“The perfect vacation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Choteau
Deep Canyon Guest Ranch
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I just came back from my first wilderness pack trip with the Seven Lazy P and it was the perfect vacation. From my life in a big city, having each day consist of riding in Montana wilderness that is so far beyond beautiful was pure delight. You spend your week with the same horse and mine was happy, well fed and just a delight to spend 6 days riding. We were fed breakfast, lunch and dinner and if you have never been in the backcountry you wont know that its impossible to eat the amounts of wonderful food that we were fed each day. Steaks, pasta, salads, fresh fruits, along with a daily home made dessert. The food was delightful and truly appreciated as it meant I did not have to cook! Instead while someone else was taking care of my next meal, I was hiking the backcountry of Montana or sitting at the creek reading a book.

The entire staff took great care of our group and this vacation will always stay with me as the most perfect vacation! Chuck, Sharon and Dave have once again treated me like family and
have given me one more great story to tell!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Deep Canyon Guest Ranch

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I am a Brit living in New York and while I am here am trying to see some more of this vast country. I spent 6 days on a solo holiday staying at 7 lazy p and can't believe my luck. It was one of the best holidays I have ever had.
It's not the place to go if you are used to being waited on hand and foot, but if you want a warm welcome, good conversation as and when, some really friendly people, and the chance to horse ride and hike, this is the place for you. Breakfasts and dinners were lovely, all the staff very social, and the cabins very clean and comfortable. It was very comfortable travelling alone. It's worth having a car, in case you want to visit nearby attractions like Glacier, or the dinosaur museum.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nicola O
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family (including two children – 10 and 8) just returned from a week at the LazyP. We travel frequently but we’ve agreed this was our best trip ever. We did lots of horseback riding and hiking. Make sure to do the hike up to the glacially fed Hidden Lake and bring your bathing suit if you like cold swims! The food is great – Edith the cook is awesome. All the workers at the ranch are extremely friendly and knowledgeable of the local ecology. My kids spent a lot of time riding and caring for the horses – guided by Zoe and Dillon - two of several ranch hands. Then, there are the owners – Chuck and Sharon. Very down to earth and very enjoyable to talk to – they run a smooth operation.
As an aside, we spent two days working with the Two Medicine Center in nearby Choteau on one of their digs. You can sign up (and pay) to spend a day with their paleontologists and geologist on their digs. Our dig was roughly 30 mins from the LazyP and we were rewarded with several bones (and some fossilized dung!) – it is a great experience for kids. The folks at the Lazy P can put you in touch with the dino center

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2011

An authentic western experience wrapped in genuine, warm, low-key hospitality. You're treated like family at the Seven Lazy P, which exudes intimacy and charm. Chuck and Sharon epitomize the western way of life with their passionate connection to the land, and their hired hands fit the model to a T. Toss in good family-style meals and good conversation, and you have what it takes for an edu-vacation you won't forget.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank welmoor
Reviewed September 9, 2009

the Deap Canyon (Seven Lazy P) valley of the Teton River running west from Choteau into the Bob Marshall Wilderness is the home to a wonderful and exciting guest ranch/pack-tripping/elk-hunting paradise. Super comfortable cabins overlooking rugged Ear Mountain. More delicious breakfast, lunch and dinners (Lynn makes the best pies imaginable). Margo and I were fortunate to be asked to join in moving the ramada of 25 pack horses and mules to the upper ranch near the end of the North Fork...exciting to see and participate in the workings of a serious back country operation. But easy to laze around in the sumtuous main lodge in front of a crackling fire. Hosted by Sharon and Chuck Blixrud whose family have owned the complex (there 3 seperate sites depending on what you are doing) for 51 years. Every detail is loving and hand worked, every day in every way.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2004

I spent a few nights there in August, 2004 with a friend. For a dude from Boston it was a delight. Chuck and Sharon the owner/hosts are warm, friendly, and attentive to their guests as is everyone who works there.

The ranch is about midway between Glacier Park and Great Falls in a gorgeous setting in the hills of the front range. The accomodations are warm and cozy cabins nestled around the ranch. Meals are taken family style in the main dinning room. The food is very good -- hearty and plentiful. There are no TVs (a plus for me) but there are plenty of books and games in the cozy main lodge living room that has a fireplace and grand piano.

We were there for hiking and horse riding which was great. They also offer or you can find nearby fishing, hunting, wildlife viewing and a bunch of other activities.

They are horse masters and made me feel very comfortable riding for the first time since I was on a pony ride at age 8.

Staying at the ranch, I feel that I got a window into a western way of life that may be in decline -- and would never have gotten staying in a hotel or inn.

I was enchanted by the ranch and want to return with my family. I highly recommend the 7 Lazy P.

8  Thank BostonJake
Reviewed June 2, 2004

This is a fabulous guest ranch. Great people, wonderful food and lovely accomodations.

8  Thank MaryGo3

Been to Deep Canyon Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!