“Couldn't find my reservation”

Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Vancouver, Canada
“Couldn't find my reservation”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

When I checked into the Super 8, they had no record of my reservation which was booked with Hotels.com but fortunately they had the last room available for one night. Staff not helpful at all and very argumentative. I paid for 2 nights in advance but decided to check out the next morning and I got a full refund for the second night without a problem. The staff were not friendly at all. I didn't have breakfast there, not keen on chain motels' breakfasts so went elsewhere. The bed was comfortable and the room clean, but no fridge or micro which I am used to but I knew that in advance. Would not stay there again. I arrived late and other places were booked and since I made the reservation with Hotels.com decided to stay at the Super 8. The staff blamed Hotels.com for not having a record of my reservation. They wanted a copy of my reservation and I couldn't print it on their computer so the girl on the desk asked me to email to her and that didn't work either. We argued for about 10 minutes and I was furious that I couldn't get a copy of my reservation to her and she kept on asking for it. Stupid woman. In the end I showed it to her on the computer. She was not only argumentative but stupid. It took half an hour to sort this mess out. The walls are very thin, I could hear someone snoring next door so my sleep was interrupted.No elevator and I was on the 2nd floor, 3 floors in all. This all ruined my stay in Cooke City - couldn't wait to leave and head for lovely Red Lodge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Angela885

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Los Altos Hills, California
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was the second time I've stayed at this motel. It isn't fancy, but it's nice enough, clean enough and modern enough. For me, it is the perfect place to stay when I am visiting Yellowstone's Lamar Valley. Staying in this motel, I can view wildlife in the evening in Lamar Valley, stay overnight not far from Lamar Valley and then view wildlife again the next morning. Just like my previous trip, we were able to see grizzlies and wolves in Lamar Valley. On this trip, we saw grizzlies during the evening and grizzlies & wolves the next morning. If we hadn't been staying nearby in Cooke City, we wouldn't have seen the wolves. Cooke City is also a great gateway to the Beartooth highway, which is by far the most scenic entrance or exit to Yellowstone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Arnolds Park, Iowa
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Recently came to Yellowstone to see the sites and animals. Our room was clean and comfortable. Was great to have wifi available as my cellular service was not available there in the park. Was able to grant us our request for a ground floor room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Three of us were in the Yellowstone area fishing for a few days and we spent a night at this hotel. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was the usual fare, but filling and free. We checked in about 7pm, with a reservation, and the young lady on the front desk was very pleasant and friendly. The hotel is located in the heart of Cooke City.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Spearfish, South Dakota
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in Cook City on our way to Yellowstone. In general it is your typical small town missing friendly people who's businesses only thrive on tourism. The guest services on the late afternoon evening was not only rude but argumentative. When I call the front desk for the wifi password she hung up on me after I asked to repeat the password to her. No pets allowed but she had her own dog in the office area. No help with directions, etc. I would not stay again. Room was clean but that is the best thing. You could hear ever toilet flush or shower in the entire facility so stay on the third floor if possible. Housekeeping was knocking on doors at 600am to clean which was very rude.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank C J
Sharpsville
Reviewed September 16, 2013

our room was fine but there was very few parking places close to the hotel. The night clerk on Sept. 2nd was very rude, didn't seem to know her job. Several customers had to tell her that it was Monday "Labor Day:, she argued with them that it was Sunday. The next night on the 3rd there was a different lady and she was fine. We have been staying at Super 8's in our different travels but it seems like our points are posted for some stays right away and others not for a long time!! Over all we like the hotels and have stayed at Wyndham hotels quite a lot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

2 Thank Glenn H
West Yellowstone, Montana
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for one night in late August on a whim. We had intended a different route for our trip, but at the last minute decided to change our itinerary and stay in Cooke City without a prior reservation so we could get up before dawn and enter Yellowstone for some wildlife spotting.
I was very tired, and so stayed in the car for check-in. My husband returned after a good long while and reported the front desk staff as being friendly, but had a rather odd request. For $116 we could sleep in the last available room in the hotel which had 2 queen beds, but must use only one of the beds. Apparently, if we utilized the second bed, we'd be charged an additional $10. OK, strange request that I, as a frequent traveler and current front desk employee at a hotel had never heard of, but whatever... we can share a bed just like every other night.
The hotel is clean, if furnished on the budget side. This is what I'd expect from a Super 8.
The real problem came in the morning as we were leaving the hotel. We got up and out the door before dawn and exited the back door. There is a set of about 5 cement steps to get down to the parking lot. That back entrance is not illuminated, not even a fixture that I could see. Just as I was commenting to my husband that they sure could use a light back there, I missed a step and down I went. Lucky for me, I landed on my carry-on-sized suitcase which broke my fall. If I was older or more frail, I could have easily done myself far more harm and I hate to think of this happening to someone again.
Being that we got up so early for a reason, I decided to push on and offer my feedback later rather than go into the office at that moment and register my complaint.
Within 24 hours, I'd emailed the hotel via the Super 8 corporate website. Shortly thereafter, I discovered an automated reply that the email address was not active, so I tried again via a direct email to the manager found on the Cooke City Super 8 website. It has now been over 2 weeks since I registered my concern, and asked for a reply so I would be assured that this matter was being addressed for future guests, and still no reply.
Given the lack of attention to communication channels provided for guests, on top of a safety hazard, I would not recommend a stay at this location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Adventuritis
Robert S, Manager at Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
As the manager I did send a response to the guest I have a contractor adding a light for those stairs. I thank her for bring this to my attention.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooke City
#6 of 6 in Cooke City
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area? Share your experiences!