“Benji rocks. and so does the High Country”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City High Country Motel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Bozeman, Montana, United States
“Benji rocks. and so does the High Country”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We travel to Cooke City a few weekends in the winter/spring to do some skiing, and this is the only place we stay. Lounging in the outside hot tub, looking up at Republic Peak, Town Hill, and the Fin after a long ski tour is my little slice of heaven. We have stayed in a refinished room and one of the cabins, and they were both well maintained and clean. To all the whiners on here: this isn't the Super 8 off the highway-there's no maid cart with fresh towels to come clean your room every day-but Benji, the solo employee who maintains this place day in and day out on his own, is there to take care of anything you need. This is the motel experience I wish was in every small town in Montana. Rumor has it they won't be open next winter, and we are already worried about where to stay in Cooke on our ski trips! Thanks for the great spot!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Moose M, Owner at Cooke City High Country Motel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hey, We have no intention of closing next winter, so no worries. Benji does rock and we are sorry he won't be there anymore, but has assured us he will be popping in from time to time to help out. My husband and I will be taking the helm. I am glad that you like the Motel because we love it and we will see you next winter, Paige, owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've been travelling all over Montana since coming into retirement and nothing beats hitting the open road with very little set plans. This mentality settled me right into Cooke City for the first time years ago during one of my short trips to see the Beartooths. I decided to try out the High Country, I think I'm just predisposed to like small rustic cabins over the alternative big box hotels. Anyway, my instincts did not disappoint. The rooms were clean and comfortable, while the staff was present at a moments notice and very knowledgeable of the immediate area. This is what has kept me coming back to the High Country every time I venture back through Cooke City.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mark R
West Michigan
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I traveled through yellowstone this past weekend and had the pleasure of staying here. I did a little poking around in the city before settling on the high country. What sold me was how helpful and courteous the staff was. They reassured me that if i needed anything they would provide it to me. They also suggested some local spots for good food and drinks. I stayed in one of the cabins, and it was very clean and orderly, not to mention the beautiful views of the surrounding mountains that it provided. Overall, i know that if I come back to Cooke City, I will be staying with the high country.

Room Tip: If going solo, or with a partner the cabins are awesome!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank GrandHaven04
Conyers, Georgia
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have stayed in Cook City every year for over 20 years, and stayed at the High Country this year because we had to book late and our usual motel was booked. our stay was from 9-6 2012 through 9-8-2012, we would have stayed 2 more nights but were lucky enough to get a room at another motel for our last 2 nights.
We needed a double and they told us they were giving us a suite which consisted of living room, kitchen, bedroom and a couch that pulled out into a queen sized bed.
When we checked in they were only able to provide 1 key to the room, we just made do. On going in the room the first thing we noticed was how stained and dirty the carpet was and
there was only 1 chair in the living room and it was broken.
During our entire stay, the room was never cleaned, trash never taken out nor provided any clean towels or wash clothes.
the mattress on the pull out bed was so old and worn that you had to sleep on steel springs, I ended up just sleeping on the sofa, as it was.
on the day we checked out I asked why the room was never touched I was told " you could have asked ". This would have been hard to do since the office hours were from 8am to 8pm and we left and returned to our room when the office was closed. I advised them that some things were expected when you stayed at a motel.

Room Tip: If you want a clean room, and good service you need to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank montana781
Billings, Montana
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and daughter and I went here for Labor day weekend. They have recently added a teepee and we got to experience a fire in the teepee with the new owners. My daughter absolutely loved it.
The location is the best in Cooke, with unobstructed views of Mt. Republic and Woody. The creek is right out back and though it is a steep climb down, we still had fun exploring a bit.
The owners are new and really friendly. THey have added a hot tub since taking over and that was a real godsend after a long day of hiking and my daughter loved it. You can also take in a sweet view while in the hot tub.
The rooms were outdated, but clean. The owners said they are slowly but surely doing what they can to add more and more amenities.
The rates are comparable to the rest of town and lots cheaper than staying anywhere in the park.
The manager was very friendly and accomodating.
We reccomend this place for sure. Great spot, great people and good luck to the new owners and don't let these previous reviews get you down. I was surprised when I read them. This was easily the cleanest place in town and we had a great time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank roadhog52
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Unexpectedly stayed in Cooke City, so reservations were made with little options to research. Was told it was a 2 room cabin (2 couples traveling) and it turns out the second room was a bathroom. Room was clean but very basic. Bathroom was leaking and shower head only worked when angled certain ways.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ennis
Reviewed August 5, 2012

"Nice guy" at the front room but he was totally clueless as to any service. We rented one of the cute looking stand alone cabins. No ice, poor internet, no air con (87 degrees today), no screen on the front door, no side tables or lamps, no shampoo/conditioner/lotion, old carpet with stains and drapes hanging askew; water on the bathroom floor from some unknown source, all for the price of $110.00. Very nice town with plenty of other good options.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Cooke City High Country Motel? Share your experiences!