“Nice place, nice people, just a few things they could change”

Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I agree pretty much with the most recent review. Great location and very, very nice people working at the hotel...a rarity. The breakfast was great and the rooms and hotel were very clean. It would be nice to have ac so you wouldn't have to have the windows open...Cooke City was noisy on a Saturday night. The ceiling fan helped a little. We also heard the water from the other rooms, etc. But really, it was a good place to stay. This was our second stay there and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2008

My son and I stayed two nights at the Cooke City Hotel 8. I agree with many of the other reviewers- the staff is VERY helpful and friendly. They make you feel at home.

The hotel is easy to find (the town is only 1 block) and close to places to eat. We had lunch at the Beartooth Cafe (service was lacking, but food was pretty good).

I had a few problems with the place. We were on the 3rd floor- no elevators. Also, 1 ice machine on the 2nd floor. I also found the building VERY noisy. First from the thin walls (I could hear the conversations of the men in the next room) and the outside noise. There is NO AC, so we kept the windows open the whole time. I could hear every car go down the street. Thankfully there isn't much traffic, but a group of Harleys tends to keep you up at 11:30 at night. I could also hear the water running in the bathroom next store- it was pretty loud. Also, the people next to us had their TV on loud after midnight and it was driving me crazy. I did knock on the walls- but they didn't hear me.

Both nights I didn't sleep very well because of the noise. I'm also used to AC- which wasn't a big deal. But, it would have been nice to keep the window closed and cut down on the engine noise. (they did have a ceiling fan in the room which was nice)

Anyway, on a positive note- breakfast was great. We got there around 9:15am and there was plenty left. Usually it's a choice of a slice of bread or crappy cereal. But, the selection was good and the food was of good quality.

I did find the bathrooms to be VERY small. Although I did like the size and shape of the tub, it was hard to give my son a bath with the door in the way. I did find everything to be clean. I wish they would put more than 2 pillows in each room- that drives me crazy. LOL.

Internet worked great. TV worked fine- even with only 10 channels. Yes, I had NO cell phone- so the internet was my only connection to friends and family.

I did drive through West Yellowstone and Garndiner (north)- which had a lot more services than Cooke City. But, Cooke City had more charm. You really felt like you were in a small, western town in the 1800's. The ride to the NE gate of Yellowstone was about 10 minutes. We saw tons of Bison and a few Bears about 15-20 minutes into the park from that entrance.

One night there was a beautiful double rainbow after a storm. The view from the hotel is really amazing- mountains in every direction.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank thrillcats
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We stayed at the Cooke City Super 8 after driving the Beartooth from Red Lodge. The room was spotless and the hotel very quiet.
The beds were very comfortable. Coffeemaker was in the room, but coffee was available at 6:30 AM in the lobby(sort of-see below). The managers were gracious. Let us check in before regulation time (so that we could get into the park and spend the day) and gave us the key to access the room later (we did have to promise not to return too soon).

I only had one issue with the breakfast times. Breakfast is served at 7AM...now the coffee was ready at 6:30, but the manager grumbled a little when he had to get the cream out of the fridge before 7, so that everyone could have the coffee. There were several guests "ready and waiting " for breakfast by 6:45, yet for some reason, he had to wait til 7 and not a minute earlier.
It wasn't a spolier by any means and we certainly would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank em-T-sails
Reviewed July 25, 2008

One of the nicest Super 8's we have ever stayed in! Everything was new and spotlessly clean. We liked that we could do laundry there, although they wanted folks to be finished by 10 pm. The owners were friendly and accommodating, and helped us find a good place to park our motorcycle. A great place to stay if you're visiting Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway. Don't miss out on dinner at the Beartooth Cafe. High-end food and service where you'd least expect it! Cooke City is not nearly as commercialized as we were expecting. Overall, a great place to visit and a wonderful stay at the Super 8!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2008

We picked this hotel from, of course, the reviews on tripadvisor. This was the starting point for a ten day tour of Yellowstone and Grand Teton.

We booked 3 nights here because I wanted ample chances to photograph the extensive game locations in the Lamar Valley area of Northeast Yellowstone. The valley is only about 20 minutes from the nearby park entrance and reputably hosts more game than the rest of the park. We were not disappointed!
You will need a good spotting scope, binoculars and a real telephoto lens on a tripod for optimum viewing.

Forget cell service in the town and most of this area of the park. Verizon seems to be the best but you will likely find service only at the Slogh Creek wolf viewing area. Be sure to update your tower codes before leaving home. Tower junction and the Roosevelt Lodge have spotty cell service and great lunches.

The hotel was very well run by Joy and here husband but I wondered why she was the only one who ever answered my numerous phone calls at odd times of the day and night with her friendly professional greeting. Upon arrival we found that she is/was (they have likely left by now) apparently the only one hired for the job. Anyway, she was extremely helpful and most accommodating.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and reasonably quiet. The free wireless service helped replace the lack of cell phone service.

The free continental breakfasts were most filling and even included a hot waffle iron with batter ready for cooking. Joy kept all of the containers full and running smoothly.

Dinner is a must at "The Bistro" and the Beartooth Cafe.

• Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank Steve S
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We spent two nights at the Super 8 in Cooke City in May 2008. Joy, who manages the place with her husband, is an absolutely delightful and gracious hostess. The rooms are spotless, the beds are comfortable, and the complimentary breakfast is delicious. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Bozeman08
Reviewed May 7, 2008

We stayed at the Super 8 motel in Cooke City for one night, after spending the day driving through Yellowstone, using the only open road from the North entrance. We found the motel to be very clean and spacious, and the lady on the front desk was extremly helpful and friendly. Breakfast is provided, there is free internet, and good laundry facilities.
The only negative thing I would say about the accommodation is that the walls are paper thin and we happened to stay when the corn festival celebrations (nothing to do with sweetcorn!) were in full swing, so it was pretty noisy.
Cooke City itself isn't a particularly attractive town, but it provides a convenient stopping point if you're making the drive through Lemar Valley (great for spotting all kinds of animals!) and back to North entrance - and Super 8 seems to be the best place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Skikate

Been to Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area? Share your experiences!