“Extrodinary Lodge!”

Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Bozeman
Billings, Montana, United States
“Extrodinary Lodge!”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Gallatin River Lodge for our 1st wedding anniversary while in Bozeman. We had originally only had plans to eat here for dinner, but wanted to extend our stay. I had emailed the lodge at 11:30pm the night before our dinner reservation, inquiring if they had any rooms available. Promptly at 7:30 am, I was called by the manager Keith, informing me that they did in fact have rooms available. I was offered a room, and personal invitation to come fly fish their 2 or 3 miles private access to the Gallatin river. I immediately booked the room over the phone and awaited my arrival.

Upon arriving at the lodge, we were greeted by name as if we were family, or if we had been there before, even though it was our first time staying at GRL! As a former employee of a AAA 5 diamond resort, I certainly did not expect this level of sincere service in the middle of Montana. Boy, was I suprised. Keith the manager gave us a tour or the property, and lodge, showed us to our room, and even offered to carry up our bags.

The room was absolutely immaculate, flat screen tv, king bed, jacuzzi tub, and everything one could need in a room. Bed was comfortable, and the room had a "at home feeling."

Dinner was spectacular, with cocktails before. As an avid BBQ'er/griller, the chef's special smoked pork chop was one of the best I have ever had. The dining room was overlooking the trout pond and deer grazing in the field. We ended the evening with a fantastic creme brulee, and another fantastic cocktail, along with a walk along the property, to the gallatin river to fish the evening hatch while watching 2 fawn deer and several others graze near by.

We woke up feeling refreshed, and had a terrific breakfast overlooking the pond and field. I will definitely return, and recommend this lodge to all of my clients. Overall rating 5/5 stars. The staff and views made this an anniversary that will not soon be forgotten.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We came across this place by accident on our motorcycle trip through the western US and we couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. To remark on the previous review, there are a few different types of rooms, there are rooms that seem to be more geared toward the groups that come for a sporting/fishing lodge, but there are also rooms that have more of a spa feel to them as well. We stayed in a "spa" room that was contemporary/modern and had one of the most amazing beds (and bedding) that we've ever slept in. We actually ended up inquiring about, and purchasing, a full set of the bedding...something that I've never even contemplated doing at an inn before. Regarding the food, it honestly sounds like we ate at a different restaurant than the last reviewer. The bread was freshly baked sea salt bread that was to die for in itself, but when dipped into the amazing sauce that came with the perfectly seared, perfectly cooked scallop appetizer, it was over the top. Our entrees were fresh, creative, and delectable. The specials changed daily, the english muffins at breakfast were also homemade...though the breakfasts generally don't compare to the dinners, they are still very good, and the friendliness and warmth of the place and its staff make it a comfortable and very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: We loved our room in the new building that had a patio that overlooked the beautiful property. If t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jcfrank77
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at the GRL July 3rd through July 7th, 2012. This was my second stay here.Here are my recommendations:

1. I liked the rooms in the main lodge ( second level) over the new Trout Cabin rooms. The new trout Cabin rooms are smaller and more noisy in my opinion. I could easily here some chatty Kathy types in the room next to me at 9pm .

2. I am very well traveled and I thought the food and wine at the cabin were just fine, despite other reviews. I totally disagree with past reviews of poor food and bad service..totally ! Actually I thought the service was OUTSTANDING!

3. I would recommed( if your are in good shape) to have a guide take you on a walking trip on the Gallatin River behind the lodge. You can really hit some nice water for as long as you want and then move on to morw nice fishing spots WHEN YOU WANT. On float trips you only get one shot a some good fishing water. You must be in good physical shape if you do so because there is some rough territory ( but beautiful ! ) back on the Gallatin behind the lodge.You will not see another group fishing the whole day! In other words you will probable have this section of the Gallatin to yourself. How nice!!!

4. Don't worry about the beds....they are VERY comfortable, indeed!!! The rooms are exceptionally clean.

This was brief review but I hope it was helpful to someone, as I would not have written it without the thought that it might help some traveler.

Room Tip: The new " Trout" cabin rooms are smaller than the larger rooms in the main lodge. They wou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ted1348
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Made a last minute reservation and went with some hesitation but could not have been more pleased. Maybe our good luck or the tone of the accommodations and staff, even with a large family staying 2 of our 4 nights it was like an immediate extended family. Others you saw only at dinner after their fishing and trail hike adventures, lots of great stories.
My wife and I were starting week 3 of our cross-country road trip vacation and Montana was our rest stop before heading back to South Carolina. We slept peacefully, walked around the property and just lounged around the lodge and enjoyed every minute. Meals were made to perfection, having breakfast made however you want in any combination made for a great start to each day and dinner almost made you want each day to hurry up and end so you could try something new on the menu.
Close enough to downtown Bozeman to get my Starbucks fix, minutes from dozens of hiking trailhead, but far enough away to forget about the rest of the world. Mentioned to the staff that we would be leaving at 4am and what do you know, the kitchen staff were already coming in to prepare breakfast for family at 5am and they wanted to make us breakfast also (we passed on the offer).

Only two things took away from my stay 1, no refrigerator in MY room may lavender different in the main lodge (I didn't inquire) and if only it had closer view of the beautiful mountains from the property.

Simply put, already recommended to all my friends and family and to anyone I may meet in the future. Thanks for all creating such a beautiful respite for weary travelers and stressed city dwellers (our neighbours).

Room Tip: Smaller downstairs Trout Cabins are great if you can live without the Jacuzzi. Be quiet coming out t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Our experience here was incredible - the lodge is truly first class. Keith (the manager) is one of the nicest people we have ever met.

We had a large suite that comes with a jacuzzi, flat screen tv and a nice fireplace. From the moment we walked into the lodge, we knew it was going to be wonderful. We ate there a few times for dinner and the food is truly superb! The free (and absolutely delicious) breakfast was also a great addition to an already wonderful experience.

Highly recommend this lodge!!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank lovetravel518
Bloomington
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Great staff, super nice comfortable rooms, quiet, dog friendly can't say enough good things about this gem!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank SuperDaveA
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Gallatin River Lodge from May 3 to May 6 and had a fabulous stay. It is a world class lodge. The staff could not have been any more attentive, the room (105 as I recall) was perfect, the dining was great, and our fishing guide (Ryan) was outstanding. Steve Gamble (owner) and Keith Comiso (manager) have it all together. Harry & Mary Johsnton

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple