“Perfect Snowmobilers Family Vacation!!”

Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Golden
“Perfect Snowmobilers Family Vacation!!”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My wife and two sons and I have returned for our third annual family snowmobiling vacation at the Super 8 in Cooke City and are we ever glad we did! The property has a freshly painted interior, the continental breakfast is simply fantastic with homemade belgian waffles as well as a variety of: juices, bagels, cereals, oatmeals, fruit, teas, freshly brewed coffee and delicious huge cinnamon rolls. Even better directly next door is the Bearclaw Bakery serving scrumtious homemade goods of all kinds! We specifically couldn't get enough of the made from scratch biscuits & gravy and the chicken parmigiana sandwiches!! We chose an upgraded jacuzzi room and appreciated the brand-new mattresses which we understand were delivered just last week. Again this year our room had a spectacular view to the mountains and was well maintained and impeccably clean; upon waking up the next morning my family and I commented on how we all had a truly rejuvenating & comfortable and restful nights sleep! Refreshing news also is the new management in place and we were quite impressed with the professionalism, courtesy and helpfullness of this new management team. The snow conditions were just awesome during our weeklong stay (a foot of snow fell the day before our arrival) and went snowmobiling each day of our stay. Overall, we found the hotel to have absolutely everything we could want - nice decor, extremely comfortable bed and bedding, delightful new management in place and good snowfall conditions. When it came time to return home we almost did not want to leave. I love this place and of course will be back again in 2012.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank thomas m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I spent a month touring some northern parks out west during the month of October 2011 and stayed at many different motels. We generally favored Super 8 for the price and the comfortable beds, but found our reception and stay at the Super 8 in Cooke City, MT to be over the top. Julie and Tracy, brand new managers of the motel, get our vote for being the best hosts of any place we stayed. They were very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel at home. A grizzly had been making a nuisance of himself recently by breaking into vehicles and Julie had a sign posted to advise guests to bring in all things from the vehicles that had an odor to them. Their suggestions for food and dinner were much appreciated. The motel was sparkling clean, the breakfast was above and beyond any other Super 8 we visited and our room was great, with a nice view of the main street of town. We will definitely stay there again with Julie and Tracy on any return trip to Yellowstone and can highly recommend this motel to fellow travelers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ruth L
Billings, Montana
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I have spent several night in thsi place, but I have stayed there for the last time. The walls are paper thing, the staff is very rude adn the rooms are small. Seriously, if you want a decent room in Cooke City, there is only one place I have found and that's the Alpine.

Room Tip: Take a pass on this place and give the Alpine a call!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank MTFlyFish
UK
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This was our third time at the Super 8 Cooke City. I have to say that every time we have stayed at this motel, the management has been a bit "quirky".This time was no exception.
Check in. We were not given any details of breakfast or facilities of the motel at all. The manager was more intent on getting me to sign the document that said "no pets" no hot plates in the room and "no smoking" or a fine would be imposed. I was not told about anything, just handed the key and told the location of the room. I would expect some sort of info to be given at check in about hotel facilities as they would not have known we had been there before. It was left to the individual to read the information in the book in the room I guess. There is Wi Fi and laundry, and TV in the room.

Room. Basic and fairly clean.What we expected. We only booked this motel due to the location as Cooke City is good for Lamar Valley and Wolf watching. The walls are very thin. You can hear everything. We did not take breakfast, as we were out early every morning, but from what I remember from a few years ago it was nothing special. It may have got better?

We came back late one night to find that our room had not been serviced at all! I did complain about this and recieved a refund of $30. Apparently the person who cleaned the room "forgot" ours!!

During our wolf watching I compared notes with other people staying in Cooke City, who had also stayed at Super 8. They felt the same as we did, that there were better alternatives. One of these was the Elkhorn ,which I visited. The Elkhorn is a family run business, and the owner took me round to show me the rooms. They are very pleasant. It would be a little more expensive to stay a the Elkhorn, but both my husband and I decided that in future, we would prefer this alternative. The room rate at Super 8 was for us, $95 plus $ 9.50 tax per night. Totalled $418 for 4 nights.

If you need a cheap basic place, and can ignore the "quirks" of management,and the sporadic cleanliness of the rooms and general areas (not all so good we noticed ) then Super 8 will do. We like funny little Cooke City, but Super 8 has finally fallen from our favour.

Room Tip: Look at alternatives in Cooke City.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank funkymama
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Nice clean hotel. Fresh paint in lobby. Breakfast area very clean, good breakfast. Close to many sights. Close to Yellowstone. Wildlife abounds. Professional and friendly staff, will help you in any way. Great bakery next door...best sticky buns and sugar cookies! Location is remote, so take that in to account for internet and cell service. Very friendly and accomodating owners. Beautiful view from room. Nice Jacuzzi tub.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
tx
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We were there Sept 21,2011. When we walked up there was a lady and man sitting on the bench by the door, I said hello as I walked into the lobby. I asked about our reservations and the NICE man said he had just started working( he was from Illinols and just moved there) and he would find Brenda. Well...she is not a people person to say the least! When she got there and I gave her our name and said we had a reservation we were rudley told "check in is not until 2;00.", it was 1:40!!!! (We would have left had we not had a reservation, we would have been charged for the night for cx.)..We walked around town for 20 mins and came back at 2:00 on the dot. Well..a NICE blonde lady was checking in a couple and was giving them thier key card by 2:00! So they didn't have to wait for 2:00! At that point, BRENDA came down the hall and I looked at her, then the clock on the wall, the couple leaving with their card key and then back at her. She turned around and went back towards where she came from. I am not sure why she was so rude, I really did not do anything mean or rude towards her. I had read about her rudeness on TA but thought she must have had a bad day, now I think she is just rude and doesn't know how to interact with people. Hopefully the new NICE man she was training will not pick up her "people skills" as he seemed very nice and friendly as did the blonde lady that checked us in. I only wished I could think of their names. Then next morning at breakfast was very pleasant with the two NICE people there. The room was clean and we slept soundly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank alcst1
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed September 27, 2011

DO NOT trust these people with your credit card! VERY unprofessional. I didn't stay in these rooms, but I delt with them for a block of rooms for my wedding. Worst mistake.

Room Tip: Go stay at Cooke Pass at the Stillwater Cabins, or stay at the Alpine in Cooke City, Very nice peopl...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
#6 of 6 in Cooke City
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area? Share your experiences!