“Clean and Spacious Cabins - Minimal Amenities”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City High Country Motel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It is all about your expectations. When you go to your cabin after registration you are surrounded by all kinds of things that formerly had wheels. When you get there, you’ll find the cabins clean and spacious, with a little porch to sit out of you are so inclined.

Don’t expect any luxuries. You will not find them. If you need a quiet clean room and don’t mind the surroundings, you will..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Moose M, Owner at Cooke City High Country Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Hi,
I am sorry that you did not have a good stay at the High Country. We really do take a lot of pride in our place. I noticed that you stated that there were a lot of things that used to be on wheels on the property. If you are speaking on the airstream that my family and I have had to reside in, there are actually wheels still on it and it is out of here as soon as our living quarters are done. The campers are at the back of the property on the ally, so it should have been barely visible from your cabin.
As far as amenities go, we offer wifi, hot tub, microwaves and fridges in the cabins (which you stayed in), and complimentary toiletries as well. We do have a limited selection of channels on the television as we have instead chosen to invest in our outside space like putting a hot tub in, steps down to the creek behind the motel, and a teepee with fire ring and a horse shoe pit as well. The rooms do not have phones and there is no cell phone service, but we do offer a public phone in the two story. Most people come to the mountains to "un-plug" anyways, but I can see that being a frustration.
We can't do everything overnight, but we certainly would like to and plan to continually upgrade the Motel as we can.
Our place has spectacular views all around and I am sorry that you focused on the campers. That part is our of our control.
Paige

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Spent one night here before waking and traveling to Yellowstone. Room was basic but CLEAN. Cleanliness is a huge factor for me and my family and you never know what to expect when stopping at a locally owned place. My family and I slept well and if I ever travel this way again, I would not hesitate to rebook. Also, be prepared to "unplug." Nice owners and staff too!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Daniellea6496
Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you are looking to stay at the Ritz this is not where you want to go, however if you are looking for a nice family getaway into the mountains, no cell, no phone in rooms, almost no internet (unless your in a room nearest the office, very limited TV, just reconnect in front of the campfire roasting marshmallows and meeting others that have decided to stop in Cooke City on there way to or from Yellowstone Nat'l Park then this is your place. You can tell the new owners have been really working to get this place a little more up to date. There are new beds, hand crafted headboards, bedding (love the bed quilts) carpeting etc. but there is still a lot to be done, so know that it is a work in progress. The owners are currently working on the Office/home next door to the cabins as they are currently residing in a camper in the back with their adorable little girl. I am quite sure the importance is on getting this finished or close to it before the snow begins to fly is more important that adding more upgrades to the rooms. The rooms are overall clean but remember some were built in the early 50's and 60's and part of the motel in the early 70's so they are missing a few things that are expected by the average traveler. Example there are no electrical outlets in the bathroom so if you ladies are planning on curling/straightening your hair also bring your own mirror to set up near an outlet same goes for you men using an electric razor. The cabins/rooms we stayed in had full kitchens and that was great as my hubby has many food allergies and it is just easier for us to cook then to eat out. The cookware (pots/pans) are getting pretty old too and really needs some newer stuff to replace it, but you can make it work. I had decided not to use the oven as they looked like they could use a bit of a cleaning I didn't want to start a fire in the oven from the burnt on leftover things in there. I am a bit of a germ a phobe so I washed everything using my own dish cloth before cooking eating off it. They do provide dish soap and a sponge and in one cabin the sponges looked new and the other not so much and with the amount of bacteria that can collect in a sponge I was glad that I brought my own stuff. Maybe the might want to have dish clothes available. After watching Hotel Impossible and hearing how when you stay at a place where occupants are required to wash everything they have used in the kitchen or be charged a fee will only lead people to rinse dry and stick back into the cabinet there was no way I wasn't going to wash first. Also I would advise the owners to take just a little more time when cleaning the tub/shower to not let soap scum build up or ring around the tub and something more then a Swiffer wet mop on the floors as a noticed them to be a little sticky. But let me say again the rooms were overall clean, just the couch needed to be vacuumed under the cushions a little extra care in the tub and on the floors and maybe wipe down the light switches. Owners were very accommodating and helpful with any questions or needs. I would also recommend that even though the shower curtains are fairly new, they might want to invest in some that don't have a clear strip that lines up with the bathroom window, made me a little uncomfortable knowing that someone could peek in the window and see me in the shower, not that anyone would but still. Family had fun roasting marshmallows over the fire inside the Teepee and hiking around the area. FYI remember you are in the mountains in bear country too they have a couple of nightly visitor. Also if you are a light sleeper or want to sleep in bring earplugs as ATV's are a primary source of transportation around town and a lot of travelers in the summer are traveling via motorcycle. It is all part of the charm of this community. Everyone is super nice in all the shops and stores and you can't help but enjoy your visit. Views are spectacular!

Room Tip: room 11 is nicer for not much more you get a bedroom separate from the rest of the room a lot more s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WhitzMT
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently had a family reunion in Cooke City and stayed at High Country. Brandon and his family were so accommodating to our large group. We always have a good time but they made it even better! We highly reccomend staying at High Country, you will not regret it. We will definitely stay there again on our next trip to Cooke City!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Bryan M
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had a blast as usual in Cooke and e surrounding high country. 4 wheeling, hiking fishing and the great local community.. Locals are always super...the high country hotel and cabins are the best thanks to u Brandon and Paige

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShiRley B
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is a typical small community Motel in a moutain setting. Very busy town in the summer. Lots of tourists. Lots of traffic. Lots of LOUD motorcycles. (they all need to have their baffles out and at 7AM they start up and have to rev'm up for 15 mins in the front of the Motels to make sure evryone is awake or whatever reason.) The owner is very friendly and helpful. Location of Motel is right next to the main highway as are most others. The countryside is beautiful and there are lots of off roads to get up to the higher country to hike or just smell the pines. The rooms here are good sized, and clean. This is an older Motel in a small town. Priced reasonably for the area. Beds could use the next upgrade as for me, a good nights sleep is number one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Moose M, Owner at Cooke City High Country Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hi,
Thank you for your response. Your comments didn't really match the star ratings? However, I apologize for the bad nights sleep. We have replaced every mattress in the motel except for one room, and that is on its way within the week. We have been delaying it, but after the review, that jumped to the top of priorities, because i believe that a good nights sleep is paramount.
The motorcycles are certainly loud in this corner of the world for sure. In the winter, it is the snowmobiles and i don't think anyone owns a baffler. It would be nice at times if they waited a bit, but we don't have much control over that. Many of our guests, coast out of the parking lot without firing up there engine at all, but not everyone is that wonderful. If we get the chance, we have requested diesel trucks park across the street.
We are by the highway, but the valley is small and there isn't much choice. We do have a firepit in our teepee as well as outside and have put in stairs down to the creek, so we have created a few escapes. The highway has a speed limit of 25 mph however, so it isn't too bothersome.
Thanks for your feedback. We are new owners and have worked very hard on the motel in the last two years and are continuing our efforts to make it a great place to stay.
,Paige and Brandon

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Been staying in this motel for over 20 years and have not had any problems with this cute little getaway.
The rooms are always clean, comfortable, affordable and oh my the view is AMAZING!!! The new owners Brandon and Paige are bringing a fresh look and style to the already cute and comfy motel. How anyone would pass up this place is beyond me. This is a must stay in motel and meet the new owners and friendly staff and see for yourself how quaint this place really is. Thank you Brandon and Paige for such a relaxing place to put our feet up......see you next year

• Stayed: August 2013