“What a surprise"”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“What a surprise"”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

After a long day of driving from Seattle to Texas, I stopped at this hotel. When I pulled into the lot my first impression was "of geeze". There were truckers and RV's lined up along one side, a gas station/convenience store across the way and a casino! Since I was tired I went in anyway.... what a surprise, the lobby was modern and clean, the clerk polite and helpful.
My room was fantastic, large, updated, very clean and quiet. Beds comfy and I got a great nights sleep! I did not stay for the breakfast so I can't comment on that but I will stay there next summer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank jazz2206

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This hotel was nicer than I expected from a Super 8. They had fresh cookies at the desk when we checked in and a basket of rags that we could use to wash our motorcycles. Both were an unexpected bonus. The beds were very comfortable and there were several pillows to choose from.

It is close to I90 and a large truck stop. I assumed it would be very noisy but I never heard either.

My only complaint was the continental breakfast. We got a later start (around 8) and there was little to no options left for food. We all ended up eating a bowl of cold cereal because whatever else may have been offered was already gone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank EMK55
United States
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The hotel room was very clean and the location was ideal for me as a pit stop (even though there really isn't much in Columbus) . Price was good too. Breakfast was reasonable for the hotel class. Like others, even though there is a truck stop nearby, I didn't really hear it from inside the room.

I only had two things I wanted to warn others on. One was that the entire hotel had a moderately strong odor to it - not an absolutely awful smell but not one that was wonderful either. It was like they used too much of a perfumed cleaner to try to cover up a worse odor (which I think was a musty smell). It wasn't just the areas that allowed smoking, I had a nonsmoking room and though the hallways had a much stronger smell, my room smelled too. I eventually got used to the smell so it didn't bother me after a while but it did in the beginning. Bottom line, if you can't stand smells, don't stay here. But if you don't mind waiting the hour or so it takes to get used to the smell, then you might consider it if the price is right and location was right too like it was for me.

Also, there is no elevator (which might be true of many hotels in this area - don't know) so if you may want to make sure you have a ground floor room if you have difficulties walking or carrying your bags up stairs (though maybe there is a bell boy that can help you with your luggage-I"m not sure about that either).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This is a fairly standard Super 8 motel, with a clean room, comfortable bed, reclining chair, functional shower etc. Faster than normal internet access is available via a wired connection as well as wi-fi. The rooms are accessed via internal corridors that each have an entrance at the end of their “wing” – which seemed to help keep the noise down. The breakfast was of a good standard. The real plus point is the proximity to the Beartooth Highway – one of the best roads in the USA – en-route to Yellowstone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Garden Plain, Kansas
Reviewed May 16, 2011

If the Super 8's in the mid-west were this nice, i would stay at this chain more often.
The hotel was clean, the staff were very polite. Housekeeping was great and the breakfast was bountiful. I did not notice any truck noise. I will admit the view wasnt much but seldom do hotels offer breathtaking views. Did take a great walk along the Yellowstone River. Good beer at the "New" Atlas

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
hustekim, General Manager at Super 8 Columbus, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you so much for your commets. I would also like to thank you for staying us and we hope to see you again.
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2010

There is not much in Columbus, we stopped here as it was a convenient stopping point on a road trip having driven the Beartooth Highway out of Yellowstone.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The views are of the truck stop and gas station though and there is not much to do in the evening unless you want to visit one of the casinos that are obviously trying to attract the truckers,

Breakfast included is simple baked goods and waffles, but decent quality.

Perfectly reasonable place for an overnight stop

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bgtravellers
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed July 17, 2006

We've stayed there on my way to the Yellowstone Park. We arrived very late at night, around 2:30am. Here are the observations:

Room was ready.
Room was clean
Bathroom was clean.
Hot water was there
Soap/shampoo was there
TV worked

I did not give it 4 points because:
There is a truck stop near the hotel, so you may hear them at night. But don't worry about it, the sound is not loud, and if you will use AC or Heater, you will not hear it at all
Breakfast did not have fruits or yogurts or serial/milk, it was mostly bagels, muffins and waffles (very nice).

Bottomline:
Don't get you hopes too hight and you will not be disappointed. As a place to stay overnight its good.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank aleksandrc

Been to Super 8 Columbus? Share your experiences!