“always great”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Missoula
“always great”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

wonderful food, great wine list, good value. Part of reason we went to Butte was because of this cafe. I never miss going for at least one meal when in the area.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Fearlessmsla

Butte, Montana
“Nice Place for Butte”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great Early Bird Specials, only thing about the specials is they are rotated. Menu has great selection and priced reasonable. Service is better than most places and they do not ask "How is The Food" when you have a mouth full. Dress is casual and the art work on the wall is changed regularly, over all nice place to have a meal.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank travledtheworld
“A pleasant surprise in a town full of casinos...”
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

As we came into Butte from Seattle late one evening we were concerned about getting a nice meal. Seeing this was a town of steakhouses and mini casinos we were pretty sure we were out of luck. Followed TA to this lovely spot. Atmosphere was just lovely (maybe a bit loud), diverse menu with specials. The four course dinner specials were a real bargin. Nice reasonable wine list. And the service was delightful. My only suggestion for improvement is lighten up on the butter, oil and sauces. The basic ingredients were delicious and can stand by themselves :).

Denton, Texas
“Fantastic food, service and value”
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

No complaints AT ALL. We had our dinners ( they have a before 6:30 dinner special menu), wine, and coffee for $39! The food was incredible. I have diet restrictions and they go all out to make you happy. They truly are a 10! I wish I wasn't traveling and this could be my new favorite restaurant!

1 Thank swat1544
Billings, Montana
“Could have been better”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I began our somewhat planned somewhat impromptu vacation by traveling to Butte. At the end of a pretty long day we decided to have dinner at the Uptown. I had eaten there before, but she had not, but suspected that she would like this restaurant.

We are traveling with our three month old son (a pretty good little traveler) and at the end of the day we did not feel like changing from traveling clothes in something a little nicer. We were happy to see the sign outside that said “Come As You Are” and it made us feel all right with choice to dine in our traveling clothes.

We were able to be seated immediately, however we didn’t get to the restaurant until about 8PM, so reservations may be needed if you come at an earlier dinner hour. The restaurant décor is pleasantly designed. Pleasing colors and a simple table set up.

My first course was the steak and potato soup. It was a very good stew like soups, with big chucks of meat and potatoes. My wife had the gazpacho soup and enjoyed the vegetables. The second course was clams maison. I’m not a big seafood fan (in fact I don’t eat seafood unless I have to), but my wife really enjoyed the clams. The third course was a salad, she had mixed greens and I had a Caesar. Good salads, but nothing out of the ordinary.

We ordered two main courses to share. The first was the Chicken Saltobucca; a chicken breast cooked with ham and Swiss cheese. It was pretty good, but on the salty side. The special for the evening was pork medallions with apricots, cranberries and apples. This dish was fantastic. The pork was cooked just right and the seasoning went well with the fruit flavors. It was very, very good.

The most disappointed part of the evening was the service. It started out very good, but as the evening wore on, it became very bad. My wife was very interested in ordering a dessert, but we had to wait so long for someone to come check on our table after the main course, she no longer wanted to have dessert by the time someone arrived. It seemed as if all service stopped in the restaurant for about 10 or 15 minutes and we looked up several times during that period and saw no service staff anywhere in the restaurant.

Once someone did finally come to pick up our main course plates (about 20 minutes after we had finished eating) it took another 10 minutes to get the check. I would guess that there was a lost half hour in our dining experience where there was almost no service. It was quite unprofessional and seemed very out of place at the Uptown Café.

Overall I would recommend the restaurant, but we were very disappointed in the service we received and may be a little hesitant to come back.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Shoots V

Been to Uptown Cafe? Share your experiences!