“Educational, even for an Adult!”
Review of Berkeley Pit

Berkeley Pit
Ranked #2 of 30 things to do in Butte
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had no idea of the extent of mining that was taking place around Butte. The volunteer at the Berkeley Pit was very knowledgeable about the history and current info of mining and the open pit. I got an education that day!!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was a fun tourist/historic stop. The little gift shop had some neat items. The little walk out to the pit was neat and had lots of good info.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

It's a big hole filled with contaminated water. I honestly don't see what the attraction is. Our guide strongly defended it's existence and more or less said that if it weren't for our mining, which everyone has benefited from, we wouldn't have a toxic pit. Perhaps if it had been presented differently, I wouldn't have such a negative opinion.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I would first do the old historical tour in old town then go see Berkley Pit. They tell the history of Butte and then it means so much more

1  Thank Valerie V
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I didn't really expect a giant toxic pit but that is exactly what it is. There is a tunnel and platform where you view the pit. It is an interesting read though and pictures don't begin to touch on the vast size. Quick stop but something to see and learn a little about open mining .

Been to Berkeley Pit? Share your experiences!