Bed was rickety - very noisy. Comforter was old, brown, itchy. Sheets and pillows were OK. Shower was super small - probably more like one in an RV. Towels were clean & white, but very scratchy. We ate at the Lounge. Ordered a turkey, cheese, bacon sandwich. Got cold turkey & cheese, no bacon, on white bread - not toasted, not grilled, not even microwaved, hmm. Breakfast showed a menu and a buffet, but host said you could only get buffet - $13.70 each and we're not big on breakfast so we skipped breakfast altogether and got on the road early - very glad it was only one night.

1  Thank Karen R
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Pro's:
-Golf course
-Large outdoor wrap-around, though shared with all other rooms; not a private balcony
-Dining room (food was decent).
-Ability to arrange tours at the Front Desk.
-Close proximity to Glacier National Park and small town.
-Plenty of parking.
-Outdoor pool.

Cons:
-Rooms are sparse, poorly decorated. No closet curtains. No curtains on windows in bathroom (though glass was frosted).
-Very, very noisy. Let me reiterate, very noisy. There was a sign in the all of the hallways at night: "Shhh, it's sleepy time". Pipes would clang at night, repetitively.
-Expensive
-No elevators and multiple stories.
-No climate control in rooms, though beds were comfortable.
-No business center.

Overall: Other lodges in Yellowstone National Park & the Grand Tetons, while smaller, were more affordable and offered better services. If absolutely needing a place to stay around Glacier NP and cost isn’t an issue, this lodge would suffice. It's like staying in an old college dorm room.
Very big tourist destination, seemingly for the older travelers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ezodeiko
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights. Mouldy, musty, no cool air, no fan in the bathroom, no fridge, no TV, no wifi in the room, very dusty all over. We had to move the plastic flowers to the bacony, because the box fan (to cool the room) made the dust scatter everywhere. I have never sneezed as much in my life. The ambiance in the foyer and public lounge is great, but I guess what was comfortable 100 years ago just does not suffice today. The value for money ratio is all screwed, and I can therefore not give it more than two stars. There is also only one ice machine on one side of the building, no elevator, and climbing to the 3rd story every time makes life sometimes uncomfortable. Just to have an early morning coffee (no coffee machine in the room) you have to dress appropriately, walk down the stairs, wait in a queue and then back up the stairs make for 19th century comfort.

Room Tip: Look around - there are many rooms available just up the street, better value for money.
2  Thank Matt1943
Cassandra S, Guest Relations Manager at Glacier Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Matt1943,

Thank you for providing your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us at Glacier Park Lodge. We apologize for the dust in the room, and to hear that you felt the value of the of this historic lodge was lacking. The historic integrity of the building is an experience we strive to share with our guests, however we do wish to share a clean and non-dusty one. Management has been contacted in order to make the appropriate changes.

Cassandra Sunell

#2 of 6 in East Glacier Park
Travelers Rest Lodge
Travelers Rest Lodge
#1 of 10 in East Glacier Park

Been to Glacier Park Lodge? Share your experiences!