“Clean Room, Good Food, Not Very Welcoming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Skyline Guest Ranch and Guide Service
Ranked #1 of 1 Cooke City B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Clean Room, Good Food, Not Very Welcoming”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

As my title states the room was very clean, the food was good, however we did not feel welcome during our stay. It was diffucult to talk with the owners and typically got one word responses when we asked questions. This really is a great place and a nice location, just needed to feel welcome and not like we were inconveniencing the owners. By the looks of recent reviews, we were not alone in feeling this way.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Sarah K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chester County, PA
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Perhaps timing is everything but I cannot at all recommend Skyline Guest Ranch. In fact, I would stay away unless you are looking to feel awkward and uncomfortable. My spouse and I are on a very epic road trip across the United States and spending the majority of our trip in Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota. We chose Cooke City as the perfect overnight between a ride on the beautiful Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway. I am willing to accept that the night of our stay may not represent every stay at the ranch but it does represent ours. We arrived right at check in time - not early in the least. Upon arrival, there was quite a crowd of people in the family room and seated in the entry hall. No one even seemed to notice us as we stood at the desk for a few minutes. When the owner noticed us she was very apologetic and said they were having their grandson's baptism celebration. Things were extremely disorganized and the downstairs guest areas were full of family. If we had wanted to use them it would not have been possible. But to be totally honest - we would have overlooked that entirely. It was the fact that everyone we encountered - with the exception of the frenetic owner and one other sweet woman - genuinely treated us as if we were either invisible or had a disease. None of the many people we encountered even made eye contact. It was eerie. The rooms were as advertised and were clean. The breakfast was this: yogurt, pineapple and biscuits and gravy. I don't eat gravy so had biscuits and yogurt. No other options were offered. Two other notes - upon arrival the house smelled strongly of cooked vegetables which was not at all pleasant. And, the final straw for me, was that there was some sort of target shooting taking place outside when we returned to the ranch from dinner which went on until after dark. I try to be direct in my reviews and the bottom line is that this is not a place I would have chosen if I knew there would be a family gathering happening during our stay. This was not mentioned when we booked. This is not a judgement on the family but I think the circumstances were awkward and regrettable at best.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SkylineGuestRanch, Owner at Skyline Guest Ranch and Guide Service, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Here at Skyline, we strive to cultivate a pleasant and welcoming atmosphere for our guests, providing clean and comfortable lodging and excellent service. Guest satisfaction is a high priority and we very much regret that anyone has left here feeling unwelcome or unsatisfied.
We are happy to adjust the breakfast menu to meet your needs, we cater to gluten free, vegetarian, lactose intolerant, etc....just let us know, we don't want anyone to go away hungry.
The complaint of someone target practicing really stumped us. Shooting is not allowed on our property or the surrounding area, nor would it be feasible after dark. Thunder was echoing through the mountains deep into the night, that may have been what was heard.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My brother and I spent five nights at the lodge, four days on the trail fly fishing in Yellowstone with Skyline. We had a terrific experience in every way. The hospitality at the lodge was truly exceptional -- lovely comfortable room, terrific meals, welcoming and friendly family-run operation. Days in the park were superb -- unparalleled wilderness beauty, great horses, outstanding and knowledgeable guides. We couldn't have asked for anything better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had a wonderful stay here recently. The room was comfortable and large enough for our family of six. Everything was clean and it really felt like home. The made-to-order breakfast was delicious - my kids are still talking about it a week and a half later. There was initially some miscommunication about the details of our reservation, but the issue was resolved quickly and without any trouble or inconvenience to our family - to me, this was a great testament to the integrity and helpfulness of the people that run this ranch. I can't say enough good things about our stay. Because we were just passing through, we didn't get to use the hot tub or other amenities, but I am sure they are top notch.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am not sure you can take a more beautiful short trail ride anywhere!! Even the trail ride our family took in New Zealand through "Lord of the Rings" territory couldn't hold a candle to the beauty of the wilderness around Skyline Guest Ranch. We rode through fields of wild flowers, dense pine forest, cold mountain creeks, truly phenomenal.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank TXYaeger
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I vacation in Montana every year. This was our first in the Cooke City area. These folks are incredible people. The entire staff was always very courteous and genuine in their attempts to please their visitors. We spent 4 nights, wanted more but Skyline was booked for the other nights we needed. Their lodge is spotless clean, the breakfasts are extremely tasteful and artfully presented. Vic took us on a 1 day horse ride trip lake fishing and we caught some really, really nice brook and cutthroat trout. The horses were gentle and sure footed. A very comfortable ride. I can't say enough good things about Skyline Guest Ranch & Guide Service. I highly, highly recommend a visit to this area and stay at Skyline. The Beartooth Highway which is just off property is an absolutley stunnning drive. The closest thing to it I have every experienced was the Ice Fields Parkway in Canada. However, the Beartooth has more panoramic, long range views. And, the Chief Joseph Highway is only around the corner from Skyline. The Chief Joseph is a gorgeous beautiful drive in itself. All in all you won't go wrong staying at Skyline, fishing with Skyline and taking drives on the Beartooth & Chief Joseph Highways.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Skyline is a wonderful place. The hospitality is generous, the room is roomy and comfortable, the breakfast is super tasty, and how cool is it to jump on your horse in the front yard and head off into the wilderness crossing river and lakes surrounded by snow capped peaks.

There are none of the crazy crowds here that we encountered in Yellowstone and the Tetons.
Cooke City was a fun place for supper and to grab a picnic lunch. The Beartooth Highway is stunning. Our hike to Beauty Lake was incredible...bring bug spray. I would also recommend the 'above tree line' jaunt to Gardiner Lake.

Room Tip: There is not a pool but tons of beautiful chilly lakes!