“Exquisite new tastes in Bozeman”
Review of saffron table

saffron table
Reserve with OpenTable
saffron table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 240 Restaurants in Bozeman
Cuisines: Indian, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Saffron Table is your destination for mouthwatering treats from the diverse cuisine of South Asia. Our contemporary table offers an assortment of locally sourced vegetables, organic meats and wild-caught fish cooked in aromatic spices to awaken the senses and transport you to this exotic part of the world. From fresh biryanis and steaming curries to beloved street fare of samosas and pakoras, Saffron Table invites you to take a seat and enter a new world of tastes and sensations that will keep you coming back for more.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The newly renovated space is very bright and clean and attractive. it is a bit small, with small tables, but there is also a pleasant garden spot outside to enjoy during these warmer days. We felt our food was very flavorful and very well cooked. Our appetizer of vegetable pakoras was nicely spiced and very crisp, but with a pleasant vegetable flavor. The chicken tandoori was traditionally flavored with nice spice and cooked excellently-still juicy. it was served with a very good layered potato dish and roasted bok choy. The traditional curry was halibut and potatoes in a very spicy dry curry. The fish was somewhat overpowered with the spices but it, also, was cooked perfectly. We enjoyed some local beers with our meal and finished with an elegant chocolate samosa: small deep -fried coronets of pastry filled with warm, spicy, chocolate ganache and served with a rhubarb compote. In all, it was a flavorful and satisfying dinner. Both the owner and the chef came over to visit with us and ask what we thought of our meal. We will definitely return.

2  Thank Karen L
There are newer reviews for saffron table

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Pros- clean, bright, nice tables, attentive servers
Cons- small and somewhat cramped, not complete traditional Indian food.

I will give a disclaimer, I have traveled through northern India and I also have Punjabi friends who own a restaurant as well as family in Jaipur, so my experience with Indian food is strongly influenced by the northern India region.

We were passing through Bozeman on our way back from Yellowstone and had a hankering for some Indian food. This was the only Indian restaurant listed on trip advisor and it had good reviews so we decided to give it a whirl. We ordered samosas, tandoori chicken, and naan. What we ordered was not traditional Indian food. This is what they mean by "contemporary" in the title. The samosa filling tasted good, but they appeared to be stuffed in a wonton shell rather than a maida flour shell. They were also on the small side compared to the ones sold in Indian roadside stands and other restaurants. The tandoori was just a whole chicken breast on the dry side served on top of sauce that tasted like canned tomato sauce mixed with garam masala and seemed overpriced for $22. The naan was unlike any other naan that I have had. It had the consistency of a chewy, flat biscuit and was sprinkled with salt.

While the food was not unpleasant, it was not what I had in mind for an Indian restaurant, especially for pretty standard fare.

I would not return, because I felt it was overpriced and not my idea of Indian food.

4  Thank Jillian12345
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The food was great, the service excellent and the vibe was uplifting and welcoming. I really liked the cozy, friendly ambiance. We'll be going back.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Excellent contemporary south Asian restaurant. The equal of the best places in New York or Vancouver. Impeccable service. Carefully and artfully prepared dishes. And the flavours -- unique, subtle, and deeply satisfying. We had several small and medium dishes, and three of the entrees: braised lamb, vegetable biryani, and chicken tandoori. Naan fresh from the tandoori oven. Topped it off with two extraordinary desserts. Not a mediocre dish in the bunch.

Restaurant is small, but they have a large and pleasant outdoor patio for enjoying those warm summer evenings. Will definitely be back.

Note: this is becoming a very popular spot. Reservations are recommended if you wish to sit inside.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Having visited this location frequently in the past when it housed the cozy chocolate shop, I was surprised by the light and bright transformation into a welcoming restaurant. While the tables are quite close together, there is a very pleasant looking outdoor seating area that could relieve the cramped feeling once it is opened for the summer. I had heard about the Saffron Table from friends who gave it rave reviews. It did not disappoint. We ordered the eggplant starter which is quite substantial. For the main course, we had the halibut and the curry special along with the garlic naan. The dishes were presented beautifully. But the flavor was simply off-the-charts fabulous. I would say this was one of the best curry dishes I've ever had. The spices were just right - not too overwhelming and the perfect combination for a flavorful meal.

Bozeman is fortunate to have such terrific restaurants for a small town. Saffron Table will be on the top of my list. It is a welcome addition.

1  Thank Denise M