“Wonderful Experience and Glimpse Into The Past”

Old Butte Historical Adventures-Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 4 Tours in Butte
Crosby, North Dakota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience and Glimpse Into The Past”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I took the underground walking tour over St. Patrick's Day weekend. It took about 2 hours and the gentleman giving the tour was actually one who helped discover the speakeasy just by removing a wall mirror and discovering a hole in the wall behind it! He was just an informative and passionate guide. We enjoyed seeing the old jail, as well and learning the history behind all the corruption of the authorities back in the day. If you only do one thing in Butte, take in one of these tours. Due to the historical nature of this tour, there really is no accessibility for wheelchairs or strollers and would be difficult for someone who is not able to stand for at least 2 hours at a time. Also, be prepared for colder temperatures on the underground tour. Wear coats and appropriate footwear. You are underground with stone and dirt walls and no heat.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank MarianneWamhoff

Ocala, FL
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Wonderful Artifacts & Much History”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This tour is filled with history & time period artifacts that are simply amazing. The law office & collection office were my favorites. The facts and stories related about the jail were intriguing & unsettling. A visit to the speakeasy and witnessing how business was conducted in days gone bye was eye opening. Each particular location held special facts with various items of that time period. My guide was very knowledgeable and effortlessly reiterated those facts.

It is obvious that much time & effort has been expended in providing this level of tour. Once your tour has concluded you may do a waking tour & read historical plaques placed throughout the city.

When in Butte, spend a few hours with the tour company and garner more history than you could ever read about in a 2-hour time period. The fee for the tour is truly nominal.

Great tour, informative & very, very interesting.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Glendawpb
Seattle
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A must-do in Butte!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you're visiting Butte, I really believe that a walking tour with Old Butte Historical Adventures is a must-do. I found about this outfit just days before our trip and I'm so glad we included the Underground Butte tour in our itinerary! I'm not going to post pictures as I don't want to give things away, but I found the experience more than well-worth the $15 price. The Underground tour hits a couple of fantastic speakeasys and the extremely creepy former Butte jail. Our guide Levi was awesome...excellent at his job, with a vast knowledge of Butte and great storytelling style!

1 Thank Jennifer C
Tucson, Arizona
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Walked to my heart's content”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Because I was only a party of one, I had to keep calling to check on tour availability. I took the "east" tour from 10 - 12 and the "underground" tour from 12 - 2. I had the best time. Many of the buildings have historical plaques describing the architecture of the time, I went into former speakeasies, brothels and the cabbage patch (slum) area. The walking tours gave me a perspective on the life in early Butte.

3 Thank terri c
Billings, Montana
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Butte, America”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Every year my wife and I visit Butte for An Ri Ra--a wonderful Irish Festival. Every year we try to explore something different.

We took an underground Butte tour a couple of years ago and chose to do so again this year as we were traveling with friends. The guide was knowledgeable, the stops were amazing and this is a wonderful way to experience Butte.

Once the "richest hill on earth," Butte was a mining city, settled and built in large part by the Irish. Home of Evil Kneviel, it was a rough town full of good people, good times and lot's of wealth. This tour is a great visit to opulent hotels, hidden speakeasys and corrupt cops.

$15 for a two hour walking tour and worth every cent. Our friends? They're coming back to Butte. Try it--perhaps you will too.

1 Thank Robert D