“Good food, very busy.”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Was here in late Sept 09 when the park and Cooke City were unexpectedly busy, so the service was a little slow but understandable. The guy there was working his tail off. The food was tasty and the atmosphere was great.

1  Thank Jollyroger519
There are newer reviews for Prospector

Reviewed July 7, 2009

I ate every dinner at the Prospector during my stay in Cooke City. The menu selection was very good, especially considering the distance from any supplier. They offered great service, a nice atmosphere and plenty of tasty food.

1  Thank SusieLou
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We eat breakfast and dinner at the Prospector for most of our visit to YNP. It is clean, great food, lots of selection, good prices, great service, friendly staff...it is the best place to eat in Cooke City by far. Don't waste your money in the other places.

1  Thank wyoynp
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Well the bartender was nice enough when I went in and asked if they had take out. The place itself was gross. Im a smoker and that place reeked of smoke. There was a woman sitting at the bar drinking, chain smoking and grunting about "damn tourists". Again I will say the bartender was very nice and helpful and we were able to get some food that we took back to our cabin. I didnt like the Soda Butte or anything about it!!!!!Including the restaurant. The food was decent, but the place it self again was dingy, dank and gross.
Also note- I live in Upstate NY I am NO priss and we camp and backpack and hike and eat out of tin cans...this place was just too "icky" for me.

2  Thank missy5
Reviewed September 3, 2007

I always take notice of highly successful restaurants in small towns. When going home for lunch is a five minute trip (or less), the impetus to " go out to eat" is good food, not neccessity.,
We found the reasons for eating at the Prospector were
The food is good, the portions plentiful, the atmosphere congenial and very western, the view approachs indiscribable.
Literally hanging above Soda Butte Creek, the dining room seems suspended over the scenery. If you don't like your scenery sober, the Ore Bucket Bar is ten paces away. They say, if you stay in the Ore Bucket 24 hours, you'll meet everyone in town.
Course that is not saying a lot in a town of 125 people.

Eat at the Prospector,drink and greet at the Ore Bucket,sleep at the Soda Butte Lodge,but please,please,please don't consider moving to Cooke City. With 125 residents , the traffic jams are bad enough as hings are.

2  Thank TheTravellingTurk