“The Best of Montana!”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wallace Street
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We headed over to Ale Works at the recommendation of our hotel front desk and also the favorable Trip Advisor reviews. Let me add one more ringing endorsement. I loved the place from the moment I walked in and the enjoyment did not ebb through the duration of dinner. First off, the atmosphere is lively and energetic without being frenzied. You get the feeling good conversations are being had everywhere. The old train station surroundings add a historic and nice touch. It felt a little dark when we walked in, but the eyes adjust quickly. We were seated at a corner table, which was just out of the way enough so that we probably took in less noise than others. I would suspect tables right in the middle of the restaurant might be noisier than ours, but we had no issues with it. All of us enjoyed the menu - great choices to be had. And I have to put in a huge plug for the kids menu, which I relayed to our server. How refreshing to see nice choices like salmon, grilled chicken, etc., for the kids rather than the standard chicken nuggets and hot dogs. Obviously a place that calls itself "ale works" prides itself on solid beer selections, and they came through on that front. Ordered a locally brewed IPA and it was delicious (so good I had seconds :). We ordered a variety of main dishes and all were thoroughly enjoyed. One of our kids said the grilled chicken from the kids' menu was the best she had ever had. Another enjoyed the 4-cheese mac & cheese (which I sampled and endorsed). I had the spinach pecan salad with salmon on top. Highly recommended! One of my top salads ever. I still think about it every now and then...might be reason enough to return to Bozeman sooner rather than later. And our server was fun, knowledgeable and took good care of us. All in all, an A plus effort from this ale house!

1  Thank NotMarcoPoloMA

Reviewed September 20, 2012

First thing to note is that Ale Works is in a renovated train station. Absolutely beautiful building in that it appears they maintained much of the old building. At there twice this week. Got the Bison Patty Melt on Sunday and had the Ribeye last night. Exceptional service was the high-light for both visits. Not to say the food wasn't good, because it was very good. Tommy was our server last night. Was there with a group of about 25 folks. Drinks didn't run dry, empty glasses were quickly bussed, and empty plates mysteriously disappeared. If I lived here, Ale House would be a stable in my dining experience.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

You gotta love Bozeman; great location, college town, nice size and plenty of great eateries. Montana Ale Works is another fine choice and a very lively place.. Built in an old railroad depot that dates back to the turn of the last century, the Ale Works is huge, and loud, with a high, open ceiling. As the restaurant fills, the party atmosphere increases and the decibel level rises accordingly. The volume is indicative of the clientele having fun so don't knock it. This is not the place for an intimate conversation, but the challenge of hearing, or being heard, over the roar is part of the charm. Good food and great service complete the experience. But what if you want something more intimate? Call ahead and reserve a table in the Grill Room. The Grill Room is like a restaurant within a restaurant, a small (10 tables), quiet dining area set off to the side. It offers the same menu and great service but in a slightly more upscale (and much quieter) setting. Whether you choose the party or the privacy you'll get good value for your dollar in a fun setting. For something different try the meatloaf. The combination of bison, bacon, and pork turn this traditional comfort food into something very special.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We went to this place two times and each time we were impressed with the quality of food, excellent service and great staff. We enjoyed their excellent selection of Micro Brewery choices and enjoyed our evening in this place. We highly recommend it to anyone staying in Bozeman and will definitely go there on our next trip.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Excellent Kobe burger! Great fish tacos. Parking can be a problem. My husband let me out to get on the list for a table while he found a parking place. The hostess gave me a beeper/buzzer that would go off when our table was ready. Husband came in and we made a bee-line to the bar. They were busy, but not horribly busy. The bartender was helpful and took the time to explain some of the beer options. Our table was ready before we had our beer. As soon as we were seated, the waitress appeared to see if she could get us anything while we looked at the menu. I ordered the burger but asked if it could be served w/o the bun. She immediately asked if I was gluten intolerant. Bonus points for her! I said no, I was just trying to avoid it as much as possible. She said she asked because the fries that come with it have flour added to the outside and if I was gluten intolerant she would make sure I got the gluten-free fries. How refreshing to have such a knowledgeable waitress! Definitely will be back!