“Magical”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed December 1, 2011

What a lovely little place. I would never stay anywhere else in Cooke CIty. We had a wonderful few days here in Sept 2011. Staff were so friendly and had really helpful advice. The rooms were spacious and clean and well equipped. The beds and pillows were super comfy! Cooke City is just stunning - it's up in the mountains and it's so quiet. We ate at the Beartooth Cafe every night which was fantastic. The Loving Cup cafe is also wonderful. CC is so near to the entrance of Yellowstone and personally it's my favourite entrance I think. It's not where the dramatic stuff is, but it is the most beautiful and wildlife packed area in the park as far as I can see. We will be back!

1  Thank Herts67
There are newer reviews for Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Cooke City is very small and most structures are old. That being said, this lodge offered comfortable beds (I requested the room with pillowtop mattresses--not all rooms have them yet), generous space, attractive decor, and cleanliness. We did not experience any noise issues from adjacent rooms when there in early Sept. Breakfast is not included but, being a small town, restaurants and supplies are walking distance. Our hostess was eager to please and shared information regarding current wildlife activity in the park. Be aware, if you arrive early, you may need to walk down from the office cabin to the lodge to find your hostess as this is a hands-on operation. The owners are in the process of completing a new office building with added amenities. Relative to the location, this is a reliable establishment.

1  Thank northwoodsorbust
cookecitymt, Owner at Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

First of all let me say "thank you" for your kind words about our motel. I would like to clear up 2 things since we have alot of customers who read about us on Trip Advisor. 1) While we do have comfortable beds with Sealy mattresses we do not have "PillowTop" mattresses. As of May 2, 2012 we will have new mattresses in all of our rooms and cabins and we are quite excited to offer them to our customers so they get a good nights sleep!. 2) Our new office building was completed in October of 2011.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

No complaints at all with the room which was clean and comfy.
I do feel the rate of $99 was high for bed only no breakfast.
Cooke City is a small quaint town which does not offer a lot of choice particularly as we were there mid october

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roscoetheotter
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I booked this hotel after reading other reviews here, and was disappointed. All soft furniture had large tears. The room smelled heavily of perfume chemicals. Eventually my husband found an air freshener "plug in" hidden behind furniture. He unplugged it, which helped some. But the linens also had a very strong chemical smell that lingered days later in my PJs (2 week trip, I needed to wear some items more than once). The drinking cups were resting in a bowl with soap, so the cups were also imbued with chemical scents. There is no A/C, so to get any ventilation, you have to open the windows. The main window had sheers only - no blinds or opaque curtains. We had to hang a blanket over the window to have any privacy at all. The main window was so huge and low to the ground that a person could pass through it (and into our room) easily, which scared me. You can hear everything going on in the neighboring rooms and everything said by anyone using the pay phone. If we hadn't had to pay in full at check-in, I would have looked for somewhere safer to stay for the rest of our vacation. If you aren't bothered by strong chemical scents, and are less concerned about privacy and personal safety, then you might like this place more than I did. My husband had a slightly higher opinion of the room. I rated "poor" instead of "terrible" because the room was clean and was conveniently located for Yellowstone.

6  Thank Enoon
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Nice, comfortable, and clean room
close to east entrance of Yellowstone
$99+ seemed high for the room and location but they don't have much competition in the town

1  Thank iosilver
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I operate a wildlife guide service out of Jackson WY and have booked my clients at many of the properties in Cooke City. After trying them all I have come back to Elk Horn Lodge over and over again. The accommodations are always clean, comfortable, quaint, and reasonably priced. Jeff and Lisa always go above and beyond to make sure that my clients are always happy. They even prepared us dinner when everything in town was closed. You can't go wrong with this lodge....

Room Tip: The cabins are the best!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank EcoTaylor
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Our second visit to Cooke City, a really nice small town 4 miles from the North East entrance and the Lamar Valley which is excellent for wild life. The whole park is always worth a visit.

The Lodge is on the main street in Cooke City and the rooms are situated in out houses from the office. Our room was a really good size with all amenities, TV, limited stations, microwave, coffee machine, fridge. The room and bathroom were clean and the beds were excellent and warm, which you need in this town. We tend to eat out during the day, but we did stock up on breakfast supplies and ate that in the room. A point to remember is that most people who stay in this town tend to get up really early and head for the park and the wild life, so if you like to have a lie in then be prepared to be woken up by your neighbours at any time up to 7-30 in the morning.

The Lodge is ideal for your visit to Yellowstone, but remember this is not a place to rush to your destinations there are speed restrictions in the park, animals crossing the road at various times and the roads are not straight.

However, the Lodge is a great place to stay and comes recommended for those who like the outdoor life.

3  Thank wakey47
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge? Share your experiences!