“A PLEASANT SURPRISE”
Review of Bison Creek Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Glacier Park
Bison Creek Ranch
Parsons, Kansas
“A PLEASANT SURPRISE”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I made this reservation because the location fit into my travel plans. Frankly, I was concerned because we had paid $140 the night before in Kalispel for your typical motel room, which did not include breakfast. Bison Ranch was $84/night INCLUDING breakfast. We expected the cabins to be somewhat rustic, and they were. However, they were very clean, included a coffeemaker and coffee, a small frig, and a million dollar view next to a babbling brook. We had a great home-cooked dinner in the restaurant, with a delightful third-generation family member as our waitress. This place is a family affair, and they take obviously take pride in and enjoy what they do.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VINCENT M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Moundsville, West Virginia
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed with Keith and the crew. The cabins were a deal at the price, clean, quiet, and most of all we really felt at home. We spent all day out hiking and sight seeing, when we hit the sack, we slept. You aren't going to confuse these cabins with Harmans Cottages or Lucci Raines cabins in West Virginia, but youi are in Montana, and rustic is the theme. The hot water is tricky, but we had plenty. The food that Keith provided was out of this world, and there was plenty, we did not go hungry or wish we were fed something else. We give this place a 5 star rating out of 5. We just can't say anything bad about the place unless it was lie. We are hoping to go back this year, as we are Amtraking out from West Virginia. We had a nice stay and a great time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JerryAndrews
Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Disgusted by the inflation in prices for in-park lodging, we looked around and found Bison Creek Ranch. Don't expect Ritz-Carlton amenities but do expect a friendly family run atmosphere, comfortable small cabins with new beds, great individually cooked breakfasts, all at affordable prices. We stayed six nights while touring Glacier National Park, arriving and departing on Amtrak.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gachap
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The restaurant was recommended to us by the motel I was staying at. Had fried chicken, a rib eye, soup, salad, vegetables, bread and hot tea. First, we wanted fish however all of their fish is frozen including trout etc. not a good start! The soup and salad were great as were the vegetables. The main courses however... Fried chicken was not drained so greasy and had no real flavor and the rib eye was lower supermarket quality. The family who owns the restaurant were extremely nice but I would eat elsewhere!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank starmgr
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just got back from Glacier and spent 2 nights in one of the A frames. It is very rustic and old so we didn't expect much, and that's what we got. They let us check in at 1 so that was nice to unload before exploring the Two Medicine area. Walking into the bedroom on the main floor I discovered a large beetle crawling across the floor. Ok, it's just a bug. I sqashed it and picked it up with a paper towel, ours, since there weren't any in the kitchen, and threw it out. Not a good introduction. The loft was nice to have so the two kids could sleep up there. The stairs are very steep and my son slipped down them the next morning but he was ok. No railing or room for one. The bathroom is very small, I hit my head on the wall sitting down on the toilet. But the shower is good with plenty of hot water. The fridge is a small bar type. It was hot and there are fans in the closet so we used one of them and the ceiling fan above the main area. It does cool down nicely at night.
Other negatives: When wiping a small spill off kitchen floor, the paper towel came up very dirty. When my wife went to the office to ask for paper towels and another wash cloth, she felt she was treated rudely, like she was inconveniencing the woman for asking for these items. No greeting or smile, no thanks for staying. We were awoken that night by a rustling sound, and I discovered a mouse on the kitchen counter helping himself to our cellophane wrapped cookies. He jumped down and went behind the water heater in the corner and disappeared. At breakfast,
I told the owner about the mouse, he went in the back for a trap to give me, but didn't have any useful ones. He said he'd pick one up that day, and that they had a few mice in there as well.
We got back that evening and there was no trap. When I went out to the car about 9 pm he walked over with a trap with peanut butter on it and handed it to me and we chatted breifly. Since I've used them before, I set the trap myself in the kitchen. The mouse paid a visit, ate the bait but didn't set it off so he's probably still there. We had moved all our food back out to the car so there wasn't anything else for him. My family went to finish packing and I went to the counter to check out. The owner was chatting with another customer across the room,but while I stood there his wife came out of the back with a cup of coffee and walked right past me with barely a hi when I said it first, and sat down. She called for him, he didn't hear, so she gave a big sigh and came over, obviously annoyed, asked me what cabin, dug out a little card, and called him again while going to sit again. Never said a word to me. He came over and picked up the card from her, asked me how our stay was, and if we'd come back. Told him no, we like seeing different areas. He said yes, it's a big country, and that's pretty much it. Again, no thank you. He seemed friendly enough, at least smiled, but could use some lessons from his daughter. They both could.
The breakfasts are very good, and the 1st day we were waited on by their daughter, and she was very friendly and thanked us several times for staying there. That's the only thanks we ever heard.
If not for that, we would rate this higher as we don't mind rustic. We used to tent when younger. But the dirty floor, and being treated as an inconvenience or indifferently is not acceptable to us. The free roaming horse was neat, and it is a great location just 2 miles from East Glacier. For the same price though, (except for breakfast) we stayed in Hungry Horse at Glacier Bed and Breakfast and it was a palace compared to this, and Bob was the friendliest guy you'll ever meet. I'd never stay at Bison again and couldn't recomment it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank frozentundraguy
East Glacier Park, Montana, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Bison Creek Ranch was great- A-frame cabin was clean- comfortable beds, huge lawn area- food was excellent in the restaurant- great steaks, fried chicken, omelets, sausage, huckleberry rolls and pancakes, etc. made from scratch. Owner and family very classy , and just had wonderful warmth and friendliness- other A-frames close by but had friendly Canadians who petted our dogs and shared the grill- very quieit nights with distant train rolling by a few times- A very tame, friendly horse roamed free on the lawn and let you pet it- the 2 pug dogs and spaniel were friendly but a little intimidated by our 2 huge golden lab and malamute/chow cross dogs-great old road to hike up behind the cabins to the river- town was close by for ice, beer, gas etc. Glacier Park was beautiful- Great photos of Mountain Goats, grizzly bear, antelope, buffalo, saw a bighorn sheep jump the highway, and a moose- saw amazing Blackfoot Indian artifacts and artwork in Browning- love to go back- thanks!

Room Tip: A-frames bigger
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Halsey, Oregon
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in mid September, 2011. The rural setting, quiet and scenic was just right. The rooms were very clean (we stayed in one of the older cabins) albeit rustic, but that is just what we wanted. For $65.00 per night in the East Glacier area, with a very nice breakfast included, that is definitely a bargain. The host is a very congenial and interesting man, and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit there. I would definitely recommend this facility and would return there when in the area.

Room Tip: This is not a luxury set up, but it is definitely CLEAN, comfortable, and more than sufficient
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 6 in East Glacier Park
Whistling Swan Motel
Whistling Swan Motel
#3 of 6 in East Glacier Park

Been to Bison Creek Ranch? Share your experiences!